Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

Sleeping in the ends of the A-frame....

Hey all, new guy here.
I'm Russ

How many of you are sleeping in the ends of the A-frame?
You know, where the roof line is about 12" above your head!
You have to climb in bed over your significant other.

I'm feeling a little claustrophobic back in there, and if I wake up first, hate to climb over my wife to get out of bed. Thus waking her up.

Plus, the cover (blanket) we have on the bed is only as wide as the bed. After we get in there isn't much blanket to cover oneself. Especially during a cold night in the mountains.

Please share your experience, and solutions to bunking in the A-frame.
Thanks,
Russ
Old 06-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

The one time my wife camped with me, she was in the coffin corner and had to crawl over me to get out. Not very comfortable for either of us. I use a queen size comforter from Ikea to get the coverage for length of the bed. It's wide enough to cover the mattress with room to spare.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Our Aliner had a shelf across the back wall which we removed to gain more room. That said, A-frames are space limited so you better like to cuddle.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
jpo

Neither of us like being pinned against the wall so about half the time we sleep in separate beds...while in the A-frame ❤️
jpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

We just took our camper out for the first time last week. My husband it 6ft + so we each took a bed and swapped back and forth each night to try them out. I started out on the "table bed" and he used the "bigger bed". That is how we avoided having to climb over each other.
azmotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 AM   #6

Wife and I have both taken turns under the bubble window, and honestly I don't think it's bothered either of us. I even had 6 people crammed into mine on the last trip and it was cozy but we slept well.

I Also use a good sized queen blanket, but most f the time the wife and I end up with our own, we're both blanket thieves.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

Yup - separate beds and a queen size comforter. I added a down mattress cover since I get the "big" (he offered and I accepted) and sleep like a rock.
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

OK!
Looks like so far, separate bunks, and queen size blankets!
More responses please!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Happy AFrame Campers

Sleeping in the ends of the A-frame....

I vote for coziness and crawlin' on the big bed! It's just right for us. However, can certainly understand individual couples' preferences, or varying your sleeping configuration.

Based on the post from Luv70sFords, I think a related thread should be started ... "How many folks can you sleep in your Aframe?" 😀

Enjoy a wonderful camping season, everyone!
yayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

This aspect of camping pops up in many areas. We are not all the same size. At 5'10" / 150lbs and DW at 5' / 105 lbs the bed in an A-frame is adequate. For my 6'1" / 250lb son-in-law it is near impossible.
There was a discussion recently regarding shower stall height in regular TTs. What is good for me in a particular unit is a no go for others.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayus View Post
I vote for coziness and crawlin' on the big bed! It's just right for us. However, can certainly understand individual couples' preferences, or varying your sleeping configuration.

Based on the post from Luv70sFords, I think a related thread should be started ... "How many folks can you sleep in your Aframe?" 😀

Enjoy a wonderful camping season, everyone!
2. We could put a 3rd on a pallet on the floor, but DH would have to step over him/her to get to the toilet. Only 1 bed and we fill it!

2013 T12SC
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
bentbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #12

We have the A194HW with only one bed/dinette. My husband sleeps on the outside (I have to crawl over him if I have to get up during the night)...it doesn't really bother him or me.

We have two large dogs (88 lb. and 94 lb.)--sometimes both on the bed with us, sometimes one on the floor and one in bed.....my husband makes them stay on my side of the bed--just like at home. I'm used to it and sleep fine.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

We are in the cozy camp. Hubby is 6'5", so we LOVE that he can sleep full length in the wide Rockwood and he can stand up to full height too (can't do that in any travel trailer we've stepped in). I cozy between him and the wall and climb over him if I need to get up. Youngest daughter sleeps on the dinette which we keep as a bed as we spend most of our time outside. If another daughter joins us, the girls sleep head to toe on the dinette. Youngest complains that others are invading her space, but it works for a couple nights! Oh, girls have dad's height so these are not small children.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #14

Just curious if anyone has tried sleeping with toes in the little part and heads at the front - so cross wise on the bed. Or is it too short? We aren't owners yet but plan to be within the next year so I'm curious about this too.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Just curious if anyone has tried sleeping with toes in the little part and heads at the front - so cross wise on the bed. Or is it too short? We aren't owners yet but plan to be within the next year so I'm curious about this too.
I have the A194HW which doesn't even have a full Queen (not as wide)--so no, we can't use it sleeping the other way. BELIEVE me--I tried!!
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Can't do it on any of them but the 213, which has a king size bed (or 2 twin beds depending on if you set it up that way)The larger box trailers are queen sized, which is only about 5' wide. The smaller trailers have a full bed, which is even narrower.

I had originally ordered the 213 for this very reason, but due to issues getting one I opted for the 212. I'm glad I did. The layout of the bed in the 213 really eats away at counter space, something I'm finding is a highly precious commodity in an aframe.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
I have the A194HW which doesn't even have a full Queen (not as wide)--so no, we can't use it sleeping the other way. BELIEVE me--I tried!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv70sFords View Post
Can't do it on any of them but the 213, which has a king size bed (or 2 twin beds depending on if you set it up that way)The larger box trailers are queen sized, which is only about 5' wide. The smaller trailers have a full bed, which is even narrower.

I had originally ordered the 213 for this very reason, but due to issues getting one I opted for the 212. I'm glad I did. The layout of the bed in the 213 really eats away at counter space, something I'm finding is a highly precious commodity in an aframe.
Thanks guys! Will keep this in mind when we get ready to pull the trigger!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #18

I'm 6'7" so I don't have much of a choice as to which way I sleep in my T21TBHW. The twins are 5 inches too short. One of the things I love about this unit is all the possible bed configurations. When camping alone, I sleep across the twins and on the cushion on the night stand. With one grandkid, I sleep on the dinette bed. He or she sleeps cross ways on the other end. That way we have a "couch" using the king bed insert for our back. With two grandkids, I still get the dinette and they each have a twin bed. With three or four grandkids, they sleep on the king bed. Haven't tried it with all five yet!
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #19

i find it not an issue with the hw version. i'm 6'3" so i understand the concern, and that was major factor in our purchase. 2017 t19qbhw
Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #20
gpa

Yep we use the 2 bed system, the significant other gets the big bed, and I get the dinette. I removed the table and cut some slats for the dinette bed. we use a tv tray for a table if we need one. adds a lot of floor space. We do all of our cooking outside.

2014 t12rb
2015 F-150

Tags
a-frame, frame