Old 09-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

Small leak from furnace after heavy rain

I was towing this weekend through some torrential rain, and on setting up I noticed just a bit of water on the floor in front of the furnace, and a little inside after removing the furnace cover.

This rain was crazy, so I'm thinking it was just water that splashed up inside the exterior furnace vents, and maybe is nothing to worry about.

Anyone else had this happen?

As a side note, I did have a small leak in some water fittings under the sink this trip. Tightening them up seems to have solved it. Everything in this camper rattles like crazy while towing, so that's probably something to check every so often.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

As for the furnace vents, I don't think you got water from the vents as the intake vent goes to the heat chamber and the hot exhaust goes out the other vent. So it is more or less a closed system with respect to the vents allowing rain or water to get in the camper.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Just got back from our trip to the Black Hills. The first day/night we had driving rains and thunderstorms. I later spotted a stain - looked like milk at first - on the floor in front of the heater. I thought maybe some milk had leaked out of the fridge, although I never saw any spilled milk inside the fridge. Now that you mention your experience, I'm wondering if we had the same thing. I'll be doing some more checking.
FWIW, the Black Hills were incredible. We camped at Stockade Lake North in Custer State Park, which had big, isolated campsites well away from the road. And the town of Custer is 4 miles away if you need anything - Custer State is a huge park, and you can be well away from any towns. Highly recommended. Saw Mammoth Wooly sinkhole and fossils, Mt Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. Highlight of trip was sunrise wildlife tour - herd of buffalo along the road, single buffalo playing, bull elk bugling and watching over his 30 elk herd (two different herds), deer, prong horn antelope, prairie dogs. "Where Buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play, and the skies are not cloudy all day."

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 09-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
FWIW, the Black Hills were incredible.
We were out there with the a-frame two years ago and stayed at Blue Bell campground in Custer... And it was incredible! One of the nicest parks I've ever been to, and of course there is plenty to do in the Black Hills.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Head Rambler

I would check the caulking around the furnace faceplate on the outside of the unit. There's a lip that's an ideal angle to direct water into the unit.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Can you explain further?..? My unit is up and prepped for our last escape of the season.

Tags
furnace, leak