Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

smelly fridge issue (fixed)

I thought I would post my experience for the group. Took the camper to Graves Island to see how the grandson would react (he had loads of fun). The fridge had a funky smell. I turned it down and the smell wend away, but it wouldn't cool. I turned it off.

Disclaimer

WARNING! Improper repair of propane appliances can cause death, or serious injury. This is for information purposes only. Please take your propane furnace to an authorized service center for repair.

Yesterday I removed the burner from the bottom of the stack and saw a lump of soot the size of my thumbnail sitting on the burner. I was able to easily remove it. Since I was already into it I decided to clean the stack. One screw to remove the top angled T portion. The spiral baffle just sits in there with a hook. A piece of steel wool the size of my thumb tied to one end of a piece of twine, and a small nut on the other. Drop the nut down the stack and pull the steel wool through a couple of times. Don't forget to clean the spiral baffle. Put everything back together, did a soapy water leak test, and it works like new.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Please check your gas pressure, Sooting is caused by improper combustion, gas pressure too low , or air flow/burner improperly adjusted. You may have cleaned up the aftermath but not fixed it.

Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the input, I will check that. I didn't see any means to change the A/F ratio, just fixed holes in the side of the burner tube?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Old Enough to Know Better

It probably doesn't have an air shutter (I have not looked at mine for a while) just make sure burner is clean and pressures are correct. You should end up with a blue flame with a small yellow tip. Too much yellow equals sooting as it is too rich.
Regards
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge