Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

So many locks

I've been trying to figure out what kind of lock to put on the tongue (is that even the right term?) of my camper, so it doesn't get stolen out of my driveway when I downsize to one driving vehicle, by searching the forums. It's hard to figure out what lock to choose for that, but then I am reading about locks to put in other places. While parked. While towing. On the hitch. For the generator. Battery. This. That. It's all so confusing.

Basically, what are the essential locks should I be using, where and why?

I did figure out putting a padlock to the left of the camper door in order to keep the roof shut during towing.
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Get a ball the same size as your hitch and cut the shank off and padlock the latch closed. That they will not be able to hitch it. They can still hook the chains unless you padlock the chains together around the jack.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

There is no fool proof lock just slows them down a bit........ fortunately it doesn't happen but it does happen........ I had a race with a friend we each had a #3 Master lock I had the key he had .... pick tools ... he got his to open faster than I did with the key.......

Good Luck..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

I got so much locks and keys that goes with them but I use them to prevent the casual theft. I like the idea of locking the chains, I'll do that next time. Here are the locks I highly recommend:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3027790317.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	30695
The bike chain around the battery is a must. The coupler lock and the red ball inside
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2109089338.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	30696
Lock the tire and a bike chain to lock the BAL leveler.

I got insurance for the rig just in case...
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

Trimax Locks makes a nice stainless reciever and trailer tounge set of dogbone locks that are keyed alike. Along with a variety of other locks. After I bent the tongue lock by backing into it, it was replaced with an inexpensive tongue lock from Walmart because my Niagara was pretty old at that point.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

Locks just stop lazy crooks - luckily they are mostly lazy.
I found this one, and so far the trailer is still there.
Trimax UMAX50 Premium Universal 'Solid Hardened Steel' Trailer Lock (fits all couplers) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

X2 OldCoot, I did the same with my TT, cut off the threaded shank on a old trailer ball leaving a nub to grab hold of and just lock it to the coupler. A word of advice is to figure out how many locks you need and get them all keyed the same, will save time looking for keys......

MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

I picked up one like this at Northern Tools.

Trailer Accessories - Reese

Not a perfect solution but I think it helps us sleep better at night. I am just happy we live in a good neighborhood.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Trimax Locks makes a nice stainless reciever and trailer tounge set of dogbone locks that are keyed alike. Along with a variety of other locks. After I bent the tongue lock by backing into it, it was replaced with an inexpensive tongue lock from Walmart because my Niagara was pretty old at that point.
Where would I put these locks? I have seen links to other, similar-looking locks but I can't really figure out where they go. Is one supposed to go in place of the pin when I stick the ball hitch on my van? Is that for extra security while driving, in case the normal pin might vibrate out, or something?
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #10

To reduce keys, I use a combination code receiver lock made by Trimax. A keyed coupler ball lock is used when we leave campground to explore local area. I bought a battery lock but havent used it since whrn trailer not in use, is in the shop in backyard.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

If you don't cross the chains and lock them around the jack, the hitch locks can be useless. They can cross the chains under the tongue and pull the trailer off somewhere and remove the hitch lock.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaFoomin View Post
Where would I put these locks? I have seen links to other, similar-looking locks but I can't really figure out where they go. Is one supposed to go in place of the pin when I stick the ball hitch on my van? Is that for extra security while driving, in case the normal pin might vibrate out, or something?
The big one replaces as a hitch pin in the receiver. The smaller locks through a hole that secures the trailer coupler. They are stainless and would be the dickens to cut off without making a racket from using high speed power tools.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #13

Back to the OP, I would recomend a wheel lock and the cable on the battery box. An A122 could be taken on a flat bed pretty easily.

That said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you don't cross the chains and lock them around the jack, the hitch locks can be useless. They can cross the chains under the tongue and pull the trailer off somewhere and remove the hitch lock.
I willl take that suggestion about the chains - I think I can fit them in the hitch lock.

How far can someone go on the chains? I had a truck in front of me hauling a boat once. First a huge nut came bouncing out from under them, next the boat started to make fast left-right moves. (Seems someone forgot to tighten the ball-nut.)

When the chains or hooks failed it went just left of an over-pass and down a hill and rolled.

It seems like chains can get you stopped, but not much more - when done right

(by the way, as an observer the pucker factor was 11)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
How far can someone go on the chains?
Far enough to get away to a less conspicuous location or get it loaded on a flatbed?

It seems like a trial of imagination to protect our trailers. I liked the idea of locking the chains, but imagine some forward thinking thief could just run their own chain set through the a frame and away they go. Fortunately most thieves are not too forward thinking or they wouldn't be thieves in the first place.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Far enough to get away to a less conspicuous location or get it loaded on a flatbed?

It seems like a trial of imagination to protect our trailers. I liked the idea of locking the chains, but imagine some forward thinking thief could just run their own chain set through the a frame and away they go. Fortunately most thieves are not too forward thinking or they wouldn't be thieves in the first place.
X2

I don't worry too much about locking the camper but I do lock up my small trailers in the yard............

We had a thief break into a small local store had their car full of stolen stuff like smokes, etc. they would have gotten away but................... they ran out of gas in front of our house......... our old Lab a great judge of character (shes gone now) did not like them much so they asked for gas at the fence .....made a call to the local deputy & off to the slammer they went......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Get a ball the same size as your hitch and cut the shank off and padlock the latch closed. That they will not be able to hitch it. They can still hook the chains unless you padlock the chains together around the jack.
Pretty darn good ideas, and now I know what to do with my spare 2 5/16" ball hitch!
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #17

I don't care about someone taking the camper..........heck I would love it. What an excuse to get a new one. Plus....most insurance companies pay replacement cost or at the very least.......retail value plus sales tax. I just don't want the small break ins and steal the contents leaving the camper
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Regardless of all the locks, cables, chains, etc. A determined thief with a cordless grinder w/ cutoff wheel will get it in less than 5 minutes. Like the old saying goes, "locks only keep honest people honest"
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
I don't care about someone taking the camper..........heck I would love it.
I didn't quite pray for someone to take may Niagara, but it was worth more as an insurance claim than as a sale, because of the replacement value in the policy. I couldn't bring myself to do anything that would have enticed thieves either because whatever financial benefit it might have been, getting your stuff stolen is ultimately not a good thing.

Now I did park under several potentially weak limbed trees while camping.....

2012 Rockwood A122S