Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Solar

Hubby had this brainstorm last night...Would it be possible to connect the solar panels to the trailer through the plug that connects to the TV? We are picking up our A122BH Wednesday. With the PU we had, we installed a 'cigarette lighter' connector to charge the battery with the solar. If his idea is possible, we wouldn't have to 'install' anything, just plug into the existing connector. Any advice?

51 hours to pickup....
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

If I remember correctly a friend of mine did that to keep his batteries charged. You just have to figure out where the wires go.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #3

this strongly depends on the strength of your solar panel. Wiring it through a cigarette lighter is probably for a much smaller panel. What size (in watts) are you looking at hooking up ??

d-mo
Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
this strongly depends on the strength of your solar panel. Wiring it through a cigarette lighter is probably for a much smaller panel. What size (in watts) are you looking at hooking up ??

d-mo
we have three 15 watt panels (I think that is right, harbor freight purchase)
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

I also have the 45 watt solar unit from Harbor Freight. You will need to be very careful as to what you hook up to, I am not sure what 'wires to the TV you are referring to. Notice the wires from the solar panels that can clip to the battery posts and how small they are, these small wires handle the current from the panels (45 watts is not a lot of juice) if the plug you are referring to is the pigtail that connects your TT to your TV while traveling and you make sure you wire negative to negative and solar positive to the positive wire that goes to charge you TT battery I personally think you would be ok connecting it this way. Like I said though you or Hubby needs to be sure you are getting onto the correct wires or you could get some electrical shorts going. Good luck.

Dale
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS
2013 Tundra
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Make sure to have a charge controller in there or you can overcharge the batteries and that could be "bad".

Tags
solar