Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #11

The system Josh has kicks butt! He got a fantastic deal!! I ended up buying the monochrystalline panels from Goal Zero. DH set up the panel on a pole that attaches (and easily detaches) to the tongue, by the battery and it swivels/rotates to catch the direction of the sun. It is not hard wired, uses an alligator clip charge controller. (www.goalzero.com)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #12

Photos please...I'd love to see that set up with the attachment to the tongue.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #13

Brettmargo, DH left this a.m. in his truck camper with the solar pole in the back of his pull aLong trailer for a week of fishing and man time. You and he sound similar in thought process for no drilling or holes. Lol

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

just a small post about batteries. Dont go cheap ... get as much residual power as possible. My first set were Nautalist group 29, and after 2.6 years of recharging and looking after them like they were small children, they both toasted at the same time, dead cells in both ....
My last purchase of batteries cost me alot more than the Nautalist, but have an 18 month full replacement warranty, push out and keep way more amps than the previous, and will most likely last me at least 5 years ...

d-mo
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Anyone have any advice about purchasing a solar panel to use with my Flagstaff T12RB Aframe? My main concern is running the lights and possibly the fan. Donít want to over do it but whatís that saying better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Not sure what the cost will be guess Iíll have to determine my budget as I receive more information.
This is my first year with the Aframe learning as I go along so please keep this strictly Solar Panels for Dummies. Appreciate the help.
I looked into this for my tent trailer. I replaced all lighting with low powered LED. I also have my vehicle's second battery hooked up for use as well so about 200 amp hours of storage. I have 2x 60 watt folding panels that I run cable from to my MPPT solar controller mounted close to the battery as that avoids the usual voltage drop of the solar controllers attached to the panels themselves. Use good heavy cables. MPPT solar controller gives a slightly better performance input from the other type controller - PWM.
In favourable sunny weather I believe I could run off the grid for very long periods and have full batteries at the end of most days. I proved this last Christmas camped off the power grid for 2 weeks. I use lighting, used 12v car radio music in van, exhaust fan somtimes and water pump for showers and other water usage.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #16

Dont get all confused over controllers and all that .. most now are MPPT, if you are buying one above the 400 dollar range.
The thing I like about solar is that the price keeps dropping .. and dropping and dropping. A 80 watt panel does us fine what we do ... however .. you must remember you have to have the reserve for those cloudy days .. for shady sights.
Target yourself on two good batteries .. 6v or 12v deepcycles .... then build up from there when comfortable.

d-mo
Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #17

I'm curious/ignorant about this stuff as well. I was looking at this product.

Go Power! GP-PSK-80 80W Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller : Amazon.com : Automotive

There is a video at the bottom that I watched. Looks simple enough. My question is: Can you hook up straight to the battery leads and run your lights, etc while charging to maintain battery capacity. Or does a guy flip his battery disconnect switch off and attempt to charge the battery completely? Or either? Is there any danger of blowing out components in the trailer? I am assuming that the solar controller limits the output.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrock View Post

Go Power! GP-PSK-80 80W Portable Folding Solar Kit with 10 Amp Solar Controller : Amazon.com : Automotive

There is a video at the bottom that I watched. Looks simple enough. My question is: Can you hook up straight to the battery leads and run your lights, etc while charging to maintain battery capacity. Or does a guy flip his battery disconnect switch off and attempt to charge the battery completely? Or either? Is there any danger of blowing out components in the trailer? I am assuming that the solar controller limits the output.
The controller will provide power to a 12 volt light (by using the 'controllers load connections' but not the battery leads, the battery leads look for feed back from the battery) since the controller puts out 12 volts. But I do not recommend this approach, you can charge the battery and use from it at the same time of course if you are using more than the solar unit puts out you will lose ground on the charging of the battery. The 12 volt powered components in the TT will not blow out because your battery is 12 volts and the controller is putting out 12 volts so your components won't know the difference and most controllers actually monitor the battery and prevent over charging (and excessive battery drain if going through the load connection mentioned above). It is absolutely acceptable to use from your battery while the solar is charging it (water pump, lights, Fridge etc.).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrock View Post

The solar controller will keep the voltage to a safe level so you can use the battery at the same time it is being charged,
Also Spes states that the size is like 20 by 20 I think that is may be folded, I would think it would be like 40 by 20
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #20

Smile

Thanks for the clarification. I think I may give it a go. Most place I camp along the NorCal coast have no shore power.
Problem is we usually don't have much sun either.

Tags
solar