Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ThunderRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 164
Solar Project - Phase 1 - Moving Propane tanks forward

I am planning to install a solar panel this summer in preparation for a Burning Man trip next summer.

For the first phase of this project, I need to relocate the propane tanks forward about 4 inches or so. I need to do this to make room for a pair of new AGM batteries equaling about 200Ah or so of capacity (not sure whether I'll do 2x 12V in parallel or 2x 6v in serial).

From looking at the mounting bracket, it looks like moving the tanks doesn't require anything special, just to drill a couple new holes into the frame. However, I will need to replace the gas line running from the tanks to the frame-mounted gas nozzle with one about 8 inches longer or so. I was curious if anyone here knew whether that gas line was a pretty standard extension line, or something I'd need to get custom made. I haven't looked that close and didn't want to pull it out until I was ready to start the project.
__________________

__________________
2012 Lincoln MKX
2013 Rockwood A122BH A-Frame
ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Interesting that you'd need to move the tanks forward. When I changed to a dual battery system, I moved the tanks rearward to give me a few more inches to turn the crank on the tongue jack. To do the dual battery thing, I had to make a new battery bracket and found that I could nestle it slightly closer to the diamond plate than the original was. But my older model doesn't have either a front storage box or a toy hauler platform so if yours does that may be the difference.
__________________

__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary A.B.
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I am planning to install a solar panel this summer in preparation for a Burning Man trip next summer.

For the first phase of this project, I need to relocate the propane tanks forward about 4 inches or so. I need to do this to make room for a pair of new AGM batteries equaling about 200Ah or so of capacity (not sure whether I'll do 2x 12V in parallel or 2x 6v in serial).

From looking at the mounting bracket, it looks like moving the tanks doesn't require anything special, just to drill a couple new holes into the frame. However, I will need to replace the gas line running from the tanks to the frame-mounted gas nozzle with one about 8 inches longer or so. I was curious if anyone here knew whether that gas line was a pretty standard extension line, or something I'd need to get custom made. I haven't looked that close and didn't want to pull it out until I was ready to start the project.
Good day just finished my upgrade I put my new batteries on the back made a new box to fit in to bumper arms added some reinforcement will take that weight off the hitch
__________________
jlroadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Can we have a photo or two to show how your rear-bumper add on box is made? And where did you find the longer battery cables? They would be something like 2 or 4 gauge, I suppose...
__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ThunderRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 164
I need to move the tanks forward because with the "BH" model, ther's very little space - just enough for one battery mounted across the tongue. If I move the tanks forward 4 inches I should be able to fit 2 side by side perpendicular with the camper.

I have an electric jack, so no need to have the space for the rachet handle.

I too would love to see how youmounted the batteries to the back - would love to put them there if I could - but I always worry about the back bumper.
__________________
2012 Lincoln MKX
2013 Rockwood A122BH A-Frame
ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary A.B.
Posts: 35
solar project A128 2012

here are some pictures of my project. The new Battery box is mad of 1/16 inch metal. welded together. I added some support to back of trailer as the bumper arms would not carry the weight the cables used are # 8 4 wire cab tire about 18 Ft found at recycle yard and #2 jumper cable found at Princess Auto on sale last year like a Big R store . the hitch weight is 285 lbs and I am stocked ready to go just need some water[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2335.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	29215[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2326.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	29210

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2329.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	29211

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2328.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	29212

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2339.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	29213

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2351.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	29214 do hope this works I will post other mods later the 4 wire is for the solar to controller & batteries red & black. White and blue for power to return to front where batteries were
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2355.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	29216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2356.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	29217  
__________________
jlroadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Nooooooo. Don't take a new camper to BM. The alkaline dust will kill everything. Get a 1976 holiday rambler that's already toast.

Just saying.
__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlroadmaster View Post
here are some pictures of my project. The new Battery box is mad of 1/16 inch metal. welded together. I added some support to back of trailer as the bumper arms would not carry the weight the cables used are # 8 4 wire cab tire about 18 Ft found at recycle yard and #2 jumper cable found at Princess Auto on sale last year like a Big R store . the hitch weight is 285 lbs and I am stocked ready to go just need some water
That is impressive looking work. It looks like you could live off grid forever with that setup. How have the new batteries affected your trailer balance?
__________________
Tom

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Very nice workmanlike job, neatly dressed wires, you've done this kind of thing before! I assume that's the solar controller in the underseat area next to the porta potti?
__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary A.B.
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
That is impressive looking work. It looks like you could live off grid forever with that setup. How have the new batteries affected your trailer balance?

the balance was 350 lbs. on the hitch before to 285 after with the new storage box on
__________________

__________________
jlroadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.