Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Solutions to a lack of diamond plate...

I just picked up my 2014 A124TS (moving down from a 2007 Rockwood 2502) and the first thing that I noticed when I was looking at it (prepurchase) was a lack of diamond plate on the front of the storage box. I have the new tan/brown (whatever you want to call it) exterior coloring instead of the white that all the older models have. I liked the diamond plate on the white models, but the more I think about it, the more I think that the diamond plate just wouldn't look quite right on the new tan/brown color, it would be the ONLY shiny thing on the trailer.

The problem is...what to do do protect the front end of the trailer? My first thought is to use the paint on rhino lining that you get at just about any hardware store now. It would protect well from rocks, could be repaired should it get scarred up, and the black on the front of the storage box would just help it blend in with the rest of the trailer given the new color scheme FR has adopted.

Thoughts and comments please. How do you think it would look on the trailer (although protection does trump looks in the end)?
Do any of you have any experience with the paint on rhino lining? I have had the liner in the bed of two of my trucks (including the current TV) and loved it, but it was preinstalled, not something I did myself.
2014 Rockwood A124TS
d0bhran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

Solaire campers have this on their Eclipse line if you want to check them out. Personally, I'd take mine to someone that installs bedliners and have it sprayed. It should be considerably less expensive than spraying the bed of a truck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #3

I didn't know about the Solaire campers...thanks for the info. I will have to check them out and see if it looks as good as it does in my head.

I do need to source some places locally for the liner so I can find out what their prices are. I was thinking about doing it myself for cost reasons, but the more I think about it, the more I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing spray that on. Less hassle and no cleanup for me!
2014 Rockwood A124TS
d0bhran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

I bought the Rock Tamer brand flaps, run on some gravel roads last year and none hit the front near as I can tell.

- mud flaps - Camping World

Mud Flap System - Rock Tamers 00108 - Splash Guards & Mudflaps - Camping World
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

If it not broke

I would use the trailer and see if I get dings and if I did then I think about the rhino lining. The mud flaps seem like a good idea.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #6

I'm not sure the diamond plate actually serves a purpose, I know what it's intended to do, but I think it might be a solution looking for a problem. I don't recall debris actually being a problem.

I think the bed liner idea is okay if you can color match.

The other option would be to see if the alum diamond plate can be purchased reasonably priced and either run it as-is or have it powder coated to match the rest of the color scheme.

Either way it seems like either and investment or lot of work, so me personally I would try and see if it's actually needed or more decorative.

This will somewhat depend on what you're towing with, the road conditions you'll be seeing and other factors.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
Experienced Newbie

I'm glad the front of my apex has the diamond plate. When I blew a tire on my suburban, a large chunk whacked a dent in the aluminum.Could have been my fibreglass front wall instead

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Try going to www.diamondlifegear.com and check them out. They have diamond plate in numerous colors - red, blue, black, etc. I have no interest or affiliation with this company. I just googled colored diamond plate and this is what came up. Hope it helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

Solutions to a lack of diamond plate...

A Rhino lining dealer can color match the lining to your trailer
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #10

I'm with 1A Camper and rawlus on this one. I have had 3 Rockwood units all with the same fiberglass skin and no dimond plate and have had no trouble with them.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

I'd lose the diamond plate if possible. I find it ugly, but then again I don't like the chrome on truck either. The old ABS front Coleman pop up I towed all over there and back over showed any signs of damage from road debris. Sometimes manufactures put stuff on for show and marketing reasons, not because they are strictly necessary. Mhartzel's experience of a tire shredding is always a possibility but that should be covered by insurance.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Mine has the small platform on front, so the diamond plate seems like a good idea to me. If you just want the cosmetic look, go to your local sign supplier and get some diamond plate adhesive backed Mylar film. It looks nice and will likely be easier to clean. It's a good place to check out for other thin sheet material, in case you don't like the mylar. they will also cut to size. Proveer is my go to supplier, if you can't find them look under sign suppliers, or plastics.