Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Soon To Be A T21 QBHW Owner

This afternoon my wife and I decided to start RVing again and plan to order a Flagstaff T21 QBHW for delivery around April 1st. As I mentioned in my Welcome Mat post I started with Coleman pop ups in the mid 90's and we worked our way up to large travel trailers before taking a hiatus from RV's for the last few years.

This will be our first A-Frame so I'll be lurking and reading everything to get an idea of what to watch out for and for any mods we may want to perform.

As far as modifications go has anyone used metal screen, or sheet metal, to enclose the top area of the back bumper? I was at the dealer this afternoon and all that wasted space between the frame rails, under the spare tire and both sides of it, looked like a great potential storage area. With some screening placed in that area it would be a nice place to carry grey water tanks and other light, bulky "stuff".

My wife is already shaking her head over my looking for mods to a new trailer... I need to get her on here looking at how nicely some of the units have been decorated so she can start planning!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

That rear bumper looks pretty lightweight to me. Would be hesitant to put much additional weight on it, plus that might adversely affect the tongue weight when towing.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
That rear bumper looks pretty lightweight to me.
I agree, I looked closely and it is very lightweight and is not going to do a lot of good as a "bumper"...much less for a heavy duty storage rack. I wouldn't suggest putting more than 30-40 pounds weight on the entire assembly. At my size I'm definitely not going to be using it as a step!

But since empty,and I emphasize empty, grey water tanks are pretty light it looks like it might be a good spot to store them. I just really hate the idea of wasting any of the existing storage space for a grey water tank(s)...
Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

That "bumper" is thin sheet metal. I wouldn't stand on the bumper even at the supports. As best I can tell the whole thing is a crumple zone waiting to happen. The only use I'd consider is as a place to store fishing poles as long as the container spanned both supports. YMMV

As an alternatefor grey water, get aquatainers and store one or two in the front trunk. There is a sizable amount of floor space when the camper is closed that can be put to use as well.

Congratulations on the purchase. I look forward to hearing about the camper when she arrives.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote