Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #21

Thanks Misa3. Before applying the tape, Would I need to remove the caulk I've added?

dmtex
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
Thanks Misa3. Before applying the tape, Would I need to remove the caulk I've added?

dmtex
I didn't remove any caulk on mine. I looked at the cauld really close and it was all good except for one tiny spot where I think it was leaking...looked like the caulk had shrunk in a very tiny place.

I used pure rubbing alcohol to clean the entire area around the lip of the window and the camper and then put the 3M tape. I did put some Marine Goop in the hole where I thought it was leaking. It's really a simple job and gives me piece of mind.

I purchased the 3M tape from Amazon...I got the 2" wide 18yd roll. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Acrylic-Ext...e+sealing+tape

Here's the link to the pictures of mine after I finished:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-69007-2.html

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #23

We have a 2014 A-122 and the only time water has ever gotten in was when it was parked folded up with the nose down and water seeped over the foam seal and trickled inside a bit (not too much though.) It's possible that it simply rained on the top of the seal and that ran inside, can't say for certain. Regardless, the simple solution was to keep the nose up when parked. It's never leaked when in use, or when parked as long as I keep a slight rearward tilt in the driveway, and we've been in some wicked rain storms while camping (blew the screen room off it's tent pegs once! still no water inside.)

- R
Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #24

your probably looking at replacing that roof seal every 4 years ... thats what im looking at this year ..

d-mo
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
your probably looking at replacing that roof seal every 4 years ... thats what im looking at this year ..

d-mo
Are you going to do the work or have someone else do it?
I think you're pretty close on the life span of the roof seal. I guess how the camper is stored (Inside vs Outside) and the type of climate will determine the lifespan.
If you do the replacement, I`m sure everyone would appreciate a brief write up on the procedure. The hardest part will be removing the old seal without damaging the roof panel.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
...If you do the replacement, I`m sure everyone would appreciate a brief write up on the procedure...
Agreed.

- R
Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #27

yea .. agreed .. the trailer is stored indoors during the fall winter months but comes out around the end of April for its first trip.
Having the back window repaired a number to times, and then replaced, im not sure if i would even like to tackle this job .. im thinking my dealer will have the right chemicals to remove and not damage the roof .. and also the right sealants/glues to install the seal.
It doesnt look like a tough job ... but finding out the right stuff to do this with ... could be.
I will first check and see if it covered under my lifetime warrenty ... as it is part of the roof .... you never know.

d-mo
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #28

I bought a a19hw and when I purchased it it had a large bumble window with a scratch. The dealer agreed to replace it before I picked it up. All they used was self leveling caulk and it slid. It leaked. I brought it back they did the same thing and it leaked again. Finally they epoxied the window in place prior to self leveling caulk. I waited a week than raised it up. It didn't slide but the caulk appears to have shrunken in spots. In hoping for the best because 225 mile repairs are over for me. That's one way!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I bought a a19hw and when I purchased it it had a large bumble window with a scratch. The dealer agreed to replace it before I picked it up. All they used was self leveling caulk and it slid. It leaked. I brought it back they did the same thing and it leaked again. Finally they epoxied the window in place prior to self leveling caulk. I waited a week than raised it up. It didn't slide but the caulk appears to have shrunken in spots. In hoping for the best because 225 mile repairs are over for me. That's one way!
How about trying 3M Extreme sealing tape? Go with the 3" wide.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:37 AM   #30

That's what I'll do next if it's still leaking. Thanks
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #31

Today I applied the 3M extreme tape to all 3 skylights and the vent fan. I sure hope this will fix the leaks with the large skylight and one of the smaller skylight. I'm camping next week and rain is in the forecast. Will find out next week.

dmtex
Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #32

During a recent hard rain spell, the rear skylight did not leak, however one of the two small skylights still leaks. I know there is a very small crack in the lower right corner of this skylight and obviously is the source of the leak. I had hope the extreme tape over the crack would have stopped the leak. Will have to take the camper to the dealer and have the skylight replaced.

dmtex
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #33

Went to my dealer and arranged for the replacement of the leaking skylight. I first had to order the new skylight. It was $151.00. Once it arrives to the dealer (2-3 weeks) I'll take my A127TH to the dealer. The service manager indicated the labor for the repair should take 1-2 hours at $125.00 an hour.

dmtex
Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #34

Our dealer replaced all three of our bubble windows as they all had cracks in the corners. They said it was a manufacturing defect and that they had replaced several skylights on traditional style campers as they had been manufactured by the same company. We were not charged for the window replacements. The rear bubble window was put in so poorly that the right side is an inch higher than the left. We now have 3M tape around all windows and it appears that we don't have any leaks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nancy B
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #35

Yep, these windows do have a leaking problem. You would think, by now, the manufacturer would have it under control. So many complaints here. When I picked up my new trailer in April, the floor and bed was wet from the rains. Actually, puddles on the floor. When I made the purchase, last October, the under bed storage was very wet. Dealer suggested the baggage door wasn't locked during transit. He would dry the unit before winter storage. Well, on pick-up day I had to wait 3-4 hours for the dealer to re caulk everything on the roof. Yesterday, while installing additional stop/turn lights and drilling through the metal frame and into the roof sandwich, between the outer and inner skins, water was leaking out the drilled hole. What does this tell me, more problems to come?

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #36

My A127TH is in the shop having the leaking skylight replaced. I hope this will be the fix, but remain apprehensive.

dmtex

Tags
frame, leak, a-frame