Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Sounds like a lot of these A frames leak

I'm picking my A128 up tomorrow but it sure sounds like a lot of people have problems with them leaking. Is it just a few that we keep hearing about or is it a real problem???
Seem to me if a person keeps an eye on the caulk it should be ok.... But what do I know.

Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Mine is a 2015, and I haven't had any issues. I've been in some pretty strong pouring rainstorms. Hopefully the issue is isolated.

2015 A122S "The next campsite tour of this type of intriguing camper will begin in approximately 15 minutes. We ask that you refrain from any flash photography as it tends to wake the native inhabitants..."

Camped 6 times in 2014, 5 times so for in 2015
underwhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Three new bubble windows as all three had failed corners on our 2014 A122S. Just for good measure we added 3M Extreme tape. We were in the heavy rainstorm at North Rim of Grand Canyon and the seal around the miracle fan allowed water to leak in. Now that area is sealed and taped. We love our A-frame and don't anticipate any more problems. We have now spent 50 nights in ours.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nancy B
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Keep in mind that many people will only post about problems they have, or user questions they need answers for. The majority of happy campers post to share what they've done or where they've been.

I bought my Flagstaff TH new in 2012 and been caught in many many heavy downpouring trips with no leak problems. We stayed warm and dry.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
It does seem that way. But reading a forum is like watching the local evening news, you can get a rather one sided view that shows all the bad things. Just think about the thousands of people that camp in FR Aframes each weekend and don't have that problem.

Also, Aframes, like all RVs require maintenance. Each manufacturer designs a balance of weight, function, purchase price and maintenance costs. So we as owners have to pick our poison/pleasure when buying.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
We had high winds and 103 mm of rain in one night, dry as a bone. I have a tool box/ step stool that's in the camper. Get one of those and a tube of Goop Marine, it's my go to sealant. I find with a youtube search and forums like this, most minor repairs are a DIY success!
99 4runner
T12BH Aframe
68Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
I can only speak from my experiences with our Aframe, which started to leak on the bubble window above the bed. There seemed to have been a problem with the rivets in the windows that didnt do their jobs, and basically expanded a bit, and loosed up, causing the window caulking to loosen way from the window and the roof sections. The newer models do not have these rivets, so what i think that the problem has been solved. In my case the original rivets were replaced with two larger expanding rivets on each corner of the window ... re-caulked with sealant, and then the 3m tape was applied. I have no more lifting at the corners .. where the leaks always happened and no more issues.

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
World Traveler Member
my 2014 Aframe, which started to leak on the bubble window above the bed on my first rain after getting it. I have a A194Hw and I got woke up at night when a down pour started and I got wet in bed. So they have NOT fixed the problems on the newer units and I will contact my dealer ASAP for a fix since it is now entering the winter season.
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
While looking at Aliners the local dealer told me they will all eventually leak around the Fantastic Fan. He said this is due to the flexing of the roof, versus the hard plastic fan casing, which causes the OEM caulking to give way. During the PDI he offers new owners the option to have the fan pulled out and resealed with a 3M Tape product to prevent leaks.

From what I've seen the FR roofs do not appear to flex as much as the Aliners but I'm going to be watching that area very carefully...
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
World Traveler Member
Bubble window leaked first time out with my new 2014

I got my A194HW trailer and on my first time out it rained and I got real wet in the bed against the back.
I called my local dealer in Turlock, CA and the service department told me that was a 6 months maintance item and I pointed out that I only had it for a couple of months and it shouldn't be leaking yet! I checked the build date and it was almost a year old and NOBODY did their 6 month check before I got it. So in the end I ended up removing the old chalking which was Not easy and re-chalking and then I checked the other windows and fan and I had to do the fan also since there was a gap between the fan frame and the chalking. I would have pushed them to do but the dealer was almost a four hour drive each way and the cost of gas was not worth it.

abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

frame, leak, a-frame