Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Sounds like a lot of these A frames leak

I'm picking my A128 up tomorrow but it sure sounds like a lot of people have problems with them leaking. Is it just a few that we keep hearing about or is it a real problem???
Seem to me if a person keeps an eye on the caulk it should be ok.... But what do I know.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Mine is a 2015, and I haven't had any issues. I've been in some pretty strong pouring rainstorms. Hopefully the issue is isolated.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Three new bubble windows as all three had failed corners on our 2014 A122S. Just for good measure we added 3M Extreme tape. We were in the heavy rainstorm at North Rim of Grand Canyon and the seal around the miracle fan allowed water to leak in. Now that area is sealed and taped. We love our A-frame and don't anticipate any more problems. We have now spent 50 nights in ours.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nancy B
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #4

Keep in mind that many people will only post about problems they have, or user questions they need answers for. The majority of happy campers post to share what they've done or where they've been.

I bought my Flagstaff TH new in 2012 and been caught in many many heavy downpouring trips with no leak problems. We stayed warm and dry.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #5

It does seem that way. But reading a forum is like watching the local evening news, you can get a rather one sided view that shows all the bad things. Just think about the thousands of people that camp in FR Aframes each weekend and don't have that problem.

Also, Aframes, like all RVs require maintenance. Each manufacturer designs a balance of weight, function, purchase price and maintenance costs. So we as owners have to pick our poison/pleasure when buying.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

We had high winds and 103 mm of rain in one night, dry as a bone. I have a tool box/ step stool that's in the camper. Get one of those and a tube of Goop Marine, it's my go to sealant. I find with a youtube search and forums like this, most minor repairs are a DIY success!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

I can only speak from my experiences with our Aframe, which started to leak on the bubble window above the bed. There seemed to have been a problem with the rivets in the windows that didnt do their jobs, and basically expanded a bit, and loosed up, causing the window caulking to loosen way from the window and the roof sections. The newer models do not have these rivets, so what i think that the problem has been solved. In my case the original rivets were replaced with two larger expanding rivets on each corner of the window ... re-caulked with sealant, and then the 3m tape was applied. I have no more lifting at the corners .. where the leaks always happened and no more issues.

d-mo
Old 11-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
World Traveler Member

my 2014 Aframe, which started to leak on the bubble window above the bed on my first rain after getting it. I have a A194Hw and I got woke up at night when a down pour started and I got wet in bed. So they have NOT fixed the problems on the newer units and I will contact my dealer ASAP for a fix since it is now entering the winter season.
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Site Team

While looking at Aliners the local dealer told me they will all eventually leak around the Fantastic Fan. He said this is due to the flexing of the roof, versus the hard plastic fan casing, which causes the OEM caulking to give way. During the PDI he offers new owners the option to have the fan pulled out and resealed with a 3M Tape product to prevent leaks.

From what I've seen the FR roofs do not appear to flex as much as the Aliners but I'm going to be watching that area very carefully...
Old 11-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
World Traveler Member

Bubble window leaked first time out with my new 2014

I got my A194HW trailer and on my first time out it rained and I got real wet in the bed against the back.
I called my local dealer in Turlock, CA and the service department told me that was a 6 months maintance item and I pointed out that I only had it for a couple of months and it shouldn't be leaking yet! I checked the build date and it was almost a year old and NOBODY did their 6 month check before I got it. So in the end I ended up removing the old chalking which was Not easy and re-chalking and then I checked the other windows and fan and I had to do the fan also since there was a gap between the fan frame and the chalking. I would have pushed them to do but the dealer was almost a four hour drive each way and the cost of gas was not worth it.
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #11

My 2015 A128S has been through several hard rain storms and no leaks. I plan to check the caulking around the skylights every year and will reseal with 3M magic tape if necessary. I also plan to use 303 Aerospace UV protectant regularly on the decals and seals.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

Another Leaker

Add me to the list of people with leaks I have a A122BH purchased in February of 2013. The bubble windows are not fastened with rivets. I was planning on heading up on a trip to the California North Coast for some whitewater kayaking. The trailer is stored outdoors in an RV storage lot. We last used it in August, and prior to storage checked the caulking around the windows which looked fine. I opened the trailer yesterday and found water on the rear side of the two interior panels, a soaked and mildewed mattress, and a ruined countertop above the microwave. I believed the leak is coming from around the rear window. I see the trailer has a five year roof warranty. I wonder if Forest River will cover any of this based on the roof warranty?
Bobicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

Bobicon, if storing outside and uncovered it is advised to store with the rear end slightly lower than the front to allow water to drain from where the roof panels fold on top of each other. Otherwise water could pool on roof could seep into trailer. This advice was given to me by FR warranty dept when a discussion of how to store an A-Frame came up. Doesn't help you now, but might help others to know this.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Hi Handbuilder,

Thank you for the advice and that is indeed how we store the trailer. Definitely not the forward seal or water would have also affected the front of the trailer. No water past that seal. On further inspection of the bubble windows, we now see that the front left bubble window also has a crack in it, though it does not appear to be leaking. I have a feeling when storing these trailers outside the weakness of the design and poor implementation of sealing of the windows is exposed. Up until our trip in August we had a cover on the trailer which was eaten by the Sacramento sun. We obviously did not replace the cover soon enough.
Bobicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #15

Well in all honesty ... with my experience, storing it nose down/nose up does not make a difference, but i do understand the worry about the roof seal, .. but that has not happened to me .. its a basic issue with the windows, being of a different tint .. they expand and contract at different rates vs. the white filon/fiberglass roofing causing the caulking seal/rivets to fail.

had the unit since march 2011 ...

d-mo
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #16

I keep mine in a garage. If I didn't I would put the 3m tape on for sure.
I think if they sit out all the time they will expand and contract like d-mo said.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #17

Count me in with the 'leakers'. Had some minor leaks on the trips where we had rain/snow that we dealt with after buying it (2014) this past March. Then, on a trip in Northern AZ in late July we got caught in a monster rainstorm and the window over the bed leaked horribly. The window, along the bottom edge, had completely separated and I was able to stick my fingers through.
Upon return I took it into the dealer and asked that that 3M product be used. Dealer told me it was up to Forest River and what they would authorize but that "we know what it takes to deal with the Arizona sun and will get it done right for you". They had the trailer for about 6 weeks and when I picked it up they assured me all was good.

One week later I left for my annual fall Tetons/Yellowstone trip. About 75 miles out of Phoenix I happened to look in my rear view mirror and couldn't believe what I was seeing: the large bubble window was flying up in the air with just a strand of caulk holding it from flying off and into the line of cars behind me. I pulled off to the side and found the window completely separated from the unit but, fortunately, had landed back on the trailer with about 1/4 of the window hanging over the edge. Fortunately, there appeared to be no damage to the window so I picked it up (extremely hot after driving in the Arizona sun in September) and put it in the back of the Grand Cherokee. GPS showed me that I was 60 miles south of Kingman and there were several RV repair shops. So, windowless, I drove to the nearest repair shop. The shop I made it too told me they could repair it but it would take a day and they were going to screw it in. Given that I had commitments and needed to get to my destination I told them to fix it. I next went to call the dealer only to remember it was Monday and they are closed on Monday. So, I got a hotel, grabbed a 6pk a beer and settled into my hotel room and fired off an email to them.
The dealer did reply to my email the following day and agreed that they'd reimburse me for the repairs as well as my hotel room.
When I picked up the unit the repair looked sound. And it was.
I went through several days of snow and some torrential rains in the Tetons and Yellowstone with not so much as a drop inside. As a side benefit, I noticed it stayed warmer as well (though I did some DIY insulation that I'm sure helped as well).
Upon return I did take my receipts into the dealer and they did reimburse me.
I showed them the pictures I had taken of the window when it flew off and they were extremely embarrased. However, not wanting to deal with it anymore I did not bring the unit in. I have been out a few times since then and the repair is still sound.

Now it sits under a cover when not in use.
I realize this is at the extreme end of what can happen, but I'd do anything I could to avoid having to go through this....
rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #18

I'm at my wits end about the leaking skylights. I have a 2013 A128TH. Shortly after the purchase one of the two small skylights began leaking. The dealer repaired it under warranty. The dealer added more caulking. The repair was effective for several months. Then it began leaking again (no longer under warranty). I added more caulking and it stopped leaking. Later, The large skylight began to leak. I added more caulk to both the exterior and interior (after removing the trim) of the leaking skylight. That seemed to fix it. Currently, I'm on an extended trip to Florida from Texas. I traveled through heavy rain between Texas and Mississippi. When I opened it up for the night both the rear window and the smaller skylight had leaked. The rear skylight had leaked heavily soaking the rear area. As it was still raining I removed the trim to find the location of the leak. I found the leakage was coming up from the bottom area of the skylight frame, not the skylight, but between from the camper's interior wall and exterior wall that is filled with styrofoam insulation. I checked the leaking smaller skylight. The leakage was entering in the same manner as the large skylight. I hope that my description of the leakage makes sense. I know that others on this forum have had success with the 3M extreme tape. But would appreciate any suggestions. BTW both skylights are not damaged in any manner. Oddly the second of the smaller skylight has not leaked at all. Again, would appreciate any repair suggestions.

dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #19

Leaks

Be sure to reseal around the fan. I think we also had water migrating from the fan to one of the bubble windows.
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
I'm at my wits end about the leaking skylights. I have a 2013 A128TH. Shortly after the purchase one of the two small skylights began leaking. The dealer repaired it under warranty. The dealer added more caulking. The repair was effective for several months. Then it began leaking again (no longer under warranty). I added more caulking and it stopped leaking. Later, The large skylight began to leak. I added more caulk to both the exterior and interior (after removing the trim) of the leaking skylight. That seemed to fix it. Currently, I'm on an extended trip to Florida from Texas. I traveled through heavy rain between Texas and Mississippi. When I opened it up for the night both the rear window and the smaller skylight had leaked. The rear skylight had leaked heavily soaking the rear area. As it was still raining I removed the trim to find the location of the leak. I found the leakage was coming up from the bottom area of the skylight frame, not the skylight, but between from the camper's interior wall and exterior wall that is filled with styrofoam insulation. I checked the leaking smaller skylight. The leakage was entering in the same manner as the large skylight. I hope that my description of the leakage makes sense. I know that others on this forum have had success with the 3M extreme tape. But would appreciate any suggestions. BTW both skylights are not damaged in any manner. Oddly the second of the smaller skylight has not leaked at all. Again, would appreciate any repair suggestions.

$70.00 for an 18 yd roll of 3M tape and two hours of work and it should solve your problem. That 18 yd roll should be enough to do all of your bubble windows, the vent and a strip across the back and front at the seam. I have pictures here on the website of where I did mine. Problem solved.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, leak, a-frame