Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #21

We are familiar with the roads. We have been making regular trips to Waco from Colorado Springs for the past 5 years. We have camped at Palo Duro, Arrowhead, Waco Lake, Trinidad Lake and other locations along the route.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
287 turns into I27 in Amarillo, same road, different name, figured they would have to look at a map for the whole trip as roads have different highway numbers all the way down. Just trying to get them on the right path to avoid Raton Pass. They weren't exactly clear where on the Llano River they wanted to go.
No, 287 doesn't turn into I27. I27 starts at I40 heading south to Lubbock and 287 dead ends into I40 then continues east bound as I40/287. After a short time 287 cuts off I40 south to Wichita Falls.

Springs/Pueblo/La Junta/Lamar pick up 287 south to Amarillo will by pass Raton.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OK... 287 actually continues to Wichita Falls and on to Ft. Worth. We run it from Decatur when we go to Colorado.
Just helping him get out of Colorado without going over the passes like he asked. The rest of the trip is up to him.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Just helping him get out of Colorado without going over the passes like he asked. The rest of the trip is up to him.
No problem... but there’s no guessing how many other members will read this without comment or question.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #25

Texas hill country

The community of San Angelo is a nice place to visit. Has a military base, all big stores some really great but not costly resturants. Also has history of the past. Junction small town, river is nice. you are in slight hills with trees. go over to 83s via I10 east, head south on great roads. You will drive right to Garner Park. Here you have Utopia small town. Leakey Texas also small town that is changing into tourist based. I am jaded, i have no usage for tourist business. this time of year, leaves are down, the cypress trees are brown, but the water is like glass. these are small water when not flooded. Deadly when flooded! The Sabinal river in Utopia can take you back in time by its still natural beauty. Birding is popular, deer every where. they are a road hazard. wild hogs, look but stay away from. You can easly go to Kerrville or Fredicksburg is good for tourist german history. this time of year, hiking, birding, rocks, are what abound. people load is light. getting in water (you nuts) it is cold and can often be warmer then air. when we are overcast its usually is a wet cold which is not fun. Think Kodiak fog.
i live at Uvalde which is south of Garner. The Texas coast is an easy drive from Garner.
texhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #26
Part timer

We spent Jan and Feb in Mesa and Tucson and the weather was great except for one weekend when it snowed in Tucson on Friday and gone by Sunday. Daytime temps in the 70’s mostly and nighttime temps mostly in the 50’s. Virtually the same distance as you are talking for south Texas...
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ tow/trail ride
Southeastern Tennessee
BBC Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #27

Hello, we live in Elizabeth Colorado just north of you.

we found a brand new RV Resort in Camp Verde AZ just south of Sedona. Has like 492 sites. We went there for a week in mid october and the weather was perfect. Cool at night and Warm during the day.

The RV park is large and open just this past August so they are still finishing some things up but we took at spot on the park map on the end of the row right next to the club house with resort like facilities, hot tubs, pool, pool table, ping pong etc... site was 141 which was a deluxe long RV site. They have others and very nice dog runs around the park

it is geared for large RV's but we saw many types. Didn't see any A Frames or pop ups and I asked if they allowed and the gal didn't know what a pop up was....

look online for Verde Ranch RV Resort. 928 567 7126 Was in a article in Motorhome magazine in September I think

From our place with 38' rv and jeep toad it took day and a half to get there. Sedona was close for day trips and off roading.
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #28

Garner SP is nice, if you bike, there's a good amount of road to ride and not a bad ride to the nearest store/gas station. Leakey (pronounced Lake-y) has some places to eat and shop but is starting to get touristy as mentioned. Head towards Concan and there's places to eat and dance. Concan is VERY small also.

The hiking in Garner is fairly strenuous and pretty rough depending on what shape you're in. My 9 & 11 y/o sons had no problems. I'm pretty fit and 51 and didn't have any trouble but my wife had a tough time. Some of the 'rough spots' on several trails are nearly vertical up or down and there are many 'bouldery' spots.

The river is pretty but COLD. It's not named the Frio for nothing. A hike up Baldy isn't terrible and has the best views of the river and valley.

It'll still be cold there. If you're really looking for warm weather you need to put in the hours and drive to the Valley as previously mentioned, Brownsville or McAllen would be your warmest.

We've only tent camped at Garner with our boys on Scout campouts. The spots we were at had water and electricity but no sewer hook-up. There's at least one dump station IIRC

Good luck!
txarsoncop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #29

South Llano SP is a great little park. Beautiful, peaceful friendly folk and nearby Junction is a quaint little town with most anything you'd need available. Lum's has great BBQ, little cafe across from grocery story (in an old gas station) has some of the best barbacoa I've had along with other great taco options. But the weather can be very cold at times. Texas over all has finicky weather, even as far south as Corpus (just stay on top of the latest 10 day outlook). You asked about Garner: if yo get a spot in Old Garner, you are closer to the river and thye have full hook ups at some. Try the Oakmont area. You aren't right on the river but very clos to the swimming/picnic area. Not sure of the crowds this time of year.Should be minimal as compared to Spring break (full to overflowing and noisy). You might check into parkview Riverside just across the Frio from Garner. Private rv park and some sites back up to the cliff overlooking the river. FHUs available there. Just next door is Nana's RV park. A smaller newer rv park that has access to the Frio but not sure about the views. This side of the Frio is all privately owned. Lost Maples State Park is a wonderful campground. Lots of hiking (some elevation gain but easy for the most part; West Trail through Mystic Canyon is simply my fav and we've hiked them all), the Sabinal originates inside the park boundaries. You can fish in Can Creek and The Ponds. The camping area is not riverfront but from sites 13-17 it's only a short distance to the water. It's ok to splash around in but not really a tubing river in the park. It's too shallow for the most part. The camping area is small only 30 something camp sites: our fav is 16. Get some pie at the Lost Maples Cafe in nearby Utopia!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #30

Thank you everybody for your inputs. Propane tanks are full, batteries are charged, and I am eager to go.

As it stands right now, we have reservations for S Llano River SP. When I read the reviews for Garner, I got a little skittish about the crowds, especially over the New Year.

Stopping overnight at Palo Duro SP in both directions.

The weather forecasts and our medical conditions will determine whether we actually go or not.

The thumb/key camlocks for the outside access doors were ordered, which will make DW very happy to not have to carry a key while we are at the campsite. Also ordered 60# gas struts to replace the crummy factory 40# installs on the roof lift system - which will make me very happy to eliminate the electric lift motor, assuming they work like they have for other A-frame owners.

Looking forward to checking out places in Arizona and NM another trip.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 12-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #31

South Texas for the Holidays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawniemae View Post
You might check into parkview Riverside just across the Frio from Garner. Private rv park and some sites back up to the cliff overlooking the river. FHUs available there. Just next door is Nana's RV park. A smaller newer rv park that has access to the Frio but not sure about the views. This side of the Frio is all privately owned. Get some pie at the Lost Maples Cafe in nearby Utopia!

We stayed at Parkview Riverside in Sept-Oct, and it is lovely!
FYI: Nana’s RV Park is closed Sept 1 to Memorial Day.

The current river temp -water temp in the Frio is 52 degrees! South Llano River will be a similar, if perhaps slightly warmer temperature.

Enjoy S. Llano River SP. Please report back on your experience!
Safe travels, Happy Camping, & Merry Christmas!

-Flo (aka Mrs. S Claus)
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #32
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
We stayed at Parkview Riverside in Sept-Oct, and it is lovely!
FYI: Nana’s RV Park is closed Sept 1 to Memorial Day.

The current river temp -water temp in the Frio is 52 degrees! South Llano River will be a similar, if perhaps slightly warmer temperature.

Enjoy S. Llano River SP. Please report back on your experience!
Safe travels, Happy Camping, & Merry Christmas!

-Flo (aka Mrs. S Claus)
Parkview Riverside was the first park we camped at when we bought our first TT. We did a couple of "test runs", but this was our first real outing. It was awesome. Our site was backed up to the river, but you really couldn't see anything. It was a short walk though to the river, and it was beautiful.

Anyway, good to hear you got a place nailed down Fred. While I don't think you will enjoy a dip in the water, it should still be peaceful and relaxing. Hope you enjoy your trip!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

Stopping overnight at Palo Duro SP in both directions.

Fred W
Palo Duro SP is a beautiful place to camp.

Hope you get to make the trip.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #34

Thank you for all the help and advice. Had to cancel the trip - snow forecast for Southern Colorado and Northern Texas (including Palo Duro) Friday and Saturday (our travel days). Earliest possible departure became Sunday, which meant driving 4 days for 3 full days camping in South Texas, with low temps forecast in 30s the entire trip.

Disappointed to say the least. But if Moma ain't happy....

Fred W
Old 12-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #35

That is a wise decision.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #36
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
But if Moma ain't happy....

Fred W
Too bad you had to cancel, but yeah...this!!!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote