Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
The bottom of the mount seems to have been secured with screws rather than bolts. The tire bounce not only pulled the screws out but caused the bracket to widen between the top and bottom quite a bit.

The screws must not have had much in the way of wood backing (I checked this by inserting a small screwdriver into each of the holes.).

My thoughts, at this time, is to drill through into the inside of the cabin (in my 128s, this is where the Cool Cat intake area is in my unit). Next, I plan to mount a small wood board in this area against the wall and have long screws coming from and through this board inside to the outside of the unit.

The wood board should provide enough support and bracing for the bolts. Problem is finding screws long enough to do this (and placing the board on the inside as this is a hard to get to location).

Before, I do this, I will look for at potential fasteners at my local Home Depot and Lowes.
Water must be going into the unit if the (fastener) holes are larger than Fac. How did they seal these (fasteners) at the Fac.? Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Water must be going into the unit if the (fastener) holes are larger than Fac. How did they seal these (fasteners) at the Fac.? Youroo!!
They use a clear silicone caulk material around the holes and fasteners.

David and Jo Ann G. (& Kenzie the Sheltie)
Prattville, Alabama
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 160+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2015 = 165
Nights Camped 2016 = 21 (as of Oct 16, 2016)
DGrissom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
OK, 2 years nearly with Rocko, this weekend going to one of our favorite local campgrounds, my wife trailing me in her Civic. She notices a lot of bouncing on the spare tire and mount.

I check it, the 2 bottom bolts are totally gone!

I remember an old thread that described something similar, couldn't find it?

I jury rigged a repair.

Question, how is the bracket secured on the bottom? The top bolts are carrige type.
Bottom, no evidence found of similar bolts.

Suggestion for any outside-in fixes?

The dealer told me there is a board behind the fiberglass wall. He told me he repaired this problem by inserting wall anchors, the kind you use in repairing drywall.

2014 Rockwood A194HW
2008 Chevy Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab
catworker is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, mount