Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Stabilize AFrame walls while traveling??

Our new 2018 T12RBST, when dropped down concerns me. The left AFrame wall when it comes down has one rubber at the very tip top that rests on the microwave cabinet. The rest of this wall, laying horizontal, has no other support, and to make matters more disconcerning, the right AFrame wall comes down with three rubber knobs to sit right on the middle window frame of the left wall. This seems to cause the left wall to flex and bounce with all that weight and pressure on it.
I want to add support under the left AFrame to alleviate the stress and flex that I know has got to be happening as you go down the road. However, I don't want to second guess the engineers that designed this .........Your input please????
nautipelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

My first A-frame (A122) held up for 4 years of camping, and the second (T21TBHW) for a year of trailering and camping. We did have to put dish towels on the door frame to prevent black marks from the door frame rubber from appearing on the rear roof section.

I have my trailer tires balanced, I keep tire pressure at sidewall maximum, and use a WDH to prevent porpoising of the trailer tongue. And using the dish towels helps prevent any other damage. I do worry a lot more about the dormer sides on the T21TBHW which basically hang loose on their hinges.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautipelican View Post
Our new 2018 T12RBST, when dropped down concerns me. The left AFrame wall when it comes down has one rubber at the very tip top that rests on the microwave cabinet. The rest of this wall, laying horizontal, has no other support, and to make matters more disconcerning, the right AFrame wall comes down with three rubber knobs to sit right on the middle window frame of the left wall. This seems to cause the left wall to flex and bounce with all that weight and pressure on it.
I want to add support under the left AFrame to alleviate the stress and flex that I know has got to be happening as you go down the road. However, I don't want to second guess the engineers that designed this .........Your input please????
I share your concern as well. I have a 214HW, same problem. I don't like door panel lying on window frame of the other. One good bounce and I'm afraid the window will break. I saw an Aliner that had a Zebra RV leg (see amazon) adjustable leg screwed to the alum frame of the window side panel that dropped down and provided stable support (sat on floor) in addition to the rubber pad on the microwave panel. The leg then folded flush to the panel frame when up. Haven't installed one yet, but seriously considering it. Regarding engineering, they only do what gets it through the warranty period.
Dan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #4

The last trip we made I put our pillows up on the sink/burnertop counter before letting down the wall. I dont think it was enough support, but I'm afraid something rigid (like a leg, or a pole) may be just as bad as nothing. I noticed that the seat cushions (2) are the same height as the gap between the sink top and the hinge/wall when down. I think, next time out, I will try sticking two of them there for some added support.
nautipelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

As a new FR Rockwood 214HW owner, I too am concerned about this possibility. I hope that others will join in and share their thoughts or experiences.
Montana Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautipelican View Post
The last trip we made I put our pillows up on the sink/burnertop counter before letting down the wall. I dont think it was enough support, but I'm afraid something rigid (like a leg, or a pole) may be just as bad as nothing. I noticed that the seat cushions (2) are the same height as the gap between the sink top and the hinge/wall when down. I think, next time out, I will try sticking two of them there for some added support.
Good thought, however that might put a tweak on the hinge of the panel since only one side would be supported. Really need something to support both sides on the panel equally. Maybe place a small cooler on the other side with cushion on top of it as well? Might balance it out. Just a thought...
Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

We have an approximately 10? year old A102 that looks to have essentially the same roof design as yours. One rubber bumper rests on the microwave cabinet and then three from the other wall rest on the window frame when down. Many times I have wondered if and or when it will fail, but it has made it about ten years here in Montana driven down many bumpy dirt roads and survived with minimal wear. (knock on wood). With this info I dont know if you really need any extra support. Might not hurt, but might not help either.
jerditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

More support

From new I saw that as a weak design issue. I use a large swim noodle on the counter to support the entire middle of the panel. Works very well
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormTn View Post
From new I saw that as a weak design issue. I use a large swim noodle on the counter to support the entire middle of the panel. Works very well
Trying to picture what you're doing. On my 214HW, the center line of the windowed panel lands right where the dinette table would be if set up. On my unit, I don't think it would work. Any possibility of a pix?
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

We had a 2002 Chalet Arrowhead. It was an A Frame with the same issues you are having. We had ours 14 years and never had issues with the walls. When you get done and both walls are down they not only rest on the one side they also are supported by the other cabinets on the side closest to that wall. The roof keeps everything in check when you complete the task. I've crawled inside after putting everything down and nothing moves. I forgot to get something out of it so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm looking at getting one later.
RZ406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #11

When I first bought mine I had a passing concern about the window issue, but even with the limited credit I give the FR engineers, I have to imagine the bumper placement on the window was at top of mind. After many rough roads over four seasons (granted not ten seasons as some above!) the window is perfectly fine. There is a scuff mark on the countertop (nightstand for me) where the bottom panel bumper rests, though.

HOWEVER, there are multiple other points where there has been metal-on-metal binding (ceiling, black edging of panels, window frame on door, etc.). In a couple places I attached adhesive felt pads, but in other areas I barely notice the cosmetic damage anymore. I guess it comes with ownership. In addition, there are black lines on the fabric door surround and door curtain fastener loop due to contact with the rubber weather trim of the other panel when folded down.

All that said, I have been thinking I should take a closer look at each pressure point and see whether there's anything I can do to prevent further damage. Maybe this thread will inspire me to now... maybe.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #12

The left wall on a road trip to Alaska 13,000 mile trip. Flexed and bounced with all that weight and pressure on it.
It cracked the aluminum frame on the top of the aframe wall.
When lifting the left side wall it would bend almost breaking the fiberglass.
I went to the hard ware store and bought a aluminum peace 1 inch x 7 foot.
I used the bonding epoxy to glue the aluminum to the wall frame top.
See pictures.
an easy fix would be to put a pillow or box below the aframe wall on top of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	210090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5318.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	210091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg
Views:	93