Old 10-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Post Steps I took to winterize Aframe - did i miss anything?

Hello,
I have never winterized a camper before and I want to get some feedback to ensure I have done everything properly. I am located in New York State where it gets cold in the winter by Rochester.

Steps I took so far:
- emptied all food items
- cleaned camper inside and out
- propped open fridge and all storage doors
- disconnected battery and brought it into the basement, where I plan to trickle charge it each month???Not sure what the best option for this is.
- Drained water tank from below with drain
- drained hot water tank with low point drains found under the dinner seat (had to pull up on them)
- opened water facets to let all water drain out and ran water pump for a few minutes....no water was coming out under the camper or the faucet anymore.
- closed all drains under the camper, and from hot water tank.
- closed the Hot and Cold hot water tank feeds and opened bypass valve.
- disconnected water feed from storage tank to water pump under cabinet.
- connected RV Antifreeze feed line from jug to water pump
- turned pump on to pressurize the system, until the water pump stopped pumping.
- checked for leaks at all drain valves i opened earlier, All good!
- Opened sink cold water till it ran pink,
- opened sink hot water till it ran pink.
- outside shower ran hot & cold each until each ran pink
- turned water pump off.
- disconnected antifreeze jug feed line and put all water lines back the way they were.
- opened cold water sink faucet until water stopped flowing to relieve all pressure in system.

Am I missing anything? I am using RV grade antifreeze that is rated for -50 Degrees. I also ensured all propane tanks were closed also.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
H2oski

Looks good to me, but then I live in southern Alabama.

(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
WFD

With regards to your battery...don't trickle charge it monthly is what most recommend. Better idea is to use a Battery Tender that is constantly monitoring the battery. You can google the difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender...they will explain it much better than I can. All you need is the Battery Tender Jr and it can be had for about $30...well worth it. First camper I trickle charged monthly as you said and battery only lasted 2 yrs. I checked water levels in it through the winter and it never got low.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

What I could think of is to air up the tires and periodically check for rodents and other pests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Looks good to me, but then I live in southern Alabama.
We Gulf Coasters are not very good at this stuff. I "winterize" with a blow plug and compressed air, if at all. Tire pressure isn't a problem because I air up before each trip summer or winter.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Steps I took to winterize the a-frame

apudlak, looks like you did most everything right but I assume you have one of those blankety-blank water filter cartridges? Did you take it out?

Personally, I believe in overkill when it comes to winterizing. After doing all the draining you mentioned, I use a small air compressor to blow out the lines. No more than 30-35 lbs. of pressure. After I've done that, then I pump the antifreeze through the system.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Don't forget the toilet valve. Make sure enough pink stuff runs thru into toilet. Mine froze last winter, and I had quite a leak in the spring.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3205 View Post
Don't forget the toilet valve. Make sure enough pink stuff runs thru into toilet. Mine froze last winter, and I had quite a leak in the spring.
Does an a frame even have a normal toilet?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
apudlak, looks like you did most everything right but I assume you have one of those blankety-blank water filter cartridges? Did you take it out?

Personally, I believe in overkill when it comes to winterizing. After doing all the draining you mentioned, I use a small air compressor to blow out the lines. No more than 30-35 lbs. of pressure. After I've done that, then I pump the antifreeze through the system.

Kdot

I do have one of those blankety-blank water filters under the sink. I thought about removing it, but I decided to just keep it in place and replace it at the beginning of camping season in the Spring.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

I like to put a bucket of DampRid inside of the camper when I do the final close. It does a great job of keeping the moisture out and no more musty smell. I use 1 bucket in my 31 foot MH and 2 buckets for my 41 foot FW. When you open up in the spring, just throw the bucket in the garbage. You'll be amazed how much water it collects.

Tags
frame, winter, winterize, a-frame