Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #21

Found out the Genesis radio unit will only play iPods through headset jack, not USB.
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsusluvsyou View Post
Found out the Genesis radio unit will only play iPods through headset jack, not USB.
If you read the post I made just before yours, and the manual posted in the beginning of this thread youowill see this has been covered.

You can play via the AUX in as well as via Bluetooth wirelessly. USB is for memory sticks with MP3s on them.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #23

Quote:
it is the aux input I mentioned in response to your post, not a headphone jack Also some older iDevices can be set to disk mode that will play through the USB port.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
If you read the post I made just before yours, and the manual posted in the beginning of this thread youowill see this has been covered.

You can play via the AUX in as well as via Bluetooth wirelessly. USB is for memory sticks with MP3s on them.
Our 2012 model A128s has the Genesis 1.0 system. The hardware looks the same as that shown in the posted manual - including video out RCAs on the back. However, it doesn't seem to have working Bluetooth or DVD features.
I've used thumb drives, SD cards, and CD's successfully with our unit.
When I tried the aux port, one of the inside channels (speaker) didn't seem to work. I tested it with my "el cheapo" MP3 player and my wife's IPhone 4 (the cable works fine in our car).

I would love to have both DVD video and BT! I really wish there was a firmware upgrade that would add those features!

Of all the options in "Rocko" that we thought we would never use or need, the stereo always seems to be on!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
When I tried the aux port, one of the inside channels (speaker) didn't seem to work. I tested it with my "el cheapo" MP3 player and my wife's IPhone 4 (the cable works fine in our car).

Likely a cold solder joint on the circuit board. Probably at the AUX connector itself.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #26

One thing struck me while looking through the Genesis 3 manual. It fails to use the common, albeit proprietary, terms associated with its features. It refers to a "high definition video out" connector instead of an HDMI and a "short range wireless link" instead of Bluetooth.

This terminology difference may or may not be important for functionality, but it sets the proper expectations for the unit as one may not perform to the standards of a home or high end mobile system. Personally, I'd rather not have an entertainment system in my camper because it tends to draw me away from the reasons I went camping in the first place. Such as the simple pleasure of conversation while watching a fire burn.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
One thing struck me while looking through the Genesis 3 manual. It fails to use the common, albeit proprietary, terms associated with its features. It refers to a "high definition video out" connector instead of an HDMI and a "short range wireless link" instead .
I suspect this is a translation issue from its country of origin or a desire not to pay the licensing fees associated with both technologies, or both. Lol
Old 05-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
I would love to have both DVD video and BT! I really wish there was a firmware upgrade that would add those features! ...
This is hardware change (not just firmware).

You can upgrade to a GT2 (DVD/BT/etc) as a plug and play replacement.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
This is hardware change (not just firmware).

You can upgrade to a GT2 (DVD/BT/etc) as a plug and play replacement.

Bob, it sound more like a plug and pay replacement.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #30

Did I understand you correctly? If you have genesis 1.0 you can upgrade for blue tooth and DVD ?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Did I understand you correctly? If you have genesis 1.0 you can upgrade for blue tooth and DVD ?
My message was that the GT2.0 is a plug and play replacement for the GT1.0 so if you wanted to add DVD & Bluetooth capability the upgrade is easy.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #32

How do you get 2.0
Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #33

Quote:
How do you get 2.0
What he means is you buy a new unit and throw out or give away the one you have. When we say plug and play we mean you can unplug the 1.0 unit you have, throw it away and plug in the new 2.0 genesis unit. There is no modification that needs to be done to your rv, the new genesis 2.0 will go into the space your current 1.0 unit occupies.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #34

Quote:
How do you get 2.0
rawlus,

I think the question may be legitimate?

I've not found the Genesis brand online. I have found the Concertone ZX85 with pricing. It appears to have the same form factor as the Genesis 1.0 - 2.0 series.

I can only assume it is available through RV dealers or manufacturers.

IMO, The pricing on the ZX85 is pretty $$$. You really have to want Bluetooth and/or DVD playback to justify the cost of pitching out your existing unit. Overall, the 1.0 unit is a pretty good system and we are very satisfied with it.

If ours gets zapped by lightning, surge, etc., I think we would definitely replace it with the ZX85 or its future equivalent.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #35

From what I can tell with Internet research, "Genesis" is a sub-branded "Concertone" made for forest river products... Sort of a licensed version. So it may be difficult to obtain a Genesis branded model except out of the parts department at your local forest river dealer. But you should be able to get the equivalent Concertone branded unit just about anywhere, including Crutchfield.com

Jensen radios also has jensenrvdirect.com with several options if you wish to move away from concertone products. Seems most of these products, with exception of concertone/genesis originate with the same for manufacturer operating under licensing deals with various brands it seems. Welcome to Parkway

If I had to do it over again, I think I'd look into marine options, I have no use for cd/DVD with all the other options and a smaller unit with vibration and weatherproof features is a nice plus for less money from a more reputable audio brand. The Sony CDX-H910UI is a slick looking unit. I can install my own speaker controls if needed.