Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Stinkbugs sneaking in!

A few stinkbugs managed to work their way into the camper in the corner where the hot water heater is.

I am considering some caulking inside of compartments, and adding some screen over vent areas to keep them out. Before I get going, I am wondering if anybody has dealt with this before, and how?
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

I honestly don't think there is any way to keep them out completely.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

You can try to calk some of the areas you see. Maybe some type of bug repellent you can use that is camper friendly?

One trip I had some kind of bug that I have never seen before infest the truck and camper. The side mirror on the truck was alive and moving there were so many. I wasn't bothered by the bugs inside the camper since they kept to the ceiling but my friend was freaking out. He tried using Bug Off spray to keep the bugs out... it was hilarious until that spray blew in my eyes. However, the areas he sprayed the bugs left. To this day I have no clue what kind of bugs they were.
glarior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
A few stinkbugs managed to work their way into the camper in the corner where the hot water heater is.

I am considering some caulking inside of compartments, and adding some screen over vent areas to keep them out. Before I get going, I am wondering if anybody has dealt with this before, and how?
You can't keep them out. Been dealing with them for the last few years. A 16th inch opening anywhere is all they need.

We make a sport of it. Get a plastic cup, fill it with water and a generous portion of dish soap. Gently pick them up and toss them in. They die in seconds. One with the most wins.

The good news is they seem to move on after a couple of years and really do no harm other than smelling bad and wasting my time.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

Stink bugs walk right in! This is like a wide open door. The umbrella style seal just inside is no better.
Not sure of to fabricate a seal for this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476987159.985942.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	123503
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

I used to have a trailer with the shove it in to store it power cord and flap as in the photo. I used to use a couple of the plastic store bags, the kind now illegal in many cities but still used in Idaho, and stuff those in around the plug or cable if plug is out. That seemed to work fine for almost all bugs, hornets, wasps, and such, for the several years we owned it before getting a new trailer in 2014 that has the removable power cord.
Those stink or assassin bugs, we have both the longer brownish and the shorter dark gray or black shield looking ones here, get into pretty much everything and everywhere, RV, house, vehicles.
While they disappear from outside as it gets cold, they'll still show up in the warmer house until November or December since they get inside too. They get the watery grave in the toilet when they appear.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs