Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Storage for RV-Que

What do people do for storage of their RV-Que?

The bag it comes with is too small for it to fit with the handles attached, and it's too big to fit into any of the storage areas. I'd rather not store it inside anyways due to dirt and grease and the like.

I was thinking of trying to rig up storage on the rear bumper by mounting some kind of a "rubbermaid"-like bin, but I've yet to be able to find anything that is the right size (either too small, or too large and extends beyond the side of the camper). I could try to custom make something out of plywood and mount it to the rear bumper, but my woodworking skills aren't great and I lack good tools as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad

The bag it comes with is too small for it to fit with the handles attached, and it's too big to fit into any of the storage areas. I'd rather not store it inside anyways due to dirt and grease and the like.

I was thinking of trying to rig up storage on the rear bumper by mounting some kind of a "rubbermaid"-like bin, but I've yet to be able to find anything that is the right size (either too small, or too large and extends beyond the side of the camper). I could try to custom make something out of plywood and mount it to the rear bumper, but my woodworking skills aren't great and I lack good tools as well.
I mount mine on the rear storage rack of my sabre.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
I take some simply green and a hose to it, let it dry, put it in a trash bag, and put it under the bed with the rest of my gear. Haven't had and issue yet.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

Mine does fit in the bag. I have to put it in at an angle to get the handles in. I put mine in a trash bag with a tie, then in the cloth bag it came with. Store it in the storage compartment. I do try and clean it good before storage.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
CampingQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post

The bag it comes with is too small for it to fit with the handles attached
OK, so what is up with that? I was all excited to see the storage bag when I started putting the grill together. I thought I was just doing something wrong when I couldn't get the dang thing in the bag once I got it put together. Glad to know it's not ME. Couldn't they have made that bag just a few inches wider??

arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

That is such a nice bag that is provided, wonder what they were thinking when they made it not to fit the que fully assembled. Oh well

I was thinking about trying to cut holes in the sides.

On a side note, we've only had our rig a few weeks now, so have not used the 'que' yet , but when I assembled it a grill handle and one of the cover handles were broken. I called the number on the instructions and got a polite young gal that took my information and sent me replacement parts w/in a week. Great customer service

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

We wipe ours down as best we can and then pop it into a heavy garbage bag. Our A128S has the front storage locker so I put it in there, on top of a large rubbermaid container which happens to have a large lip on the cover and it hold it very good. Plus being ontop of the container makes it easier to get out as to reach down to the bottom of the storage locker can be a stretch.
Curious about the 'bag' mentioned in some of the other posts - ours did not come in a bag. But we did get a really nice Forest River long handled spatula
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

I meant to add to my post - has anyone else had difficulties with the hose that pulls out of the side of the camper and connects to the que? Our first 6 trips it worked great, last couple the flame was so low it was almost out - I removed the black 'hatchway' from the side of the trailer (after first completely taking the grill apart) and noticed that the point where the hose meets the copper pipe inside was kinked, restricting the propane. I have always thought that the hose was 3" too short and it put a bit of strain on the hose to get it out and connected - so I guess the hose being so close to mas length finally caused the pinch. I am either going to try and find a M/F extension or maybe the proper fittings to take the que from a connection that points straight down to a 45 degree towards the trailer.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker25 View Post
Curious about the 'bag' mentioned in some of the other posts - ours did not come in a bag. But we did get a really nice Forest River long handled spatula
The bag that came with ours is made of black fairly heavy duty fabric, with a zippered opening for putting in the que and a strap for carrying it. It fits in 'snuggly' with/out the side handles, but not at all with the handles.

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
CampingQueen

Chucker, I think it depends on the TT you have as to which grill you get. We had a 2012 popup and the grill we got with that one was smaller and did not have a bag. We traded that one in after a year for a 2012 V-lite and the Que with the larger TT was larger, had some upgraded features like a thermometer and spark lighter and the storage bag.

Now that Road-King has laid down the gauntlet, I'm going to go back out there and wrestle the grill into that dang bag. Also like the cutting the holes in the side idea and/or finding a plastic bin.

You guys have me thinking about this...
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #11

I could not get my grill in the bag without removing the side handles, I gave up and took the useless handles off. I store it in the bag in a plastic bin, but have to stand it up right on it side to fit the bin. I guess it just makes you wounder....
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

Unless I am "camping" we don't even take ours. Keep it in a Rubbermaid box with the lid. Put in the back of the truck if we are taking it. Too much trouble if we are out sightseeing. We grab most of our meals out when traveling about. Didn't get a bag with mine.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #13

We have a 2013 A127TH...no bag with our Que, but did get the spatula. We keep the Que in the back storage compartment. It's a little tricky getting it in - but no trouble as long as you're hopping on one foot, sticking out your tongue, and crossing your fingers!! :-0
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #14

I just spent 10 mins again trying to get it in the bag. No dice, at least with the handles on.

For now, I can haul it in the front cargo rack in a trash bag, but longer term I'd really like something better. Maybe I'll break down and build some kind of a wooden box from plywood that I can mount on the rear bumper (or try to pay off a carpenter-friend with beer to make one )
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad
(or try to pay off a carpenter-friend with beer to make one )
That's a great plan!!!!!
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #16

Of course, now I need to find a carpenter friend! :P
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #17

With enuf beer they will find you
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #18

Bag? I didn't see no stinkin' bag?

We store ours in the back compartment of our A128s. I agree with FarFromStock, if you turn it sideways, then upside down, cross your eyes and fingers, it goes in with ABSOLUTELY no trouble!

BTW: I hate the 3' hose as well.

We use our grill quite a bit as I am always forgetting to buy charcoal!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #19

Not a storage tip, but a usage tip - the Que that came with our A128S had an 'upper' level grill which apparently was to warm buns etc. The trouble is that the clearance between the upper grill and the top cover when closed is only about 1/2" - so it was almost useless. Plus, the upper grill made it difficult to fully utilize the main grill, and it is small enough to begin with (try flipping a burger that is at the back of the grill). So I used a bolt-cutter to clip the top grill completely off and now we have a much more usable grill.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #20

I share the struggles of finding a good place to store/haul the grill. I have a 2 door Jeep so cargo space in the Jeep is a premium and unfortunately the only place I have been comfy hauling the grill.

However I will warn against mounting it to the rear bumper. I've read lots of posts here and other forums of the horrors of items mounted to the bumper causing damage to the camper, camper frame and even the items themselves.

There is a lot of jostling that happens at the end of the trailer. Mounting anything with any significant weight will transfer that weight and stresses of its movement through the bumper and into the frame.

I fear a plywood box plus the grill will weigh in at least about 40 lbs.. That much weight wouldn't be good in my opinion.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote