Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Red face Storage or save a few bucks?

HI all,
Should I go with a 2013 124 (cheaper but no storage box in front) or 2014 124S. I have a half ton pickup with a shell on it so I don't need the storage.
I have read all threads in this A frame forum and I would value your feedback. I'm going to pull the trigger on this within a few weeks!
JIM
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #2

Only you can answer this question... I have the A122 without storage and we don't miss it, it's just the two of us, our EZ up canopy fits fine in top of the collapsed dinette inside the camper. I didn't want the storage as it would most likely just make me bring more things we wouldn't actually use.

We have lightened our load over the part few years just by eliminating the things we don't use from our travel list.

If you have kids or like to be prepared for anything, then you may actually want the extra storage space....

So the decision sort of yours to make.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

Storage or save a few bucks?

Get the storage, I was going for an Aliner at first because it is tiny and my TV could handle it with no problems. The $$$ difference cheaper I got the A128S, I could not put heavy stuff in the storage because of TW issues but I like the convenience of putting tarps, toys, gas containers etc...light stuff. Also during set up I put more stuff in the storage and lock it up. I also leave camping stuff that are in my TV after camping in there for storage.

The extra money you will pay is for convenience which is priceless.

Good Luck and Have fun with your AFrame of choice!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

storage to me is very important. Everything can stay in camper instead of loading/unloading all the time. Eliminates things being forgotten. We just got our first 5th wheel and I have enough storage that all I have to load each trip is firewood, kayak and bikes.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

We have A122BH. Love the outside storage on the front for the bikes. Wouldn't bring them before because it was a hassle to load onto rack on TV then would have to remove bikes if we needed to get into the back of the TV (often). We pared down what we always take with us....that stuff in the previous tent trailer that we thought we would use, but never touched. Storage under the bed of the 122 is plenty for us. Solar panels and outdoor stove go under the table and out once we arrive. All we need to pack when we are ready to go is clothes and food. Lovin' it, but haven't been out since Christmas...and here in CA we don't have the excuse of weather....family just too busy with robotics build and competition season.....soon, very soon we'll get out....
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

My truck has the bed shell also and I have the storage trunk. I use it for dirty stuff like my Bal leveler, chocks, charcoal and the like. It also holds bulky stuff like chairs. The nice thing to me is I keep it loaded so I am now almost hitch and go while I can still get into the camper when needed. I also camp with a group and wind up driving with several passengers at times. It is nice to be able to leave the back of the truck open for their gear so I don't have to sort through the back at camp or when we get home. The inside of the A Frame is so spacious that it is not strictly needed but I enjoy it.

YMMV

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

if you can leave all that stuff in the storage of the camper, you can have your truck bed back and not haul that stuff around needlessly between trips
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Retread Popup Owner

I am so very glad we have the storage, for all of the above reasons given. Also, after setting up it's a great place for stowing bags from the EZ Up, from chairs, from folding tables, etc. We have a collapsible 2 bike rack, and that also gets tossed into the trunk at the site. Our TV is an Explorer, and it's darn nice to not have to clutter up the back of it with all that stuff.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

I have a 2013 124

Jimster, I have a 2013 124 without the extra storage along with a Subaru Outback (crossover) with ample but limited storage. The 124 is a 2 person only A-frame which limits who you can take and how much stuff you need. We found the 124 storage on-board plus the Outback has plenty of room for what we need. The real limitation is the refrigerator. We have to shop twice a week so that also limits what we need. I hope this helps.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #10

Get the storage.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #11

Have the A122BH love the open storage in front for bikes. Storage is a must
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #12

/l
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #13

Lots of good info! Going Saturday to choose. (getting excited)
From what I've read here the coupler height is 20". Is this correct?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #14

Have fun shopping. And even more fun camping.

I don't recall the coupler height. The common and received wisdom (meaning this is what I have read from people that seem to know what they are talking about) is that the camper is level to very slightly front down when packed for camping and hitched. The drop or rise of the draw bar should be what ever is needed to achieve the proper pitch of the camper.

My personal experience recommendation is to find a commercial trailer shop and have them set it up. It is worth the extra cost to establish a relationship with a professional shop. If you can find one that is closer to you than your RV dealer, they can also do trailer maintenance like lubing the bearings (if you don't do that yourself) or replacing the tires, usually on the same day.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #15

if you have a 1/2 ton .. you wont need the storage. The last thing i like to do is start pulling stuff out of the trailer before i put it up ... so all my heavy stuff goes into the back of the truck, bal leveler, ice machine, EZ up, weber Q 120, a box dedicated for fixing problems on the road, and a cooler for drinks.
Decks or storage on the front of these units are nice, but put an extra amount of hitch weight on an already pretty hitch heavy little trailer. Evenly dispersed through a truck you wont have these problems ..

d-mo
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #16

So it seems to be binary. There are two options for storage, people either have it or they don't, people either need it or they don't & people either love it or they don't.

Just remember, when it comes to binary, there are 10 kinds of people in the world.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #17

If you have a tow vehicle that can handle the weight, Storage is a nice option to have in the event it might be needed. However, just because you have it doesn't mean you are obligated to fill it up. Evaluate your camping style and equipment needs.
I have a truck but I haul the dogs in their crates in the truck box so NO room for other misc camping equipment. I am glad to have the extra room .

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #18

If it makes any difference the storage trunk adds about 2 ft. to the overall length.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage