Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Storing Aframe in garage

I have a full size pick up and of course my Aframe, moving into a house with an attached 2 car garage. Not sure if both will fit. Anyone park their Aframe and vehicle in a 2 car garage? Just curious
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

You can probably do it but not going to have much moving around room. I parked my A128S in my garage for the first year...I had 2 inches on each side of the camper to get it through the garage door so figure if your tow vehicle takes up that much space then not much left to walk around in.

I had a 4' x 8' work bench on the other side so I had plenty of room but if I had put my Durango in it would be tight.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

For me it didn't work with our truck and a popup. But we have two separate doors with a brick pillar in the middle. If i had one big double-door I might have been able to make it work. I kept the popup in the garage and the cars on the driveway, but mostly that's because my HAA wouldn't let me keep the camper on the driveway..
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

We bought the smaller A122 because the garage in our previous house was so short. We parked in the single stall of a 3 car garage (far side from the house entrance). I had to move the A-frame in and out by hand because there was only an inch or two clearance at the garage door sides.

The new house (moved Summer 2015) has a deeper and higher 3 car garage. This time, the double door is on the far side from the house entrance, making life easier. We simply back the A-frame somewhere near the right spot, then unhook and roll by hand to the far back corner of the garage. This gives room in front of the A-frame for the garbage cans and lawn mower. The extra height allows me to open the A-frame in the garage (just clearing the garage door opening chain and motor) for maintenance and upgrades.

FWIW, neither garage would hold some full-size pickups. I'm a very happy camper with garage storage. Very easy to go camping with just an hour or two's notice.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to palatalo
A-Frame in Garage

I have a 'standard' 2-car garage. When I had to replace a skylight this past winter, I just evacuated both cars, backed in camper and was good to go. Just enough room to get around front and back....but not to park a car next to camper (19').
palatalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

You may find that the use of car dollies helps to get the camper tightly in a corner more easily than just rolling it, because you can move directly sideways.

Vehicle Dollies - 2 Piece, 1500 Lb. Capacity

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

I also park my A122S in the garage with just enough room to close the garage door. I don't have a tall garage, so I can't setup the unit in the garage - dang it!

I also have a sloping driveway, so setting up the 122 on the driveway is not an option. I can't driveway camp - not good. Next house will have a level driveway.

I can park my car in the garage next to the camper with enough room to spare to get into the drivers side of the car, but I'd have to back the car out if someone would want to get in the passenger side.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Just barely fits in the garage, but that is the key factor that drove the purchase. No access to put it in the backyard, HOA won't let me store it in the driveway - my RV HAD to fit in the garage, or I would not have made the purchase. It's a tight fit. You have to pull the trailer out of the garage to access the storage cabinets, then push it back in. Narrow isle-way between trailer and car, but it works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	97632  

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Thank you all for the input. Dollies sound like a good idea. Also thank you DanM for the picture , really shows how tight it is, but doable. I also will have an HOA that doesn't allow driveway storage.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

I would have more side-to-side room if not for the storage cabinets lining each side wall. Also, i have broken the rear passenger side marker light once when I snagged it on the edge of a cabinet door pulling it out. Yup, things are real tight. Getting in or out of the car without banging the door against the side of the trailer is another thing you have to be careful with.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 AM   #11

Thanks DanM. Good advice. On a seperate topic, I watched a video a while ago of you showing your camp at a hunt outing I believe. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts and how long did you camp there for. Also, what were you hunting? I took mine to the Rosebud Indian Reservation this past late May, and did some prairie dog hunting. Boondocked for a week. Camping was great, hunting not so much, too cold for prairie dogs to be out.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #12

That was my fall 2015 deer hunt in north-central Arizona on National Forest land. It is Pinyon-pine and juniper country. The area also goes higher into Ponderosa pine country, but I was hunting a little lower. I ended up boondock camping for eleven nights, including one rainy day when I stayed in the camper all day. I got my deer the next day as the weather system was exiting.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #13

So I will be moving into the new house end of the month. I will see if truck and A frame will fit in garage. I will post pics of succesd or failure and advise on measurements.

Tags
frame, a-frame