Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Suburban Heater Not Working

For the life of me, I can not get the suburban furnace to do anything. I have a 2015 Rockwood A192hw. I'm hooked up to shore power, coolcat A/C and heatpump works, propane tanks full (used the hot water heater, and the stove), battery fully charged, furnace fuse in the panel and inline 7.5amp fuses good. Set the digital thermostat to furnace, set temperature to 82 degrees (in driveway prepping, cleaning, and testing everything for next weekend). The fan is set to "AU", and all that happens is a single click at the coolcat unit. Furnace fan doesn't come on, no ignition, nothing. Ambient temperature well below 82 degrees. Any ideas?
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Do you have a digital t-stat?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Yes
Old 05-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Suburban Heater Not Working

Ok. I made a mistake once of switching the degree variance from 2 to 1. Follow these instructions to put back to d2

To set the temperature differential the system must be Off. Press the “―” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. Release the On/Off Mode button. Then release the “―” button. Press the “+” button to toggle between “d1” and “d2”, “d1” for 1 degree F differential and “d2” for 2 de- grees F differential.

I can't remember if it was my heater or ac that wouldn't turn on after I made this change.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Thank you, I will change the differential to d2 if not already there and let you know.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Site Team

I think this is the AC thermostat. The WH usually has a fixed controller as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Ok. I made a mistake once of switching the degree variance from 2 to 1. Follow these instructions to put back to d2

To set the temperature differential the system must be Off. Press the “―” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. Release the On/Off Mode button. Then release the “―” button. Press the “+” button to toggle between “d1” and “d2”, “d1” for 1 degree F differential and “d2” for 2 de- grees F differential.

I can't remember if it was my heater or ac that wouldn't turn on after I made this change.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

Ok, I followed your instructions, looks like ot was already set to D2. I toggled them just to make sure. Furnace still not working. Very peculiar. Thank you for the tip.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

I run ours in "D1" so it does not over shoot so much. it work just fine in this setting.

I would make sure I had 12 volts going to the heater. I would check that I had 12 Volts at one end of the 7.5 fuse. ( I would take it out an measure in the fuse holder.)
The heater check that you have air flow before it does anything more. so no fan it stop right there.
I do not have my manual here but there is a master reset for the thermostat , it uses some combination of the off + or - buttons.
For testing I would set the temp to 90 plus.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
I run ours in "D1" so it does not over shoot so much. it work just fine in this setting.

I would make sure I had 12 volts going to the heater. I would check that I had 12 Volts at one end of the 7.5 fuse. ( I would take it out an measure in the fuse holder.)
The heater check that you have air flow before it does anything more. so no fan it stop right there.
I do not have my manual here but there is a master reset for the thermostat , it uses some combination of the off + or - buttons.
For testing I would set the temp to 90 plus.
Yes, the next step is tracing. Ugghh. Time to find my old school meter. Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the feedback. This is why I love this forum.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Had a problem with my furnace not working and had a RV mobile repair man check it out and he replaced 2 sensors that are located on the back of the furnace and solved my problem When got back in town went to my dealer to submit a warrenty claim and they informed they are having a lot of problems with the sensors on Suburban furnaces. Doing the same fix I had done.
jrmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Have you cycled the thermostat completly off and on multiple times? It will make only a limited number of attempts to fire up before timing out. You will then have to cycle the thermostat to get it to attempt to start again. This is sometimes necessary if there is air in the line. Might take several attempts to purge the air.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmorris View Post
Had a problem with my furnace not working and had a RV mobile repair man check it out and he replaced 2 sensors that are located on the back of the furnace and solved my problem When got back in town went to my dealer to submit a warrenty claim and they informed they are having a lot of problems with the sensors on Suburban furnaces. Doing the same fix I had done.
Thank you, I think that's the 1st place on the furnace I'll check. I appreciate the info.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Have you cycled thd thermostat completly off and on multiple times? It will make only a limited number of attempts to fire up before timing out. You will then have to cycle the thermostat to get it to attempt to start again. This is sometimes necessary if there is air in the line. Might take several attempts to purge the air.
I don't think that's the case. The furnace does nothing, like it has no 12V power, but it does have power.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #14

Is the propane on?

Did you change the mode to "Furnace"?
(Good for you to remember to put it on auto)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Is the propane on?

Did you change the mode to "Furnace"?
(Good for you to remember to put it on auto)
Propane is on. Even lit the stove to make sure. My Dometic digital thermostat has four modes: Fan, cool, furnace, and heat pump. Each mode has a green LED next to its label indicating which one is selected. I select furnace, turn the thermostat temperature up above ambient, and nothing happens.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Site Team

Has it ever worked?

If not, there may be a switch on the unit itself that's turned off. Seen a few reports of that.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Has it ever worked?

If not, there may be a switch on the unit itself that's turned off. Seen a few reports of that.
I purchased April last year. When I got it home, I tested everything and it worked then.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
Site Team

And you checked at the furnace and there's power at the fuse, but none at the furnace?

Sounds like a wire loose somewhere.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #19

After two years without the furnace working, I finally found the problem. I found a broken wire at the connector near the coolcat unit under the bed. The wire was still in the connect, but making good contact. Snipped off the cheap connector, twisted wires together and put a new wire but on. Furnace blower came on, gas lit, furnace operating normally now. 2 years. So relieved I finally found it.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Wow! Thanks for coming back after so long and letting us know what you found.

I'm glad that you finally found it and it wasn't too hard to fix.

Tags
heater, suburban