Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Summer/UV Light Weight Cover?

I have asked about this before and I really couldn't find anything that would work. I found this pic of a pop-up camper with something that kind of looks like what I am talking about. Imagine a cover that is light weight, breathable, easy to cover and remove, it does not have to be water resistant just provide good UV protection. My camper is stored outside and during the winter it is covered by a nice Adco cover, but it is not easy to cover/remove and would be damaged from the constant on & off.

The cover in the below pic is about the coverage that I would be looking at. The sun is brutal to the exposed top of the camper and I think this would prolong the life of the roof panels and exposed components.
The corners on the summer cover would need to be reinforced and some type of bungee cord attachment that is easy to secure would be nice.

If anybody knows of something that may be close to this let me know. If I can find some time I will contact Adco and some other cover manufactures and provide them with this concept for a summer cover.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea or not!

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #2

First suggestion. Avoid black for a summer cover. Other than that, as an outdoor storage solution sounds like a good idea.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

I agree 100% about the color, it will need to be a light gray or white. That was the only photo of something that was close to what I was thinking of.

If I get any feedback from a cover manufacture I will let everyone know.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Is that an aftermarket cover or a part of the trailer? It looks like is snaps into place on the side of the frame.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Is that an aftermarket cover or a part of the trailer? It looks like is snaps into place on the side of the frame.
That is part of that trailer, it was the closest thing that I could find that was close to what I was describing. That cover does snap on, but that is not what I would like to see for our trailers, I would like to see a simple bungee system with hooks.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Good question about a uv sunlight protection. I will be storing my 122bh in the hot Florida sun and want to find a good cover. wish I knew what the military used to cover old aircraft stored in the desert. Seen pics of it and it works for them,
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That is part of that trailer, it was the closest thing that I could find that was close to what I was describing. That cover does snap on, but that is not what I would like to see for our trailers, I would like to see a simple bungee system with hooks.
Why not take it to an upholstery shop and get an estimate on a custom made one?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why not take it to an upholstery shop and get an estimate on a custom made one?
I was thinking of something not as expensive as Cutom Made, and it would be available to all of us with A-frame campers. I have been busy at home and work, but I am going to send a request to ADCO and see what they say.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I was thinking of something not as expensive as Cutom Made, and it would be available to all of us with A-frame campers. I have been busy at home and work, but I am going to send a request to ADCO and see what they say.
Might not be as expensive as you think. We had 4 outside window coverings made for less than $20 and we furnished the material. BTW, two covered two windows and one covered the whole rear end of a trailer.

Go to Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and get the silver tarps and some bungee cords.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #10

My main concern with using the cover (I have the Adco) is avoiding the rub on the bubble windows with the wind. El Beso will periodically be out of the shop this summer and under the sun (gasp!) but under Adco cover parked on concrete slab in the backyard. Shes only allowed shop time in the Fall and Winter....sigh. Would be curious to see if Adco would create a cover specific to A-Frame boxes.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote