Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Retread Popup Owner

Swapping Table Bases on T12DDST

We have a dual dinette, and I am considering removing the fold up legs on our front dinette and swapping it with the base/post setup from the rear dinette. The fold down legs are difficult to work with, and they have the legs so close together that the table tips easily side to side.

We will at times convert the rear dinette from a bed to use the U shaped couch, but we can't see us using both dinettes. We bought this configuration mainly because of the extra dinette seat storage two dinettes provide, knowing we likely wouldn't be using both dinette tables.

The three concerns that pop into my head so far are...
  • The size of the front dinette table, and possible stability issues using the base/post setup.
  • Removing the base will leave holes in the floor beneath the rear dinette. I've considered buying new base/post mounting hardware, rather than moving. This requires the CFO to release funds for a purchase, but it does give her the option to use both dinettes down the road should she ever want to.
  • We will lose the ability to slide the table side to side. I don't believe it will cause a problem for my wife and I, but a larger guest might have a need to slide the table when accessing the back dinette seat. We also won't be able to take the table outside, but we already have outside folding camp tables for that purpose.

So...thoughts? Opinions? Advice? All would be appreciated.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

i just did a similar modification detailed in a recent post (Recent A-Frame Mods)

the aluminum cones for the base are very inexpensive so it shouldnt be too much to get the CFO's approval, you probably won't even need to go out to bid or obtain a P.O. from the purchasing dept.

There is a center angle iron under the floor that kept me from securing through all 6 base holes, but with 4 secured the table is pretty stable so far.

I'd leave your other base in place unless it would be a nuisance or you'd be tripping over it all the time. gives you some options that way and avoids the extra holes.

If you check out my post, rather than reusing an existing table I fabricated a new top out of birch plywood, cut the table to the size i wanted and added an extra piece for when the table is in the down mode. Probably the mod i am mosthappy with so far.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

Another table base isn't very expensive, though having two of them on the floor to work around takes some getting used to. We have the same configuration as you, except our model was built before they added the outside front storage locker. We reduced the front dinette to half its depth by adding a storage unit all along the inside front of the trailer. That has worked out very well for us. Another member has done the same thing, although his has a nicer finish than mine. Kevin posted pictures here I think, but I don't recall the strand name.

He's also on the FB Aframe group and you can search there: Kevin Christine Dullea (my spelling may be off but if you look at the alphabetical list of that group's members you should find it). Then you could PM him for more info and maybe photos.

And you won't go wrong following Rawlus' lead either. He's done lots of good stuff to his unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-181018841.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	37276  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

thanks hamguy - theres no right or wrong here, just different approaches. whatever works for you.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Retread Popup Owner

The better half doesn't care for the unused base under our bed. She said it gets in the way of storage, and I agree. So, I'll be moving the base and sealing the holes. I'll then move the other end from the bottom of one table to the other. We like the
table...just not the folding legs.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

for the big bulky OEM table, you might consider two pedestals. that's a heavy table with the added bracing under it - one of the reasons i wanted to get rid of it and replace with something both lighter and stronger. but let us know if the single pedestal is okay for the more rectangular OEM table...

(i could be mistaken though as mine is a 2006 and yours is a 2014 - perhaps they have improved/changed the materials)
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

We have the A128s (dual dinnette) and we keep the bed setup permanently (proper mattress is nice) so we keep the large legged table at home and moved the smaller rear table/post/base to the front. The smaller table makes it much more convenient to get in and out of and there is only the two of us. I used brass flat head wood screws to plug the rear dinnette base holes. A couple of pine boards provide the support for the mattress. Up front, with the smaller table I have another couple pine boards in case we want to setup the front bed (haven't yet) and when the table is setup we keep one of the pine boards in place at the very front, making a very handy shelf for cans, dry goods, bottled water etc
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Retread Popup Owner

That's interesting, chucker25. I hadn't considered just moving the smaller table to the front.

We opted to do nothing for now. We're going to live with the tables as they are for a season, and then decide what we want to do. So far we actually do like the larger dinette table. I naturally get the far side bench, the one by the stove that takes just a little bit more effort to get into.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods