Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Question T12SC Newbie seeks wisdom from experienced owners

Just bought a T12SC (2012, but still new on the dealer's lot). Major upgrade from sleeping in the back of a Grand Caravan!

I was wondering what sort of experiences others have had specific to the T12SC. It doesn't seem to get mentioned much in the forums, which means either there aren't many out there or it has very few issues.

What problems have you had with the T12SC and how did you resolve them? Did you do any great mods or upgrades? Got any advice for the new kid on the block?

Thanks!!!

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing"
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

I see you have already bought the unit. I bought a 2014 Rockwood A122, which is a very different floor plan, but otherwise very similar.

The upgrades we have made (most are universal to the FR A-frames):

- replaced the hinges on the dinette seat which has storage under it. Added a latching lever to hold the seat bottom in the upright position so we don't have to hold it open when accessing.

- added a foam topper to our bed (we have both a bed and dinette in our floor plan). The standard cushions and mattresses are not comfortable to sleep on (in our opinion).

- we tow with a Hyundai Entourage minivan. When I test towed at dealership, was unhappy with ride of both camper and van. Dealer fitted Equal-i-zer 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway, which restored minivan handling to normal. Heavier unit was used because bar mounts could not go back on camper quite as far as Equal-i-zer recommends. Had to raise the LP tank rack to fit the L-brackets as it was. I would never tow anything this size with a soft suspension vehicle without WDH again. I love it.

- left the outside BBQ and porta potty at home (we have no inside shower or toilet compartment). We carry a 2 burner propane camping stove for use at the picnic table instead. And we use campground facilities.

- as part of the sale, we insisted on a dual battery installation so that our heater would work through a long weekend camping without hookups. I am installing a battery selector/cut-off switch so I don't have to disconnect battery wires when we get home.

haven't done yet but part of the mod plan:

- replace the external compartment door locks with keyed thumb locks (seen here on this forum).

- add 12V cigarette lighter to recharge/run 12V accessories

If you are going to camp without hookups, I strongly recommend switching to LEDs for any inside lights. The 2nd battery would be the next step after the LEDs.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (stores in garage)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camped 5 weekends so far
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Have done a number of things to our A122, but the best ones that prove most beneficial would be ... installing a 12 volt socket by the radio for use with a Create a Breeze fan (Fantasic Fan product). These units push air within the unit .. very quietly and really well and is used both when heating or when we have the windows open at night.
If you camp off line .. it is very advisable to go to a 2 battery system. Dont go cheap .. I did the first time with a what i thought were two deep cycles .. but basically they were just RV Marine in disguise...After two years and both these new batteries being toasted i purchased two true deep cycles .. and man these things can hold a charge.

Now if we go away for an extended weekend, the solar panels do not even come along .. as these batteries will power everything .. with extremely little discharge.

Look after your batteries well and they will look after you.

d-mo
Old 10-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #4

My favorite mod was to use a power strip to get 120V access on top of the cabinetry. Both the strips have flat a plug where the wire comes off at an angle. The strip on the microwave cabinet has 2 usb outlets. Both are attached to the wall with numerous 3M command strips. A great product but it does mean one has to apply care when unplugging from the strip.

I have put several 3M command hangers in the camper for coats and caps. It keep the coats off the bed and I can find my hat now.

I also put in 2 12V outlets. I put mine where the cable outlet is using a blank wall electrical cover The oversize nylon cover fits in perfectly and is easy to cut. Because I have a fixed bed, it was easy to pull power from the 20 Amp fused fridge circuit. I put a 15 amp inline fuse for each socket.

If you even think about dry camping, get LED bulbs. The warm white style are as almost as bright as the incandescents and have a good color. They just sip at the battery instead of gulping.

A baffle for the fridge compartment.

My plans include

LED lighting in the undersink cabinet using a magnetic switch.

A computer fan for forced air ventilation of the fridge compartment. Still looking for a heat activated switch for this, but I may settle on a simple rocker switch.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the great ideas.
Kanikamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

I have zero input specific to your A-Frame model. I will share that my favorite change was switching out the locks on my exterior storage doors to the locking thumb turn locks. Don't think I've heard anyone I've recommended them to, complain they wasted their money. LOL

I also am glad to have added the baggage catch inside to hold the dinette bench seat up when I access that area while inside the trailer.

Lastly, eliminating the large dining table in lieu of the plank boards (for bed support) and replaced with a smaller table.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags