Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Taking delivery of new A212HW

We're taking delivery of a new A212HW tomorrow. Unlike a lot of people, we are drastically downsizing from a 30 foot fifth wheel. The reason for our downsizing is that our camping style is more suited to state parks, national forests and national parks. We want to be able to go to these places and comfortably get in, set up quickly and relax and enjoy the outdoors. We'll probably get a portable solar panel to maintain the battery for the times we are dry camping for extended periods.

If any of you have any suggestions, we are more than open to your ideas, opinions and comments.

We are seriously contemplating taking the Alaska highway next year. We have done a cruise with land excursion afterward, but were frustrated at the lack of time in the places we went. This trip would remedy that for us as well as help us to work on our bucket list of visiting every state in the nation. I only have a few left, DW has many more that this trip will cover.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
We're taking delivery of a new A212HW tomorrow. Unlike a lot of people, we are drastically downsizing from a 30 foot fifth wheel. The reason for our downsizing is that our camping style is more suited to state parks, national forests and national parks. We want to be able to go to these places and comfortably get in, set up quickly and relax and enjoy the outdoors. We'll probably get a portable solar panel to maintain the battery for the times we are dry camping for extended periods.

If any of you have any suggestions, we are more than open to your ideas, opinions and comments.

We are seriously contemplating taking the Alaska highway next year. We have done a cruise with land excursion afterward, but were frustrated at the lack of time in the places we went. This trip would remedy that for us as well as help us to work on our bucket list of visiting every state in the nation. I only have a few left, DW has many more that this trip will cover.
Congratulations, for simplicity, easy set up, and towing in my opinion you can't beat the A-frames ! A little tight but works for 2. We have even taken ours through the drive thru at McDonalds, you won't know it's behind you when you are towing it. If you are going to "run and gun" the A-frame is the ticket !

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Brand new A-framer here and you will LOVE it if that is your camping style! DH and I were watching the "big rigs" try to park and pull out in a small state park this weekend and wondering how/why all of that is even necessary. I guess we still have a lot to learn. :rollblack:

Don't be afraid to modify things to fit your needs. I pulled the big table out yesterday and put in a little folding bistro table yesterday and built a small shelving unit and put it on it's side for a "dresser" of sorts. If you want to see pics, let me know.

Welcome to the forum! It's a pretty awesome place!

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #4

Congrats on the new camper!

p.s. - would like to see Mama's table pic.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
p.s. - would like to see Mama's table pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	113970

Old 07-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #6

I just also purchased a HW212. Love it! but noticed one thing; we noticed. when the power lift is dropping the roof the roof side over the bed, as it passes the vent opening on the roof side over the dinette, it catches on the fan control knob, pulls it for about a second or so, looks like the knob is going to be torn off, then it finally passes over it. Has anyone else with the power roof seen this? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Quarter Coach View Post
I just also purchased a HW212. Love it! but noticed one thing; we noticed. when the power lift is dropping the roof the roof side over the bed, as it passes the vent opening on the roof side over the dinette, it catches on the fan control knob, pulls it for about a second or so, looks like the knob is going to be torn off, then it finally passes over it. Has anyone else with the power roof seen this? Thanks!

Brought it home last night. I'll take it over to storage later today after I've put a few things in it. We had a good test of waterproofing, as we had a typical early evening Florida thunderstorm. So far all seem O.K. But I haven't popped it up yet this morning. From what I can see, Forest River may have fixed the closed roof leak problem, as the foam seal is very thick and compresses down about 1/4" or more. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

Congratulations!!! I haven't seen that issue with our 2016 - I'll try to remember to watch that this Friday when we prep for weekend trip.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

Love the Bistro table. We took out the large table and are using the same side table that was meant to be used outside beside the grill. It suits us.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGrandCampers View Post
Love the Bistro table. We took out the large table and are using the same side table that was meant to be used outside beside the grill. It suits us.
Awesome! That big table was just too big. Glad you found something to work for you!