Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Taking delivery of new A212HW

We're taking delivery of a new A212HW tomorrow. Unlike a lot of people, we are drastically downsizing from a 30 foot fifth wheel. The reason for our downsizing is that our camping style is more suited to state parks, national forests and national parks. We want to be able to go to these places and comfortably get in, set up quickly and relax and enjoy the outdoors. We'll probably get a portable solar panel to maintain the battery for the times we are dry camping for extended periods.

If any of you have any suggestions, we are more than open to your ideas, opinions and comments.

We are seriously contemplating taking the Alaska highway next year. We have done a cruise with land excursion afterward, but were frustrated at the lack of time in the places we went. This trip would remedy that for us as well as help us to work on our bucket list of visiting every state in the nation. I only have a few left, DW has many more that this trip will cover.
__________________

__________________
2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer w/ Tow Package
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Butch Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liberty, NC
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
We're taking delivery of a new A212HW tomorrow. Unlike a lot of people, we are drastically downsizing from a 30 foot fifth wheel. The reason for our downsizing is that our camping style is more suited to state parks, national forests and national parks. We want to be able to go to these places and comfortably get in, set up quickly and relax and enjoy the outdoors. We'll probably get a portable solar panel to maintain the battery for the times we are dry camping for extended periods.

If any of you have any suggestions, we are more than open to your ideas, opinions and comments.

We are seriously contemplating taking the Alaska highway next year. We have done a cruise with land excursion afterward, but were frustrated at the lack of time in the places we went. This trip would remedy that for us as well as help us to work on our bucket list of visiting every state in the nation. I only have a few left, DW has many more that this trip will cover.
Congratulations, for simplicity, easy set up, and towing in my opinion you can't beat the A-frames ! A little tight but works for 2. We have even taken ours through the drive thru at McDonalds, you won't know it's behind you when you are towing it. If you are going to "run and gun" the A-frame is the ticket !
__________________

__________________
Butch Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 58
Brand new A-framer here and you will LOVE it if that is your camping style! DH and I were watching the "big rigs" try to park and pull out in a small state park this weekend and wondering how/why all of that is even necessary. I guess we still have a lot to learn. :rollblack:

Don't be afraid to modify things to fit your needs. I pulled the big table out yesterday and put in a little folding bistro table yesterday and built a small shelving unit and put it on it's side for a "dresser" of sorts. If you want to see pics, let me know.

Welcome to the forum! It's a pretty awesome place!
__________________

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 153
Congrats on the new camper!

p.s. - would like to see Mama's table pic.
__________________
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
p.s. - would like to see Mama's table pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	113970
__________________

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
I just also purchased a HW212. Love it! but noticed one thing; we noticed. when the power lift is dropping the roof the roof side over the bed, as it passes the vent opening on the roof side over the dinette, it catches on the fan control knob, pulls it for about a second or so, looks like the knob is going to be torn off, then it finally passes over it. Has anyone else with the power roof seen this? Thanks!
__________________
4th Quarter Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Quarter Coach View Post
I just also purchased a HW212. Love it! but noticed one thing; we noticed. when the power lift is dropping the roof the roof side over the bed, as it passes the vent opening on the roof side over the dinette, it catches on the fan control knob, pulls it for about a second or so, looks like the knob is going to be torn off, then it finally passes over it. Has anyone else with the power roof seen this? Thanks!

Brought it home last night. I'll take it over to storage later today after I've put a few things in it. We had a good test of waterproofing, as we had a typical early evening Florida thunderstorm. So far all seem O.K. But I haven't popped it up yet this morning. From what I can see, Forest River may have fixed the closed roof leak problem, as the foam seal is very thick and compresses down about 1/4" or more. I'll post pics when I get the chance.


2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer w/ Tow Package
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 58
Congratulations!!! I haven't seen that issue with our 2016 - I'll try to remember to watch that this Friday when we prep for weekend trip.
__________________

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Seminole, Fl
Posts: 31
Love the Bistro table. We took out the large table and are using the same side table that was meant to be used outside beside the grill. It suits us.
__________________
FLGrandCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGrandCampers View Post
Love the Bistro table. We took out the large table and are using the same side table that was meant to be used outside beside the grill. It suits us.
Awesome! That big table was just too big. Glad you found something to work for you!
__________________

__________________

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.