Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
RV shopping

Talk me into a A122SXR

I've been shopping for our first trailer for months. I've really honed in onto the A122SXR and need a shove the right (or wrong) direction.

-I'm towing with a lifted '15 Wrangler 4 door (JKU) with 4.10 gears. Already have the 7 pin and T3 brake controller installed.

-I'll be camping with my boys who are turning 4 and 6. Wifey will come along in a year when she's back from deployment.

-We're currently tent or hotel camping, so this will be an interesting upgrade. Heat/AC/microwave will be nice

-I'm worried about not having a real bathroom- although I think I can wash the kids with the outdoor hot water, right? and porta potty for the midnight kid pee-pee?

-We looked at Rpods, which fit the bill, but I think will be too much for the jeep. Casita's were cool, but upper bunk not good for a small kid (no ladder, no rail, really tight to ceiling).

So.... who's camping with 2 kids in an a-frame and can you recommend it? Any buyer's remorse?
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

From what I can see the SXR is a lifted version of the S with 500lbs more capacity and GVWR from bigger tires. Is your Wrangler rated to pull 3800lbs, with a tongue weight approaching or above 500lbs? The S version will tow quite well behind most 3500lb rated vehicles.

We have the straight A122. All the other models were 2ft longer because of the extra storage, and would not fit in our previous garage. Outdoor storage in Colorado is not something I would want to do because of the windows, UV at our residential altitude, winds, and hail storms.

Sleeping for 3 adults is good, 4 is going to be a little tight - especially as the boys grow. It does mean the dinette has to be converted to a bed at night, and seating space during the day. However, the boys can be moved into a tent at a later date, and you can use an EZ-up over the picnic table for outside seating.

We don't use the porta-potty - we use campground facilities instead. And the only thing we use the outside shower for is an easy source of hot water to use at the picnic table for washing and rinsing dishes.

To be honest, if we were camping with 2+ kids, I'd look more at the traditional pop-ups. They have a lot more interior space, and are more open to the outdoors. Once set up, the beds are beds and not used for anything else. The trade-off is increased set-up and take-down time. But the quick set-up and take-down of the A-frame lends itself to 2 or 3 day weekend trips - which is about all we get to do at this point in our lives.

Your question about 2+2 in an A-frame was asked in a previous thread. I don't think the answers will change much.

just my thoughts and our camping style
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

We looked at A frames before we decided on a pop up. We don't regret our decision. Have a 228Bh with shower and potty. Yes we use both, not hard to clean and dump. If it were just the 2 adults we may have gone with an A frame but with shower and potty. Nice not have ing to use the CG facilities. You get what works best for your family, and what you will be happy with. Happy camping!!
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
194'er

I'm with pgandw. I have the 194A, my A sleeps two, but I have a shower and flushing toilet in mine. It's something I had to get if my wife was to be on board. Best decision I've made, not having to find shoes and a flashlight for midnight runs is invaluable to me now. I think a traditional pop up would serve you better, imo. If you are set on a A frame go with one that has s dormer, they sleep four and have s bathroom, however more money and weight. It's not really the overall weight of the A your looking at , I would be more concerned with the bumper weight, as jeeps are know for soft suspension for off-road , at least this was the case with my 2008 wrangler. No way would I pull my 194 A frame with my old jeep.

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

I used to have a popup and switched to the A frame because the popup was just too much work and too hard for me to set up if my husband wasn't traveling with us. The A frame is SO MUCH easier and faster to set up. I use the A frame a lot to take my kids, aged 11 and 8, to sports tournaments. The A frame is perfect and plenty of room for my kids and I. We leave the dinette set up as a bed and usually just eat outside on campground picnic table or a REI travel table we have. We feel much safer in the A frame too since its hard-sided (we're in Montana which is bear country). If not at a campground, we use porta potty in camper or set up in one of those shower tents. Use the outside shower with the shower tent as well. We use the AC a lot in the summer. We love our A frame!

Jody S
2014 Rockwood A122BH
2008 Toyota Tacoma
bozemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Check the Coachmen 17BH...have one and love it! Potty and shower, great storage for a small TT, bunks and a double bed. No need to take the dinette down to sleep. Didn't come with a ladder, but I bought one from my dealer for just over $50. This was our step up from a pop up which was way too much work, especially when it rained. Nice to drive it in and plug it in, LOL. We basically sleep in it, do all cooking, etc. outside.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

PS - It is, however, a disease...already checking out our next upgrade.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

You're doing well by asking questions. There's several families with A-Frames. If you are used to tent camping, then the bathroom/shower concern should prove to be that much of an issue. I'd get what you feel your tow rig can safely haul. Stay within its capacities.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

A test tow would be of benefit before buying,

with about 2,700 pounds, to see what kind of gas mileage that 4.10 will yield.

Some long mountain hills might...
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

I tow a slightly larger 212hw with a Ford Ranger. Towing wise I think you'll be ok, but check your manual. All loaded and ready, I'm still just about 3000 lbs, so even the big one is pretty light.

My beds are bigger, but only slightly. I spent a week in mine with my wife and two preteen boys, with plenty of room. We were tent campers, so this is a move up for us. When the weather is nice, and the chance for bears is low, the boys pop up a tent next to the camper so we dont have to tear down the dinette.

Again, being tent campers, not having a bathroom was not a deal breaker. We make do (do? ) the old fashioned way, and have no issues there.

I have actually slept 6 in mine once, that was a bit tight, but anything is manageable if you want it to be.

Traditional pop ups do have more room, there is no getting around that. For me the easier, faster setup, better privacy, and insulating values of actual walls pushed me away from pop ups.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

There is some pretty good advice above. What I can add is,

Fully understand the GCVWR of the Jeep and the true weights of the loaded camper. I couldn't be sure of the tow rating for your TV. Edmunds shows 3500 lbs for the Unlimited with 1000lbs in payload.

My 122S weighs 2800 lbs, filled with water and loaded for one to camp. The tongue weight is 480 Lbs, so it is very hard on the TV rear end. Your's will probably weight more since it is heavier to start with and have gear for four.

That tongue weight gets subtracted from TV payload when loading the gear inside. Thankfully the A122S has a good amount of storage space while on the road. Tongue weight adds more than its number to the rear axle, taking the addition from the front. Most jeeps I've been in have a softer, long travel, off road suspensions, you will probably need a weight distributing hitch to have a safe ride.

Consider the tow capacity vs the road terrain where you will normally be camping and where you would like to go. You camp for fun, and it is no fun driving a overburdened vehicle that is difficult to get up to highway speed going up an onramp, on a regular basis.

If you are comfortable with this, then go for it.

An A122S will not comfortably sleep 4 adults. The front dinette sleeps two relatively young children. So if you're family is OK with that, it won't be a problem.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122