Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Talk me into/out of an A-Frame

My wife and I started camping in 2010 with a very nice FR PUP. I think it was a 227 - 14 foot box, king on one end, queen on the other. Plenty of space, but a hassle to set up and take down - especially if it rained.

We then upgraded to a V-lite 21WRS. Perfect camper in every way for the two of us, but a pain to tow and maintain.

Fast forward to last year, we build our dream home in an area that does not allow storage of campers outside of your house. We sold our V-lite and have very much missed camping the last year.

We had looked at the A-Frames when they first came out, but the full size bed was a deal killer. We now notice there are two models with actual queen size beds. Videos show set up/takedown to be a piece of cake. And we can keep this in a garage.

Other than lack of floors space, any other downsides we need to consider?

Thanks!
Jack
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post

We had looked at the A-Frames when they first came out, but the full size bed was a deal killer. We now notice there are two models with actual queen size beds. Videos show set up/takedown to be a piece of cake. And we can keep this in a garage.

Other than lack of floors space, any other downsides we need to consider?

Thanks!
Jack
Hi Jack,

We have been keeping our eyes on the A-Liners since they first came about. And like you we were also Pop Up Camper people ( 94' StarCraft Starflyte and 09' 1940LTD Rockwood Freedom ) before we got the HTT. The A-Liners appealed to us because of the ease of set up and break down, but lacked on interior space all around, especially for taller people.

I have not seen the new ones personally ( A-Liner Expeditions ) with the larger beds but am now looking forward to our next local Rv Show. We traded our Pop Up for our current HTT based on less setup and teardown as well, but still miss the pop up days. Although the HTT still gives us the Pop Up airy feeling, it was nice trade off. A HW or A-Liner is not out of the question for our future either. Have you checked into the HW series?

The best trade off I have found between the Pop Ups and TT's are that you can enter them without the need to set them up. This is definitely a huge plus! And I can have ours closed up in as little as 10 minutes, if need be. ( Owning prior pop ups do pay off for us new HTT owners and having mastered the proficiency and speed to battle those unexpected downpours....sometimes! )

As you already know, the setup of an A-Liner would be a snap and the maintenance would be pretty much the same as you were used to with your Pop Up. IMO, I say go for it! It gets you back out there enjoying what you enjoy, and also on a smaller scale to be able to store it at your home. A win-win!
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #3

Lack of space and access is a consideration all the way around. The bed can only be accessed form one side, so the sleeper in the rear have to crawl over the other to get out. Storage is a very limited and access to cabinets is something of a pain. Although with the high wall you are looking at, this is not as much of a problem.

So if you are prepared for the more cramped quarters, an FR A-Frame is a great choice for two campers. They tow well and the maintenance and upkeep is not bad.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

We have only had ours a month, but it's wonderful. I know they make a couple models that fit in garages, but make sure a queen size is in those models. Set up and take down is truly as fast and easy as the videos look! For sure find a dealer by you and go look at them, that's part of the fun😀. The people on this forum are amazing and I'm sure you'll get lots more information and opinions!!

ThePoms
Rockwood
2016 A212HW
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Happy Keystone Owner

Are Hi-Lo's still being made?

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

We had not had our for 2 years yet but have done 25 National parks and have about 100 night in it. The 3 highest dislikes are, no shower inside, having to climb over someone to get out of bed and low counter tops. If buying again we would get the high wall "A"frame. (counter tops higher) We would still not get shower and would still have to climb over someone getting out of bed.
For us the "A" Frame meets our needs. We do a lot of off season camping and off grid camping. We like to be able to heat the space quickly. Quick set up and small size so any camping site will work.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

In my observation, The key to enjoying an A-Frame is having good organization and storage systems for the various items you will keep inside or onboard the trailer.

It's surprising how much usable space there is once you realize you make use of vertical space. Jist because it's small doesn't mean the space can't be made homey. Your experience owning a tent trailer or the conventional travel trailer will make the transition to an A-Frame easier than those who have never owned an RV.

I'd say check out all the brands to see which floor plan suits you as well as which model is best suited for your tow vehicle. A-Frame brands are Aliner, Chalet, Starcraft, Jayco and of course Forest River with their Flagstaff, Rockwood and Coachmen brands.

Our Flagstaff A-Frame is by far my favorite rv we've owned. I like seeing over and around it when towing, it's fast set up/takedown, hard sided walls and has all amenities I'd need when traveling.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Site Team

I've been in A frames and owned popups and a HTT.
personally I don't like the lack of headroom of an A frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Site Team

I was surprised how easy hitting my head was being I'm a short gal. The problem was with the slanted wall by the dining table.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

That's one thing neither my 6'2"+ spouse or myself @ 5'4" have ever had @an issue with. The two bubble windows over the dining area allows for someone as tall as my spouse to sit comfortably without crouching or slouching down. He can move around the interior at full height, cook with no problem. He can relax on the sofa on the opposite end easily because of the expansive bubble window there. His only comment about his height in the A-Frame is how low the counter is to his height. ...but head bumping is not an issue. Lol

I will say in the first few trips it was a depth perception issue of knowing the height of those bubble windows to get past the thought that you'd hit your head - they are tall/deep enough that it just won't happen.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 06-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
Site Team

I'm 5'2 and hit my head twice. However, it was one of the smaller Aliner units (not an FR A-frame unit). One of the hits was my own doing due to not thinking while leaning to see out the window. I didn't have any problems with head space when I finally saw a FR camper.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #12

One of my favorite things about the Aframes are they are highly customizable to individual taste. Mine has been a work in progress for 15 months. Can't do that with a box trailer.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
His only comment about his height in the A-Frame is how low the counter is to his height. ...but head bumping is not an issue.
I am 6'2" and agree with this. Head room is not an issue for me. When I do use my table, say during the rain, the bench seats have plenty of room for two with no head problems. When standing up from the rear bed, the head clearance is quite comfortable. Among the reasons I went with a FR A Frame was the head room and length of the bed compared to small travel trailers and other brands of A Frames.

There is a women's group I camp with occasionally in which many of the members prefer Casita's. They are great small trailers with bathrooms, but have low ceilings and beds in which I would be forced to sleep diagonally. And I could not store one at home because the roof top AC could not be screened from viewing on the street.

I would say an A Frame is not a home on wheels, like many fixed wall campers are, but are a great way to get out doors while taking some of those comforts of home with you.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #14

I've had my Aframe about 1 1/2 years now. The things I wanted when I bought mine was: (1) Easy to set up and take down especially in rain (2) Didn't have to set it back up once home if I took it down in rain to let it dry (3) I could pull it with my Durango

It meets all of these. I'm 5'7" and have never ever even been close to bumping my head on the walls when sitting around the table.

When my wife and I camp we spend most of the time outdoors...otherwise why go camping...just stay at home was the way we looked at it.

We have plenty of storage space for what we carry. We're not living in it...we're camping.

For us it's perfect. Others may have a different view of camping and what they need.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #15

Guys, great input as I have expected to come from members of this board. I guess we need to go to PECO and look in person. Will report back what we find!

Thanks,
Jack
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Are Hi-Lo's still being made?
Hi-Lo's are no longer made, but Trailmanor is starting production on a similar product (Rise), along with producing their traditional "clam shell" folding campers. WE had a Trailmanor 2720 before we got our present Surveyor, and they make great campers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
Guys, great input as I have expected to come from members of this board. I guess we need to go to PECO and look in person. Will report back what we find!
Peco is no longer Peco although the name is the same. Campers Inn bought them in January. It is not the same dealer it was under the Adam's family.

We bought a T21QBHW from them in December. While my wife and I bought liked it our travel plans changed and we traded it in on a Sunseeker 2400W MBS. If you are interested in a T21 give Three Way Campers a call as our T21 is sitting there and it is in excellent condition. You can read about the mods I did in this forum. It also has the second year warranty from FR which I think is transferable.

EDIT: If you are interested in our old camper PM me your phone number and I'll be glad to answer any questions on it.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #18

One thing about A-Frames that has concerned me (and why I decided to go with a pop-up) is lack of adequate ventilation. They just look like they'd be a hot box when dry-camping with no generator. I'd hate to feel like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. With the pop-up ventilation is great. Am I possibly missing something?
Forrest2514G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #19

Forrest, A-Frames aren't pretty, they are angular and ugly from the outside and with their awkward outline I think that is where many assumptions (head room, space, hot box) are made. I've not noticed the heat any different than the motorhome or trailer or tents we've owned and camped in. Anything enclosed is going to be hot. The A-Frame is far from a sweat box unless one fails to pull down the shades, open the windows or use the fans to draw out the heat. These trailers are extremely efficient and thanks to FR, come standard with amenities that are optional in other brands. LOL - The only thing you are missing is the actual experience of using one to discover it for yourself.

I use it in weather extremes (cold, rainy, windy or hot and just plain hot). It was high 90s on my trip a few weeks ago. I had no power. I just pulled the shades down and used the roof fan to pull out the warm air. Poor site placement, trailer was exposed to the sun with minimal shade from trees. I had my chairs and table on opposite side of trailer, using the trailer's bulky shape for shade. Haha I was very grateful for its tall shape then!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 06-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest2514G View Post
One thing about A-Frames that has concerned me (and why I decided to go with a pop-up) is lack of adequate ventilation. They just look like they'd be a hot box when dry-camping with no generator. I'd hate to feel like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. With the pop-up ventilation is great. Am I possibly missing something?
The fan on the roof is what you are missing. A Frames are a relativity low volume. My guess is the volume is about one third of a pop up with the beds and tenting out. Even in the full sun, running the fan on low will circulate enough for the air to turnover without the camper getting above the outside temperature. So the air really moves in from outside. And the insulated roof and walls keep the heating from the direct sun from radiating to the inside. Unlike the blazing hot tops to the tenting I remember from my PUP days, that were too hot to hold my hand on.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
a-frame, frame