Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Tarp Mod

Per request from dryflycaster. And welcome to the forum.

It's sunny out now, the calm before the storm as we await the rain-pocalypse in Houston tonight.

The PVC pipe is attached to the tarp by aluminum pop rivets through stainless fender washers. Its hard to see in the side photo, but the spreader pipe has insulation to act as padding so the pipe does not sit directly on the camper. It sits just in front of the roof fan.

Tarp Front
by b2220128, on Flickr

Tarp Side
by b2220128, on Flickr

Tarp Back
by b2220128, on Flickr

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

My main concern about the white cover is that it doesn't cool the roof as much as I'd hoped. The white is probably better than a dark tarp facing the sun, but it the roof is still hot to the touch in the afternoon. Maybe a dark layer underneath would provide enough shade. What I need is a point and read thermometer to measure the roof temp with various configurations.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

Good to know there's another from Houston area. We keep our AF in storage usually covered. But right now it's open. Hope y'all made through "Uncle Bills water works." Lol
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

The rain-pocalypse didn't slow me down. But I wish I'd had my kayak on the Guadeloupe river this weekend instead of a tube. We could have had a great white water experience rather than a short fast float.

I'd love to have a hard cover for my camper, but am unwilling to kick my TV out of the garage. So I am trying to "perfect" the tarp system.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Hi Tom
Do you think a silver tarp would reflect more sun than the white tarp? I would like to try this tarp mod on my A192HW A-frame.
Thanks,
Joe in NH
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Don't think it would reflect more, but it would provide more shading. That is, the silver tarp, itself, would probably get hotter than the white one. Rather than the white tarp which seems to let too much light and IR pass through. The trick to this, I think, is to keep the tarp off the roof and allow some air circulation to prevent heat buildup underneath. We've had so much afternoon rain since the major brunt of summer started about a month ago that I've not been able to tinker with this.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

Perhaps you can buy the swimming foam noodle from Homedepot or walmart ( kids use those) for under the tarp to help air circulation. These foam noodles tend to also have holes in the center for rope use to secure further?
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #8

I still have my Gizmo silver covers from the popup a few years ago and I have started using them to cover the window areas from the Florida sun.

Tags
modifications