Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

Terrific IKEA LED lights

Hamguy's wife here. Last season we installed these LED strip lights along the edges of the A-walls. We're getting ready for our first trip of the season and I just turned them on this evening to check them out. What a terrific addition-nice diffuse light, much more pleasant than the overheads and good enough to read by, and they're 12-volt so very efficient. I know we've mentioned these before but thought forum members might appreciate the link again, so here it is: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

FYI, Lee posted pictures last year on this forum so if you're interested you should be able to find them on the forum sometime last fall.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Hello Mrs. Hamguy! I remember seeing those pictures when cruising the forum and they look great! Thank you very much for the link. We really want to do this mod and the price looks right. Hope "y'all" have a great first trip this week.

LM

loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

I went to the Ikea site and it appears that the lights operate on an
110 ac power supply.
When you mentioned operating them off 12VDC am I right to assume
you did not use the power supply provided, and wired them
direct to the RV 12VDC supply.

Gary
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

NOTE THE CORRECTED LINK AT THE END OF THIS MESSAGE

Yes. The light strips each have small plus and minus signs so determining polarity wasn't a problem. I snipped the output cords off the transformers and used them, with their mating connectors, as the supply cords, which I connected to the trailer's 12v system through the small inline switches supplied. You can connect all the strips in a set together end to end, which gives about a 4' light bar. We put a bar on each A-wall edge using the small mounting clips supplied with the sets. You get a recessed light effect with them mounted there.

My wife didn't mention that we bought four of these sets, one for each corner of the trailer. So we have a fair amount invested, but we do find the lighting quite agreeable. We were originally going to do only two adjacent corners but went whole-hog once we saw the ambience they create. Having all four sets on at once uses quite a bit less current than having just one of the ceiling fixtures on. Then we got a little wild and put LED bulbs in those too. I hope we're done with relamping now...

LATER... NOTICE! When she posted the link, it was the wrong one. Here's the correct link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192073/. (I tried to go in and edit the original post but it wouldn't give me an edit button). This link points to the more reasonably-priced three light set, which is what we got. Sorry 'bout that.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

Thanks, there are some great ideas in this forum. We just bought a FR AFrame and look forward to having as much fun as possible for two old giezers like us can still have. Any storage tips?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
Drinkin beer on the beach

I bought a set of those for my new kitchen cabinets at home, but I couldn't get myself to drill through all my new cabinets.

I will say this, they are BRIGHT. Freakishly bright in my little kitchen. And, the transformer turns the 120VAC into 12VDC so you should be able to direct wire them to any DC switch in the trailer.

And, you can plug them all into one long strip and eliminate a lot of the wiring. I pulled my unused set off the top of my kitchen cabinets and we'll probably install them on top of some of the overhead cabinets in the trailer... maybe. I want to put them outside for use around the campfire, but i don't think they'll fair well in wet conditions. Although, the though had occured to me to slide the whole set of lights into some slightly larger clear tubing from Home Depot. Should be easy enough to seal both ends with some caulking and hang with some regular hose/pipe mounting clamps...

lol, just saw you posted a second link... I have the ones from the first link. They do like 5 different colors, and even rotate colors. I like the red. You know, for... mood lighting... er wait, um because the graphics on the trailer are red. Yeah, thats it.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote