Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Texas State Parks

First trip to Lake Tawakoni just 50 miles outside Dallas know for its fishing but it also has some nice easy hiking/walking trails. Temp dropped down to the low 40's high 30's. Hooked to shore power the furance keep the AFrame at 73 having to come on about once an hour for 5 to 6 minutes. First time using the heated matress and that worked great set it to max a couple of hours before turning in and then turned to down to 3. With the furance set to 68 made for perfect sleeping temp. The only complaint very minor was how loud the furance blower was first couple times it came on it wake me, the dogs had a problem with it. Good news the A frame is big enough for two adults and two 50-70 pound dogs to spend the night in without any major and only a couple minor problems.
Set up ready to start hiking

View out the window of the AFrame
Jack enjoying the fire

Lucky and Jack cooling after a long day

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Nice RenFaire. We were at Tawakoni just a few weeks ago, at the Thousand Trails. The lake is still pretty low from the drought. I was kinda surprised. But still as I remember it many years ago.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Try using a Ceramic Heater for heat when shore power is avaiable. A whole lot less noise and they do a good job of heating the camper up to a comforable temperture.
Real nice pics.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

Noise was a minor issue once I got use to it after a couple hours it didn't wake me. I think the smell was the real issue with the dogs. I might look into a Ceramic Heater if I can find one I think is safe enough with two dogs sharing the space.

EdJunior Yes we marked how low the lake still is but on the plus side we were able to walk from Whiote Deer to the swimming area all along the shore.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #5

Good to hear your outing was fun. Looks like the park is a great place to camp and your unit is nice.

Out in west Texas, lake Colorado City, the park has very few trees and the lake is 22 plus feet low. Have a great year camping.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #6

The smell from the furnace/heater should go away after running continuous for awhile.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuffler View Post
The smell from the furnace/heater should go away after running continuous for awhile.
I couldn't smell anything but the dogs got restless everytime the furnace came on, figured it was the smell not the noise.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
Good to hear your outing was fun. Looks like the park is a great place to camp and your unit is nice.

Out in west Texas, lake Colorado City, the park has very few trees and the lake is 22 plus feet low. Have a great year camping.
We're planning on trying to visit as many of Texas state parks as possible over the next few years. We are starting with the ones in the north centeral part of the state.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

One of our favorite parks is Bonham - it's small, but the most 'park' like. We weekend camp out of Flower Mound so we've visited most of the state parks within 2 hours of DFW ourselves. Love your A-frame!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Rockwood Premier A126

Wonderful pics! I'm glad there are so many folks getting out, especially this time of year, and enjoying our state and National parks!

You could put a ceramic heater on the closed cook stove lid. Heat resistant surface and up away from the pups too. It may make the furnace run a little less often as well.

When we used the heat pump, we set the fan to on, so when it cycled for heat, it wasn't as annoying/noticeable. We haven't used the gas furnace yet, so I can't speak to that.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote