Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Thermostat Issue

Hey again- so glad to have this forum to get great help!

We are currently dry camping at about 5,000 feet outside of San Diego. It's a great campground, and we are lucky to only be an hour's drive from being in the woods.

It is a bit chilly at night- which is great, as we will be in Yosemite with the "Poptart" in January. We wanted to test out the furnace. The problem is that the furnace turns on, heats nicely, then turns off and doesn't come back on unless I physically turn it off, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on.

Has any experienced this or have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Justbryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Sure does sound like a thermostat issue to me as well.
Time for a new one I think.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

I am having the same problem with my front heat in my 2010 GT. I called a repair shop and was told it sounds like a switch on the t unit. I was thinking about switching the thermostats and see if that works, before I pack up everything (out camping) and drive into the shop. Let me know what you find out as I will do the same.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

We only have one more night, and won't freeze to death. Since I've only had the trailer since May, and this is only the second trip using the heater (did the same thing last weekend), I'll be contacting the dealer when we get back to see what they can o about it. I'm also definitely order the Buddy Heater as a back up!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbryguy
We only have one more night, and won't freeze to death. Since I've only had the trailer since May, and this is only the second trip using the heater (did the same thing last weekend), I'll be contacting the dealer when we get back to see what they can o about it. I'm also definitely order the Buddy Heater as a back up!
Do this test, after the furnace shuts off, wait a few minutes, increase the furnace temp by 5 degrees, wait a few minutes to see if it kicks in. I've observed from my last trip the furnace shuts off at the set temp and kicks in when the temp inside the trailer drops over 3 degrees.

Also the furnace in a cold night close to freezing uses up approx 2 volts of the battery. In my calculation my trailer battery will die after 2 nights if not recharged. And it uses close to a pound of propane gas.

If you are hooked up use the heat pump as a main source of heat or a space heater, save your propane for cooking.

Good Luck tonight
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777
Do this test, after the furnace shuts off, wait a few minutes, increase the furnace temp by 5 degrees, wait a few minutes to see if it kicks in. I've observed from my last trip the furnace shuts off at the set temp and kicks in when the temp inside the trailer drops over 3 degrees.

Also the furnace in a cold night close to freezing uses up approx 2 volts of the battery. In my calculation my trailer battery will die after 2 nights if not recharged. And it uses close to a pound of propane gas.

If you are hooked up use the heat pump as a main source of heat or a space heater, save your propane for cooking.

Good Luck tonight
Thanks ko777- good test, and I tried that last weekend and again last night with no success. I think it's a trip to the dealer for us.

On a side note, I'm in agreement with the battery usage- which was what we are really trying to test this weekend. I have a spare battery, and wanted to see how long we could run the heater just to keep the chill off. We use very little other 12v power. Maybe just an outside light for a few moments. Inside, I use halogen lights powered by a solar rechargeable battery (goalzero.com).

So a new question: where s the sensor for the thermostat located, anyway? I'm wondering if the location may have one thing to do with it. The Dog's bed goes under the table. I wonder if the little piglets are generating enough heat to throw it off if its located near the furnace itself.

Goalzero.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-666612481.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	20888   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1444323611.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	20889  
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Flagstaff 22FBS

I believe the sensor is located in the thermostat, just like the one in your home.

One word of caution, be sure that all the vents under the table aren't being blocked/obstructed by the pet bed (or anything else for that matter). The converter/fuse/breaker box has a fan and vent. In our unit, the converter is located along side of the furnace, under the bench seat.

btw, Cute pups!
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #8

I live in colorado and have been dealing with this same issue for the past 6 months! I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I have taken my camper (2012 t12bh with the digital thermostat) to the dealer about three times for this same problem. I have replaced the thermostat twice now. The first thermostat change was to a digital unit that didn't have a heat pump setting. My furnace seemed to work with that thermostat, but I swapped it out for a new unit that had the heat pump setting which now doesn't seem to work. On repeat visit to the dealer they told me that they had found some improper wiring comnections that they repaired. I was told that everything was working.

Last weekend was spent in 32 degree weather at 7000 feet with the heater once again not getting to temperature and refusing to cycle. The furnace will light, run for a few minutes then turn off. The only way to get it to cycles is to toggle to off for a few seconds then go back to furnace. I have tried reinitializing the thermostat. I have cleared the furnace of any obstructions, and am now about at my wits end. I am sick of driving to the dealer for this. I hope someone is able to figure this out. So far I think it has something to do with the thermostat. I am going to try to get the thermostat without the heatpump setting back since that is the only time my furnace has worked.
bouldercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #9

I'm not sure whether to be comforted that I'm not alone, or scared that its not going to be an easy fix! Thanks for sharing- mine (2012 A122bh) will be heading to the dealer next week to hopefully get repaired. We want to do a lot of desert camping this winter in addition to Yosemite, so having the furnace working is a must-have.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Mostly Harmless

I'm no furnace guru, but on a regular furnace those symptoms would make me suspect a bad or misadjusted high limit switch. That's a temperature-sensing switch that disables the furnace if the temp in the heat exchanger goes above a set point, like if the fan didn't come on, for example. Its purpose is to keep the house from burning down. I assume something like that has to be part of our camper furnaces too, and if it were defective (or, if adjustable, set too low) it would do as you've described--shut down the furnace. It wouldn't restart until the heat exchanger had cooled enough for the switch to reset. You might ask your dealer if they can check for such a switch and whether it's working right.

LATER: the piece of evidence that doesn't fit with my limit switch theory is that one thermostat you had DID work ok with the furnace. The limit switch is in the furnace, so if bad it would be bad regardless of thermostat. Maybe it's time for the dealer's service department to contact the furnace maker.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #11

WOW!!...leave the FR Forum for for a bit and come back to a new sub-forum just for A-framers......too cooool!!

JustBry, had the same thermostat issue this past weekend. Went to sleep toasty and woke up to some serious chill. I also had to switch to OFF and back to furnace to get it to cycle. I have the older style non-digital thermostat with the heat pump setting.
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Hmmm

Is fan set to auto?
Are you switching to OFF first before switching to Furnace?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #13

Try this, reinitialize the thermostat: From Dometic-

System Initialization
A system initialization will need to be performed by the installer after
the system is installed.
• Make sure the Single Zone LCD thermostat is in the Off condi
tion.
See page 4,
“Quick Reference To Control Buttons”.

• Press the “
+” button and, while holding it, also press and hold
the
On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show

― ― .
Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.

This completes the initialization.

Hope it works for you.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin
WOW!!...leave the FR Forum for for a bit and come back to a new sub-forum just for A-framers......too cooool!!
By the way, welcome back, LM! I hope you were doing something fun while you were away.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
By the way, welcome back, LM! I hope you were doing something fun while you were away.
Not a chance, Lee. We were able to do a few days around the 4th but other than that, it's been tough. I knew going in that my heavy camping would be in the Spring/Fall....just the way it sets up for us. I sure did miss alot while I was gone....lots of new A-frame owners!

Thanks for the kind words.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU
Try this, reinitialize the thermostat: From Dometic-

System Initialization
A system initialization will need to be performed by the installer after
the system is installed.
• Make sure the Single Zone LCD thermostat is in the Off condition.
See page 4, “Quick Reference To Control Buttons”.
• Press the “+” button and, while holding it, also press and hold
the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show
― ― . Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.
This completes the initialization.

Hope it works for you.
Great! I will try this! Might not happen this weekend...it's in the 80's here in San Diego this weekend. Might end up melting things trying to keep the heater going!