Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #21

Thank you cincia...I'll check them out tomorrow.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #22

Well, it's not glass but Amazon has a Camco 43554 stove cover for less than $50. Not as sexy but does the job. M

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Rockwood A212HW
2000 Ford F-250 7.3lt 2WD
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #23

I love the idea of a wooden cover over the stove. To tell the truth, the glass cover is completely useless. You cannot use it for anything other than a pretty thing that requires constant cleaning. With a wooden/cutting board cover I can use that space for other things.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Actually the stove with the worthless oven could be eliminated.
we didn't eliminate them, but don't use them for cooking or baking,.... DW uses only elect. gadgets for cooking(rice cooker, crock pot, griddle, hot plate., ect.), oven is for dishes,..... was able to remove propane tanks and the weight of two 30# tanks, full about 100#,.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5294.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	119362  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #25

Our Stove came with the "Mickey Mouse" Tin cover! I gave it a Decent Burial at Rocky Fork Lake,Ohio,in a Dumpster! Replaced with a Wood cutting board,if our next stove has a glass cover and we go to RF Lake,I will use the Same Dumpster! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a 003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	119363  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #26

Last trip (Colorado Springs to Waco, TX and back) we hit quite a few rough roads - construction season in Colorado, and just rough as well as construction in Texas and New Mexico. In any case, 2 of 6 of the plastic bolts holding the glass covers sheared the heads off. The glass was loose and flopping around when we got home. Luckily, ours did not shatter like the OP's did.

I couldn't find any 5/16" (what the originals were) very short bolts or screws. So I got stainless steel bolts with thick rubber washers to put on either side of the glass for the back hinges. I also used lock nuts on the bolts, so I wouldn't tighten real hard.

The speed nuts holding the top plate down were also stripped, as were some of the self-tapping screws holding the stove together. Put in machine screws and speed nuts where lock nuts would not fit, and put the whole thing back together.

As I was doing so, I noticed the Suburban warnings on the glass about using the glass as a flare-up back stop when using the stove. The glass, when folded back (it's 2 hinged pieces), is supposed to protect the A-frame side and window behind it. Interesting design.

Also noticed that the little rubber bumpers that support the glass when covering the stove were mostly torn or missing, and the glass had actually been bouncing and rubbing on the sheet steel. I replaced all the rubber bumpers with clear raised stick-on bumpers, and added plenty of extras (used the entire sheet). I think those bumpers are critical to protecting both the glass and the plastic hinge bolts. I probably should have replaced the bumpers sooner.

We'll learn more next trip.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip - Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Girl View Post
I didn't turn the knob all the way off and closed the top. Glass went EVERYWHERE. Thank heavens I was still inside so I used the fire extinguisher because it was burning close to the curtains. The extinguishers blue powder was a mess but saved the camper. Hard to believe the top is that expensive. We aren't replacing an oven..we only have the 3 burner in our model.
While I like the look of the wooden cover, please read how Mountain Girl shattered her glass cover. She didn't turn the knob all the way off. If she had placed a wooden cover over it the whole place would have gone up in flames. For her, wood is probably not the best choice.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burner, cover, replacement