Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Those places look amazing!

2012 Forest River 206ltd
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
thanks for this . i have bookmarked this 4 or 5 day stop over on our way down south this year ...

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Dallas Texas
Thanks for sharing the pics. I've added it to the list.

I can relate to your comment about the flat lands in Illinois. I spent 20 years in Burlington Iowa, across the river from Gulfport Ill. Work the farms in Manmouth, Roseville and Carthage areas. Great beef in Ia and Ill.
2004 Cardinal 33CKT
2006 Ford SDD F250 CC 4WD
TexasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Rockwood Premier A126
I'm glad you all are enjoying our pics. The rock formations and trails really are an unexpected experience.

Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
thanks for this . i have bookmarked this 4 or 5 day stop over on our way down south this year ...

These I've shown you are beautiful 1/4 to 1/2 mile hikes, that take 45 minutes or as long as you care to linger. They are located off Illinois 1 on the east side of Shawnee National Forest. We stayed at Cave in Rock State Park campground. Camp sites were nice but, although it had hot showers, the bath house was fair to mediocre. Next time we will stay at the campground at Ferne Clyffe State Park (located in the Y between I-24 and I-57) and hike Bell Smith Springs and that area. Many of the campgrounds are nice but have no electricity and Gary and I like our 30 amp.

Here is a link to some informative reading.
A hikers guide for the Shawnee National Forest

Deb & Gary
2007 Ford E150 cargo van, 2012 Rockwood Premier A126

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
phat phrog stunt crew
have always wanted to go to shawnee natl forest, but am unsure rv length /slide out restrictions. not worried about water, but 30 amps would be nice. info on ill dnr website is not the greatest, imo. when you check out mo. state campgrounds, they at least put up a pic of what your site will look like and tell you if any side restrictions, slope and how far to the bath house.

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote