Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Tire Blowout!!! "Rocko" threw a shoe!

Hi All,

We had a blowout this weekend while trailering our A-128s to our favorite campground.

We suffered no trailer damage and were able to swap the tire with the spare and complete the trip.

I have scoured the net and local resources and am struggling to find replacement tires.

"Rocko" came with Load Star ST175/80R13 Load Range "D" tires.
(I guess the tires have held up OK. They are just a tad over 3 years old.)

Any thoughts on alternative brands and sources. I live in Alabama and can order replacements. However, I will have to find someone to mount the replacement tires.

Some things I've discovered:
Walmart carries Goodyear Marathon's in the correct size but Load Range "C". Pep Boys doesn't list them. Sears carries Load Range "C". Firestone = nothing.

Wife is going to hit all the local folks up tomorrow.

Any thoughts on alternative brands and sources?
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Do a "search" on tires. Enough info to keep you busy for hours. Many different opinions. Glad you had no damage.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Do a "search" on tires. Enough info to keep you busy for hours. Many different opinions. Glad you had no damage.
Not all that many for that size and rated tire. Figured fellow aframers may have gone through this as well. Spent a couple hours reviewing options before I posted.

One thing for certain. Can't go camping until tires are fixed (except in the back yard)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

If you have room in the wheel wells to bump up to 14" or 15" tires and wheels, you'll have a much better selection of sizes and load ranges. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
If you have room in the wheel wells to bump up to 14" or 15" tires and wheels, you'll have a much better selection of sizes and load ranges. Good luck!
Thanks,

These little units have pretty aluminum wheels that I would hate to throw away.

As a followup to the thread: My "better half" has been working with the local vendors/tire stores. Based on that, I may have to order the tires and find someone willing to mount them for me. The few that can order the correct tires, charge more than double my estimates of me purchasing them and having them mounted.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

I only use Michelin made in USA or Canada. NO Chinese period.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

Please, feel free to follow through . . .

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...uts-89383.html
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Smile Tire Blowout!!! "Rocko" threw a shoe!

Don't forget to also have the new tires balanced when they are mounted on Rocko
LadyScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

I would also be sure that you replace your tires with D rated. Since you have a single axle that is probably why you have D vs C.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #10

According to my net research, GVWR of the 2012 A128s is 3,152 lbs. ST 175R13 Load Range D tires have a max load of 1,610 lbs at max inflation (3,220 for the 2 tires). Depending on how loaded you have the camper when trailering, there is a real possibility your blowout was caused by overload or under-inflation (which would cause the tire to be overloaded).

My 2014 A122 (no s, smaller box) has significantly less storage space and a smaller box. Yet the published empty and GVWR weights are very similar. It came standard with ST 185R13 Load Range D tires, which have an additional 100lbs per tire in carrying capacity.

Regardless of the cause of the blowout, you have no room to go down in tire load rating or size. And yes, there is a dearth of D rated trailer tires in the 13" sizes. I can only find Westlake (what my A122 came stock with) tires in the size I need. A trip to the scales would be worth knowing how close your are to overloading your tires on your next trip. If you are near 3,100 lbs, seriously consider investing in a larger tire size.

On the scales, I am generally towing at 2,760 lbs - but we pack very light, and I don't have the forward storage compartment or the extra floor space you have. So I have plenty of reserve capacity in my tires (just under 20%). I also religiously put my camper tires at max inflation plus 1-2 PSI, and add about 5 PSI to the minivan placard pressure at the beginning of each trip (I have an air compressor in the garage that makes this easy).

just my experiences and thoughts, your choices

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (small enough to easily fit in the garage)
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #11

A few comments:
I don't think that it is feasible to go up in size on my tires (without major alterations to the axle, etc.)
I think that Forest River "designed" us into Chinese tires based on specification.
Goodyear, Firestone, and Michelin don't appear to make this size.

Fred W - good information!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #12

We just changed our tires (used only on 1 trip) out for load E tires.
Too many horror stories read here. Better safe than sorry.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

13" is a tough size. If you can go to 14" wheels there are a few more choices, but if you are stuck with 13", your choices are few. You might have to got with Kenda Karriers from Northern Tool and have a local guy install them. The last time I did that is was $25 per tire for mounting, balancing, new metal valve stem, and disposal of the old tire.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #14

We had similar issues with Carlisle tires on a 2000 Rockwood Ultralite. I discovered that the tires were right at the limit, so any significant load would cause an overload issue. I went thru 2 full sets before I found a set of Carlisle tires with the proper load rating and had no more troubles. The tires on my new SolAire say "Made in China". First chance I get, they are going to be replaced with set of proper Carlisles. I don't even want to think about a super long trip without that change.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
Do It Yourselfer

FYI, In my search to upgrade my 14 "C"s to "D" load range there was only a couple of tire manufacturers still making "D"s for ST type tires. And the ones that did, dealers don't stock them.
I ended up going to 15" with "D" load range.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #16

I have had great results with Carlisle tires. My Carlisle's and a tpms system for peace of mind.
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #17

A quick close ... I ended up buying 2 new 13". "D" load range tires off eBay (good reviews). Local tire store mounted and balanced them for $30. Hopefully this gets me by for now. I appreciate all the comments!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
According to my net research, GVWR of the 2012 A128s is 3,152 lbs. ST 175R13 Load Range D tires have a max load of 1,610 lbs at max inflation (3,220 for the 2 tires). Depending on how loaded you have the camper when trailering, there is a real possibility your blowout was caused by overload or under-inflation (which would cause the tire to be overloaded).

My 2014 A122 (no s, smaller box) has significantly less storage space and a smaller box. Yet the published empty and GVWR weights are very similar. It came standard with ST 185R13 Load Range D tires, which have an additional 100lbs per tire in carrying capacity.

Regardless of the cause of the blowout, you have no room to go down in tire load rating or size. And yes, there is a dearth of D rated trailer tires in the 13" sizes. I can only find Westlake (what my A122 came stock with) tires in the size I need. A trip to the scales would be worth knowing how close your are to overloading your tires on your next trip. If you are near 3,100 lbs, seriously consider investing in a larger tire size.

On the scales, I am generally towing at 2,760 lbs - but we pack very light, and I don't have the forward storage compartment or the extra floor space you have. So I have plenty of reserve capacity in my tires (just under 20%). I also religiously put my camper tires at max inflation plus 1-2 PSI, and add about 5 PSI to the minivan placard pressure at the beginning of each trip (I have an air compressor in the garage that makes this easy).

just my experiences and thoughts, your choices

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (small enough to easily fit in the garage)
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

Don't forget to subtract the tongue weight. For example if the max trailer weight is 3152; and (example) trailer tongue weight is 250 the tires only need to support 2902. So, if your tires are good for 3220 max, then you have a 318 lb safety factor. Again that was an example/

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
Hi All,

We had a blowout this weekend while trailering our A-128s to our favorite campground.

We suffered no trailer damage and were able to swap the tire with the spare and complete the trip.

I have scoured the net and local resources and am struggling to find replacement tires.

"Rocko" came with Load Star ST175/80R13 Load Range "D" tires.
(I guess the tires have held up OK. They are just a tad over 3 years old.)

Any thoughts on alternative brands and sources. I live in Alabama and can order replacements. However, I will have to find someone to mount the replacement tires.

Some things I've discovered:
Walmart carries Goodyear Marathon's in the correct size but Load Range "C". Pep Boys doesn't list them. Sears carries Load Range "C". Firestone = nothing.

Wife is going to hit all the local folks up tomorrow.

Any thoughts on alternative brands and sources?
Amazon has them in 185 will that work? 2 New Trailer Tires ST 185/80R13 8PR Load Range D - 11003
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post
Same tires and company that I bought from on eBay. :-)

Tags
tire