Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

tire pressure

Hubby would like me to ask other Rockwood A frame owners what tire pressure you are running in warm weather. The numbers on the tires are for cold weather. We will be traveling farther this weekend, and don't want to see these great Chinese tires blow up. Hope you all have a good week end.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Hubby would like me to ask other Rockwood A frame owners what tire pressure you are running in warm weather. The numbers on the tires are for cold weather. We will be traveling farther this weekend, and don't want to see these great Chinese tires blow up. Hope you all have a good week end.
Makes no difference the trailer, set them at max cold pressure and go. Check in the mornings before the sun hits them and keep them at max cold pressure and don't bleed them out during the day. They will hold the added pressure of running quite easily, they're built for it.

The writing on the tires is pressure when the tire is at ambient temp, not cold weather.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cold pressure label on the side of the tire means, CHECK IT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT DOWN THE ROAD. Has nothing to do with summer, winter, climate, or anything else. It just means check before moving. Yes, tires get hotter as they roll down the highway, and pressure changes when they do. They are made to do this. Just do as suggested in post #2, check them early in the morning, and go with it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Hubby says thanks for the help
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Marshmallow Expert

I have to say thanks too. This is the most straight forward answer I have seen for PSI (and just plain makes sense). Other threads are a bit confusing saying "it depends on how much your trailer weighs", but there is no formula that I have seen that says if your trailer weighs x lbs, use y PSI for z rated tires. If somebody has one, please post it as it would be interesting to see.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Rick View Post
I have to say thanks too. This is the most straight forward answer I have seen for PSI (and just plain makes sense). Other threads are a bit confusing saying "it depends on how much your trailer weighs", but there is no formula that I have seen that says if your trailer weighs x lbs, use y PSI for z rated tires. If somebody has one, please post it as it would be interesting to see.
Well, not really. The question was interpreted as "when do you check the tire pressure" not "what pressure you should be checking FOR."

If you are running the max on the tire as your desired pressure; check it first thing in the morning at "ambient temperature."

If you used a calculated pressure from the charts based on your weight; check it first thing in the morning at "ambient temperature."

The "formula" is complex so the tire manufacturers publish a chart (like this one from Maxxis) to make it easy for guys like me to figure out what pressure I should use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf maxxis 8008load.pdf (142.2 KB, 40 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The "formula" is complex so the tire manufacturers publish a chart (like this one from Maxxis) to make it easy for guys like me to figure out what pressure I should use.
This from a guy who spent a career calculating weight and balance figures on heavy-duty freighter aircraft!

Yea.... sure.... wink, wink, nod nod....

"I've got some beachfront property in Arizona,
From my front porch you can see the sea...."

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #8

I and DW just returned from a two week vacation at the Grand Canyon and Arches NP. The temps where unbearable, over a 100 degrees almost every day. I kept my tires on the camper at 65 psi for 3,000 plus miles driving on average of 65-70 mph. Not one bit of trouble from my "Chinese Bombs". I believe if you take care of the tires they should last for a few years but everyones driving habits are differant and that will effect the life of the tire also, just MHO.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Hey backpacker! Bet you had a great time. Any trip logs to be posted?

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote