Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Tired of Discount Tires

A rant!

Driving to camp on the Saturday before last I was about to leave from the gas station and while doing the safety walkaround I noticed a bubble on a tire sidewall. Grrr, as I didn't allow the time needed time to change a tire in my planning. But change I did and a text message made sure others new I was on the way.

So Monday of last week, I take the tire and wheel to Discount Tire, where I am assured the exact match tire will be ready the next day. Tuesday afternoon, no call has come in so I call them only to be put on an indefinite hold that lasts beyond the time I have to get by the shop and still attend to my other duties that evening.

Wednesday, I go by and they have put a bias ply load range C tire on the wheel. The definition of unsafe at any speed for a FR A Frame. So I refused the tire and DT assures me it was a shipping error from the supplier. Which if true means nobody checks to see that the tires ordered are the tires delivered. A very bad business practice that they have inadvertently confessed to. I think the guy was simply lying to cover a mistake in ordering the tire. Which may or may not be better.

So I am in Dallas for a long weekend. Go Stars! Texas/OU, meh!

No call over the weekend from DT. I call this morning, Monday, and the tire is "ready." I ask the guy to read the code and load range to me and it is of course the same as the tire I refused. I explain my dissatisfaction with DT to the poor new guy, using rather simple words. I tried to do this with my ire pointed at the company, not him.

But DT twice attempting to deliver an unsafe tire to a customer is just incompetence. If I hadn't known more than DT about this it would have meant blowout on the road. He deflects my request to return the old tire and wheel with by volunteering that the performance was unacceptable and a promise that DT will make it right today. He seemed sincere in his desire to help.

As today's part of the saga unfolded, he called to ask me, "what was that tire size again?" I refer him to the tire that was taken off, as I do not give specs to vendors from memory, and am told that it is probably gone. There goes fixing it today.

Anyway, a critical review on yelp and google is forthcoming, for what that may be worth beyond making me feel better for having another place to vent besides here. The only question is how low a rating, depending on how this ends.

Thanks to other here, I knew to look on ETrailer and am ready to order this afternoon once I double check the size. My local trailer shop can install it. Click and ship seems likely to beat brick and mortar again.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Wednesday, I go by and they have put a bias ply load range C tire on the wheel. The definition of unsafe at any speed for a FR A Frame.

But DT twice attempting to deliver an unsafe tire to a customer is just incompetence. If I hadn't know more than DT about this it would have meant blowout on the road.
Howdy Pooneil, I'm not really understanding these comments here. Are you trying to say a bias tire cannot be used on your trailer....or a Load Range C tire maybe?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Howdy Pooneil, I'm not really understanding these comments here. Are you trying to say a bias tire cannot be used on your trailer....or a Load Range C tire maybe?
I suppose bias plys could be used if one were to replace all three tires at once and if one were willing to add a lot of bounce that degraded the camper ride. But putting a bias one side with a radial on the other would be trouble. Load range C is not sufficient for the GVWR of the camper.

To finish the rant. DT has now said they cannot get tires I need. So it's off to etrailer who has a link to order them.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

I knew DT did not list any 13 load range "D" on their web site, but with tire in hand you would think they would get the right tire. So what are they going to give you for the old tire? That they do not have any more.
If it helps the tires size on my A-frame is ST175/80R13 LR D.
I need to replace 2 on my trailer ( wore them out) so I guess I will just order from etrailer. And get them mounted.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
I knew DT did not list any 13 load range "D" on their web site.
When doing a google search for ST175/80R13 LR D, they show up in the paid ads, so they clearly want to address the market. I prefer dealing with local stores when I can so I gave them a try.

After reading others stories here, I was expecting a "Sorry, cant' help you" when I walked in. It turns out they can't help after all.

I haven't thought about what they might give me for the damaged tire if they did toss it. It is useless to me and they might as well dispose of it properly instead of me having to toss it in the trash. It's a shame because the tread was great.

My bad reviews are done so its time to move on, buy the right tire and get back to camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

I bought all of my trailer tires from DT. I gave them the spec and they had them in stock and they mounted and balanced them. The local store treats me very well, but they do get knucklehead kids in there who mess things up. One put one tire on backwards. I made him do it over and his supervisor gave him a good butt chewing. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, but, I'm a bit anal about those things.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
One put one tire on backwards. I made him do it over and his supervisor gave him a good butt chewing. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, but, I'm a bit anal about those things.
Are you saying he mounted a trailer tire backwards on the wheel? or something else?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Wasn/t there a tread a while back about tires with a 'v' design tread?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Are you saying he mounted a trailer tire backwards on the wheel? or something else?
The tire was mounted on the rim backwards (lettering toward the trailer rather than toward the outside). I remember truck tires that had white lettering on one side and black lettering on the other. The tire guy would always ask if you wanted black out or white out. So, it doesn't really matter how it is mounted on the rim, it still does the job.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
So, it doesn't really matter how it is mounted on the rim, it still does the job.
The date code is required by law to be mounted to the outside so it is visible.

Unless there is a date code on both sides, the shop can't legally mount it "backwards".

Since we're on the subject of sidewall markings, a quiz:

What do the colored circles on the sidewalls mean?

Does your tire shop pay any attention to them?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Uhh, there may be a little confusion here.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Had to find my link to the regulations:

The full DOT code (with date) only has to be on one side. This side is supposed to be the "intended" outboard sidewall, but by no means is an absolute. There is no law that states the tire has to be mounted with the "intended" outboard sidewall for sure facing outwards.

Here is the link to the long regs, that is interesting reading for some people. it explains they way tire molds are made and why the full DOT code with date is not practical to be put on both sidewalls. It also give a lot of the history that went into the decision making for the way things are the way they are now:

Here is the link:

Tire Safety Information, Final Rule.

and here is an excerpt:

VII. Agency Decision regarding Final Rule
  • A. Summary of Final Rule and Rationale
The final rule establishes a single standard for light vehicle tires, FMVSS No. 139, New PneumaticRadial Tires for Light Vehicles.�The final rule contains labeling requirements that address the following aspects of tire and vehicle labeling: tire markings, the Tire Identification Number (TIN), vehicle placard content and format, placard location, and owner�s manual information.�NHTSA will also be establishing upgraded safety performance requirements for tires in a forthcoming final rule, which would also be included in the new standard.

The rule applies to all new and retreaded tires for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses and trailers with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) or less, manufactured after 1975, and to all passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses and trailers with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) or less. [4]� The requirements are summarized below.

NHTSA has decided that the size designation, maximum permissible inflation pressure, and maximum load rating must be placed on both sides of light vehicle tires.�The full TIN will be required on the "intended outboard side" of the tire and either the full TIN or a partial TIN, containing all aspects of the TIN except for the date code, will be required on the opposite side." "Intended outboard sidewall" is defined in FMVSS No. 139 as the sidewall that contains a whitewall, bears white lettering, or bears manufacturer or model name molding that is higher or deeper than that on the other sidewall of the tire.�If a tire does not have an intended outboard sidewall, the tire must be labeled with the full TIN on one sidewall and with either the full TIN or a partial TIN on the other sidewall.�Requiring that a form of the TIN, whether the full or partial TIN, be on both sides will ensure that important consumer information will be on the outward facing sidewall, regardless of how the tire is mounted.�Requiring that the other items of information be on both sidewalls will aid consumers in properly maintaining their tires and loading their vehicles.

NHTSA is making another change to the TIN.�The rule requires that each character in the TIN be 6 mm (1/4") high.�The agency believes that a requirement for a uniform TIN font size will significantly improve the readability of the TIN.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Uhh, there may be a little confusion here.
Yeah, I spent a few years in the tire business.

Was a service manager for Firestone tire and rubber. Also worked at Discount Tire. Never heard that the date codes had to face out.

90% of the time they are inboard.

I could see a tire being mounted backwards if it were a uni directional tire, but I have never seen one of those on a trailer, only on performance cars.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #14

I've been a DT customer for years and have never received anything but excellent service from them.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

Unless there is a date code on both sides, the shop can't legally mount it "backwards".

Since we're on the subject of sidewall markings, a quiz:

What do the colored circles on the sidewalls mean?

Does your tire shop pay any attention to them?

Pop
On Goodyear slicks the (dot) goes to the right if your behind the car.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I've been a DT customer for years and have never received anything but excellent service from them.
The Weatherford DT store is a great place to do business. The manager is very honest and a really nice guy.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #17

After having a blow out on a Load Star tire with less than 8000 miles on it I went to Discount Tire and ask for 4 new American made tires to which they said no problem. We'll get Goodyear Marathons made in the good ole USA. 2 months later while winterizing I notice the Goodyears were made in China! Boy was I POd. I sent an email to the store that I got the tires from and to corporate DT. Within an hour I had emails back from both of them apologizing and asking what they could do to make it right. I said I wanted Michelin tires but I couldn't get it in until spring. They said no problem. The next April they put on the tires I ask for and only charged me the difference. Of course they pointed out that the set of Michelins I got were made in the UK.
All in all I'm happy with Discount Tire.
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #18
RetiredRVer

Springerpop; I believe the colored dot is to be lined up with the tire valve in order to achieve better tire balancing.
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Wasn/t there a tread a while back about tires with a 'v' design tread?
They weren't actually V-tread and are not directional tires:

Vail Sport Radial Tire

Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #20
Left Coast

Quote:
They weren't actually V-tread and are not directional tires:

Vail Sport Radial Tire
OK....Is post about 'dot' correct? post 18

Tags
tire, tires