Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Tires for Rockwood A122

I know this subject was recently discussed, but hear me out. This could be helpful.

Last week while traveling back to Florida we had a blow out on the Interstate. We quickly changed the tire and drove to our next stop. The tires as most of you know are 185/80 13, load range "D". The D is the critical specification. Still 300 miles from home I went to two camping stores for a replacement and as you know, they are not stocked. They have C rated, but no D. Special order.

Here is the question. The UVW on the trailer sticker says it's 1899 lbs out of the factory, add the battery, LP tanks and light gear (we never carry water in the tank), we are up to +/- 2,100 lbs. Subtract the tongue weight of 250 lbs and the axle weight comes to 1850 lbs. Class C tires carry 1350 lbs each and D carry 1700 lbs. Is the only reason this trailer came with D rated tires is because the GVWR is 3086 lbs.

By the way, my tire guy said the blown tire was manufactured in 2009, the trailer is a 2013 and garage kept (no sun). They had less than 10k. Thank you Rockwood. What gives.

Please advise on tires.
Manypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #2

Fully loaded for one going to camp with a full tank of fresh water, my camper has a 2060 lb axle weight. So, ya, in a pinch, the C range would probably do for me. But I'd still drain the water tank.

But do go to your local CAT scale and get weighed to be sure for your camper.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. Just frustrated with the lack of a quality tire in D and how Rockwood put four year old tires on a new trailer. Will do on the scale idea.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #4

Well I found out the hard way that trailer tires need to be replaced every five years. The two main factors of trailer tire failure is heat and time, I would go back to your dealer since your tires were already four years old and complain to them that there is only a year left on then. Also trailer tires have a speed rating of 65 only so anything over that creates more heat And possible failure. I found out that Firestone has a higher speed rated trailer tire name Thunder.
Jacink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

On another site, they said that you can find the age by looking on the tire. You are looking for something like 5205 in a rubber circle. 52 means they were made in the 52nd week of the year 2005. I do not see that on my LoadStar tires. The letters ANA are in the circle. I have an A122. Any ideas how to find out when my tires were manufactured.

Second, I am going to replace these tires when I start camping next season. Where should I go to do it? I live in the Chicagoland area so I have plenty of tire stores. Just not sure where to start.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #6

In Denver, I called my dealer and he has them but they only deal in popups and have a rental fleet, so I expect this is the exception and not the rule. The load range "D" is hard to find in a 13 inch tire.
you can get them on line at etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM1ST79.html
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Unfortunately, etrailer does NOT carry a radial 185/80ST13 load range D. They have in a Kenda bias ply, but not radial. The radial only comes in the smaller 175 size. Supposedly Kenda Loadstar makes such a tire, but I have any in-stock on-line listings. My original equipment are Loadstars.

You do have to wade through the listings carefully - look at the actual load rating of the tire. 185/80R13 ST Load Range D should be about 1700 - 1750 lbs.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 with OE Westlakes with 5,000 miles. So good, so far, but I don't load them fully.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
On another site, they said that you can find the age by looking on the tire. You are looking for something like 5205 in a rubber circle. 52 means they were made in the 52nd week of the year 2005. I do not see that on my LoadStar tires. The letters ANA are in the circle. I have an A122. Any ideas how to find out when my tires were manufactured.

Second, I am going to replace these tires when I start camping next season. Where should I go to do it? I live in the Chicagoland area so I have plenty of tire stores. Just not sure where to start.
I just bought new Kumho 857 trailer tires at Discount Tire.

There is a nice description of how to check the date of tire manufacture at tirerack.com. Go to tires->learn->tire tech->determining the age of a tire.

Also, there is a good description of good practice for trailer tires by Carlisle Tire. Google "Carlisle trailer tires tips best practices" and it should pop up as a pdf.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #9

Sorry my A-frame came with 175/80
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

New Tires Purchased and Mounted

Done, ordered two new tires from etrailer , manufactured stamp read nineteenth week of 2015. Local guy mounted and balanced the tires. Thanks etrailer.

Others in this forum have always recommended balancing the tires, even though they don't come balanced and most trailer tires are not, whether for trailers, boats or whatever....

Tags
a122, rockwood, tire, tires