Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #31

I have driven over 3500 miles on trail express made in China, NOT ALL CHINA TIRES are bad, mostly user error being over inflated, under inflated or overloaded. I also check the tire temps and hub temps every time I stop. No Problem yet, but still have to travel another 3000 miles to get back home. FR sells thousands of trailers a year, do you really think they would put crap on? Well I do not. Most US tires are made over seas.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #32

I have found that some freeways are very hard on tires. The I-5 in the northern portion of Calif. is bad. It is concrete and the adjoining sections have settled in some of it causing a jolting "thump, thump" as you drive along. Broke the cords in a Toyota truck we had once and had to put the spare on. When we got home, we found the cords were damaged in the other tires so we ended up replacing them all. Then we learned that Toyota allegedly was putting on el-cheapo version tires (Michelin IIRC) while tire shops were selling the "good" ones. On another trip, we lost TWO tires on the I-5 in Norcal.

I wonder if it would be prudent to slow down on freeways/highways like this when pulling a camper?

I also have to wonder how long it takes for tires sitting out in the sun to get damaged by UV rays? I have my car trailer sitting outside exposed to the elements. One year, a tire exploded while it was just sitting out in the yard. Perhaps tire covers would be a good idea when the RV is not in use?

The tires that came on our trailer are rated for max. 50 psi. We have a smaller trailer though. Sure wouldn't want to travel with these ones over 50 psi. I think our dealer said to keep them at 35.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #33

My 2011 5th wheel (bought in 2010) has Duro tires, made in China. So far close to 10,000 miles and no problems.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #34

Don't think the name Good Year automatically means made in the U.S.A. My trailer came from the factory with a set of Good Years. I had already pulled it from Tennessee to Pennsylvania and back, plus four more trips that were 4 to 6 hours one way when I read a thread here about Chinese tires. I thought, "I don't have that problem. Mine are Good Years." Well, I noticed the other day when I was washing the camper that all too familiar phrase stamped right on the sidewalls of my Good Year tires: "Made in China".
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #35

The only trailers that can pull a full size 5er or a longer TT is a low rider trailer. This is the same trailer used to move large construction machines. So if you have a bearing go while on the highway the only way to move your trailer is with a low rider.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Don't think the name Good Year automatically means made in the U.S.A. My trailer came from the factory with a set of Good Years. I had already pulled it from Tennessee to Pennsylvania and back, plus four more trips that were 4 to 6 hours one way when I read a thread here about Chinese tires. I thought, "I don't have that problem. Mine are Good Years." Well, I noticed the other day when I was washing the camper that all too familiar phrase stamped right on the sidewalls of my Good Year tires: "Made in China".
I don't think anyone said that. I only mentioned that my Goodyear Marathons were made in Gadsden, Alabama (USA).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 007.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	15737  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #37

Loue: I was just given a R-Pod year 2010 as a loaner while I was waiting for my Mini Lite and the Pod had tires good Year Marathon size 205 75r 14 that were made in U.S.A.

Tags
led pad