Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

tires on FR trailers

Hi everybody:
Lately I have read about some bad things about the tires that FR has been putting on their travel trailers. Being the new owners of a Rockwood A122, we were wondering if there was a certain brand of tire that was the problem, and if so, what brand is it? We were thinking about putting some better tires on before we go any long distance with the trailer. We would like to know what other owners have experienced?
Thanks
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

I got rid of mine a week after I brought the trailer home. I upgraded to a 15" Maxxis 8008. I too had read some bad reviews on them.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Its hard to say which are really good or bad.
On my 05 tt that we had untill fall of 2011 had the original tires on it yet.
I think it has a lot to do with being diligent on air pressure, mileage and over weight.
Imo.
some people with brand x tire do not have problems while others with brand x do.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Best thing you can do is take care of them.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

Goodyear's, they were on mine when I got it, part of the deal at no cost to me, although I don't think everyone was happy about it.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

The tires FR uses are pretty much all Chinese from what I understand. While that does not automatically mean they are garbage, it is a concern.
I also changed mine, as I wanted a better quality tire, but I also didn't like the fact that FR put load range "C" tires on our fifth, as they were loaded almost to their limit. They should have used load range "D"s, and that was what I bought.
What I would suggest to buy first is a set of tire pressure monitors. Then you could keep your factory tires, safe in the knowledge that your monitors would give you a warning if one was about to fail. It is rare for a tire to go without losing a bit of pressure first. We bought a set, and they are worth every penny, in peace of mind alone.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

From what I have read, all tires that come into the USA must meet or exceed all government specifications for sale in this country. Most tire failures are a result of under inflation and overloading and driving too fast causing the tires to overheat.
Maximum tire pressure's are stamped on the sidewall of the tire along with what the spped the tire is designed for. When you load your camper with gear, spread it evenly around the camper with the heaviest gear over the axles. Front to rear and side to side. I bought my first camper in 2002 and was told by the service tech these tips and I have not had a tire failure yet, knock on wood. It's not to say it won't happen but there are precautions you can take to lessen the chance of a tire failure. One of the best things I have done over the years was to buy a small air compressor that I take with me on our long summer vacations and I check tire pressure daily.When at home, I check tire pressure's monthly in all veheciles. Surprising how those tires lose air when your on the road or at home just sitting.
Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
From what I have read, all tires that come into the USA must meet or exceed all government specifications for sale in this country. Most tire failures are a result of under inflation and overloading and driving too fast causing the tires to overheat.
Maximum tire pressure's are stamped on the sidewall of the tire along with what the speed the tire is designed for. When you load your camper with gear, spread it evenly around the camper with the heaviest gear over the axles. Front to rear and side to side. I bought my first camper in 2002 and was told by the service tech these tips and I have not had a tire failure yet, knock on wood. It's not to say it won't happen but there are precautions you can take to lessen the chance of a tire failure. One of the best things I have done over the years was to buy a small air compressor that I take with me on our long summer vacations and I check tire pressure daily.When at home, I check tire pressure's monthly in all vehicles. Surprising how those tires lose air when your on the road or at home just sitting.
Good Luck.
Good advice. I might add that road trash and curb strikes causing belt damage are the primary causes of tire disintegration at speed. Just because "It looks good" when you check it afterwards does not mean that damage was not done. A broken wire in the belt may take weeks or months to work its way to the surface and cause a blowout.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #9

Actually that only applies to passanger and LT tires. Not trailer tires. To the OP, best thing you can do is go out snd inspect the tires. If the country of origin is China get them off. Relace them with the appropriate size LT or Maxxis ST tire. BTW it is not only FR that is using junk tires. It is every manufacturer.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

snip...
From what I have read, all tires that come into the USA must meet or exceed all government specifications for sale in this country.
snip...

Who checks them? Do you recall the paint on the toys event or pet food killing pets, the tooth paste. Trust me, if you do have a tire issue, do you want to deal with someone that imports them and maybe they can locate someone to help you or all they need is a picture of your damaged tire to help you.

Or worst case, you neeed only to locate a Goodyear dealer. The big money we pay for an RV and the junk tires they come with. The industry should be ashamed of themselves.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE44460 View Post
Who checks them?
The DoT sets the specifications and requirements for all tires used on American roads. Tire manufacturers send "First Articles" to the DoT for testing to make sure it meets their requirements and "certifies" the manufacture to make tires for use in the USA. They issue the manufacturer a DoT code that has to be molded into each tire.

That assures the purchaser that the DoT has certified the manufacturer and that tire as "safe" for its intended purpose. For most "No Name" tires that is all the QC you are going get until there is a recall based on failure reports.

If you buy a Goodyear or Michelin or "Name Branded" tire, you get an additional level of QC since they have their own inspectors who actually work in the plant after certification and ensure compliance even after certification. Not saying you still won't get a bad run of tires, just that you get two eyes looking at the product before you buy it.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Lou
I know you love your Goodyears, but the truth of the matter is the Marathons are no better than any other tires coming out of China. Doing a lot if reading on four different forums it appears Maxxis is the only ST tire out there with minimum issues. And a track record of standing up to the punishment from abuse on trailers. Years ago when I was in the tire business Goodyears had the worst life of any tire. Yea I know things have changed, but that does not help the sour taste in my mouth from dealing with them.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I know things have changed, but that does not help the sour taste in my mouth from dealing with them.
Well that sort of sums it up then. FYI my Goodyear Marathons were made in Gadsden Alabama. While not "exactly" in the Union, Alabama was still in the USA by conquest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 006.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	12614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mallory Wedding 3 234.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	12615  
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #14

For the size of tires your A122 is using I think you will have a hard time to find a tire for trailer use that is not made in China. I have the Triangle brand on my Rockwood and I have no complaint at all regarding these tires even if they are made in China.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #15

Duro tires

warning I have a 2010 Salem and just found out my tires that have less than 200 miles are dry rotted and they are 2008 tires, Forest river put 2008 tires on a 2010 trailer.
tinneraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Bias ply tires have had many more posts on tire failure than radial tires. I also was worried about my DURO tires, but they are radials. I decided to give them a try and after 4700 miles last summer they look like new. They also were exactly the same pressure this spring as when I left them last fall. I will replace them with Maxxis after five years though, but for now are very happy with them.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Hi everybody:
Lately I have read about some bad things about the tires that FR has been putting on their travel trailers. Being the new owners of a Rockwood A122, we were wandering if there was a certain brand of tire that was the problem, and if so, what brand is it? We were thinking about putting some better tires on before we go any long distance with the trailer. We would like to know what other owners have experienced?
Thanks
Laura
Laura - before I brought a 2012 Silverback 29 rk and started reading this forum, I never gave much thought about RV tires and much less what brand of tires my FW came with from FR.

After reading about the so called "china bombs" RV tires I checked the tires on my RV. They are the Trail Express ST 235/80R16 brand made by Tri-Ace Tire Company in Hong Kong.

We have pulled our FW a total of 5496 miles to date and with the exception of a leak in one of them caused by a screw, we have not had any problem (s) with the 4 of them.

I will add the following: 1) I always keep the pressure at 80 PSI cold and check the pressure at the start of each travel day, 2) I drive a max of 60 MPH, 3) I brought a Porter Cable C1010 portable air compressor forthe purpose of being able to top them off if necessary and had to top two of them one morning because they were reading 75 PSI cold.

I cannot explain the cause of some of the problems others have had with their FR supplied tires, but this has been our expereince so far.

As others have stated here, keeping them properly inflated (as is also necessary for any tire), and staying within the load and speed limits as specified is always a good practice.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #18

"I always keep the pressure at 80 PSI cold"
--------
B47, your camper came with load range 'E' tires?
I wish I were so lucky!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
"I always keep the pressure at 80 PSI cold"
--------
B47, your camper came with load range 'E' tires?
I wish I were so lucky!
DG - what load range tires do you have and what load range tire is required?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

I will make a wild statement here and say that it is my opinion that a vast majority of all tire failures are from underinflated tires that get hot and explode. Sure there are those that are caused by road hazards, being curbed, etc. but that also happens to vehicle tires. In my 36+ yrs of camping all over the US, I have seen very, very few people check the tires of their mh, 5ers or tt either the night before or the morning they leave. I was guilty of the same thing until 2 yrs ago as I had checked tire pressures when we left Concord, NC and never checked them again UNTIL after we had one explode, taking off the fender and causing about $1800 damage 3 weeks later. Stopped the next day and had 4 new LR D GY Marathons put on and joined the crowd of Chinese bashing when it was either a low tire or a road hazard that caused my problem. DW & I have now "bit the bullet" and invested $259 in the TST tire monitoring system. Will I have another blowout, I hope not, but it will not be because the pressure is not at the max allowed for my tires.

Tags
led pad