Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #31
daydreaming about camping

or you could drill a new pin hole on the shank.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
If it ain't already there, I wouldn't mess with altering the shank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Thought of that, but this shank (Curt 17120) has a reinforcement piece that runs from the vertical to the horizontal bars. I can only go about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch further in before hitting that reinforcement.

I'm wondering if I'm over thinking the whole thing. I know the bar is fine, I mean that thing is solid steel. The receiver should be fine too as it has to be rated to be used with a WD Hitch - the owners manual recommends it when towing near the stated limits. The frustrating thing is that Jeep doesn't place stickers on the hitch (as aftermarket makers do) with ratings for standard and WDH setups.

BUT, Here's what I finally found on the web: Part 82210230, Hitch for 07-12 2 or 4 door wranglers. Description (same on many retail sites for this OEM part): 3,500-lb. tow rating, 350-lb. tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2000-lb. tow rating, 200-lb. tongue weight rating, 2" opening, Same as Production, Hitch Ball and ball mount sold separately.

That is the same hitch that is installed at the factory if you order the trailer tow package.

The Rugged Ridge branded hitch appears to be identical and the same specs.

I'm well within those specs with WDH installed.

I'll say this - after adjustment and installation of the WDH the Jeep feels almost like there's no trailer behind me at all (with the exception that the already anemic power is obviously affected).
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #34

@ Mtnguy: I thought about that too Modifying a weight carrying device like that could have unknown consequences.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #35

Ok - back from our 2nd weekend out with the A126 towed by our 2 Door Jeep. I now have the WD Hitch setup and balanced pretty well. The trailer may be every so slightly 'nose high' but less than 1/4". Moving the ball mount down to the next hole would make it pretty nose low.

I'm very happy with the setup. After adjusting the WD Hitch and getting the setup just right I have settled the front axle back to the unloaded height (based on measurements of the fenders). The rear settles about 1/2 to 3/4" which gives the Jeep a good balance.

The Reese 66065 is a 600 / 10000 WD Hitch and matches the setup I have great (about 300lbs of tongue weight, 1/2 of the max rating). I could have gone with the 350 light weight setup which might have given less of a stiffness but this seems to be pretty good overall.

I towed for the first time on the Interstate on the way home. We went up US 42 in Kentucky to avoid interstates on the way to Big Bone Lick State Park (no, I didn't make that name up). US 42 is pretty rough in spots as it runs close to the river, and is pretty hilly as well.

I decided to take the interstate home to see how it all handled. First, the trailer was perfect. Not a bit of sway even with large trucks passing. Balance was good and porpoising was minimal to non-existent (considering the short wheelbase of the Jeep I was happy about that).

The only problem with the A126 and the Jeep on the Interstate is the Jeeps anemic engine. Power is minimal without a trailer. Add the 2000 lb A126 and you now have to run without OD and still face some minor issues. I found the Jeep would not unlock the torque converter when out of cruise control and instead try to down shift to 2nd at 60-65 MPH!!!!!!! YIKES...

I ended up using cruise and the Jeep would unlock the torque converter in 3rd gear (non-OD) allowing it to keep it's speed up on the hills. I kept it under 70 (about 66-68) for the short trip back. Fuel mileage was dismal on the interstate (The Jeep is a brick, add 2000 lbs and a trailer that is about 6 inches wider than the Jeep on each side and the drag is terrible). I was getting about 14mpg. On state highways running 50-60 miles an hour I get about 16mpg.

I figure even though the WD Hitch gives much better handling I'll avoid interstates whenever possible. Besides - I'm going camping - why get in a hurry!

Thanks to everyone for tips and pointers and discussions regarding my setup over the past weeks. It's been very beneficial and a great learning experience for me. It's nice to have a great community here to learn from!

Here's a picture of the setup:

Tags
a-frame, a122, a128