Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

Tool Kit

As dreams of camping fill my head I'm also thinking of what to stock my A-122s. What does everyone have for an essential tool kit?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

Bit screwdriver set with a #2 square bit (S2).
Power drill with 25-50 foot extension cord.

For when you need both hands free.
http://www.googleadservices.com/page...AID%3D17588969

Duct tape, spare fuses and bulbs
Old 12-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

You can all ways use the search box.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gin-66953.html
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #4

I have a fully loaded 10 drawer rollaway cabnet for the toyhauler. 1/2",3/8".1/4" drive full set in metric and sae,shallow and 6pt deep.pliers,screwdrivers,nut runners,snap ring pliers combiation wrenches from 1/4" to 1" as well as metric up to 19mm.Corded and cordless 1/2" impact guns,cordless 1/4" impact 1/2"cordless drill/driver and a full set of sae,metric,and number drill bit.Left hand sae drill bits up to 3/8",sae and metric tap/die sets.and probably a bunch of stuff I dont even know is there!It is really going to be a luxury ive never had this year with the toy hauler.Ive always had to have multiple carry boxes stashed where ever I could put them!This big cab does double duty now,its in the enclosed 4 place sled trailer in winter and the toy hauler in summer.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #5

That and bring a jack that can lift your camper and get a digital multimeter and know how to use it.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #6

Air compressor.
Impact wrench.
Cordless drill.
Multi meter.
Hand tool variety.
Propane torch.
Torque wrench.
Bottle jack.
Trailer aid.
Portable lights including multiple flashlights.
Repair parts for minor repairs including electrical, plumbing and structural.
Lubricants and sealers.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello Trailer Girl,
A Frame needs for tools. I would have a couple adjustable wrenches, a screwdriver set or good quality Quic Pic multi driver, corded 3/8 drill, vice grips, utility knife, cutter, needle nose pilers and wire stripper, a rubber mallet, hatchet for firewood, wrench for wheel lugs. One thing essential is a Digital Multi meter and a non contact voltage tester. Not sure of your skill level but have electrical tape to fix a harness if it gets scraped, some hose gear clamps to fix a leak, duct tape, piece of plastic (in case of a puncture wound you can weather proof till repairs can be completed. As far as lubes, some WD 40 for squeaky door hedges or locks, small bit of grease for the hitch.

This should fit in a canvas tool bag, will allow you to stuff it any where.

Safe travels with your A Frame

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
That and bring a jack that can lift your camper and get a digital multimeter and know how to use it.
A med floor jack ,2 bottle jacks and the "electrcal box" with wire full set of trailer plugs,splices,ring toungs,tape ,flares, multimeter,crimping tool are part of the bed box thats always in the truck.Also an on board air compresser w/ 50' of hose in the truck.As a last resort there is always an m 1 carbine with folding stock and several mags in the trailer unless we are going to canada.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits your RV. Many times those supplied with the TV will not fit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Done with this

Also some emergency triangles if you breakdown on the road.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #11

Thanks everyone all great suggestions! First trip planned for April 17th! Wish me luck with Canadian weather!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #12

I could drag my entire tool box behind me except the one tool I'd need is the one I left behind. Never fails.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

I have a boxed 101 piece tool set that has wrenches, sockets and ratchet, vice grips, a screw driver handle with about 50 bits to make up the 101 pieces. Cheap tools but they work and I don't cry whew they get a bit rusty.

I also carry a breaker bar and socket to remove the tire lug nuts and a torque wrench to tighten them back up. Most of the time I carry a strong battery powered drill and an extra extension cord or two. Then in my parts box, there are extra light bulbs and fuses among the assorted things that might break.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Basic hand tools plus drill, tape, wire, wire ties, air compressor, flashlight, batteries for remotes, tv cable connectors, spare bulbs and wd40 or light oil.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #15

You'll want to ensure you have adapter plug, water pressure regulator, fresh water hose, 30 amp/10 gauge extension cord, chocks, fuses (carry a small fuse kit), batteries for headlamps/flashlights/other, small house tool kit (it will have various sockets, screw driver ends, basic hammer, wrench, pliers, etc), all purpose lubricant for mechanical issues, locks for coupler and hitch, bungees, stakes and a couple ground tarps to name the very basics...

As Tom recommends, be sure you have the correctly sized deep socket, breaker bar and torque wrench so if you had to change your tire, you could.

Anything else is for your personal comfort and daily needs (clothing, bedding, hygiene, eating) and you will continually work at getting that part 'just right'

I will "assume" you already carry a vehicle emergency road kit, so this would avoid the issue of double carrying tools and other mechanical "stuff" in your trailer.

You have several months the of playing and setting up "house". To alot of fun to work out the interior for your personal needs. Keeps a list of what you still need to purchase and eventually you'll get there...then after awhile, you'll do a clean put of excess "stuff" you fond you really didn't need after all. Haha

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #16

I'll add my latest find to the list on nice things to have. Motion sensing LED lights.

They are great in the dark cabinet and underseat compartment, lighting up when the door is opened. They are cheap and use 3 AA batteries but could easily be adapted to be wired in.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergirl99 View Post
As dreams of camping fill my head I'm also thinking of what to stock my A-122s. What does everyone have for an essential tool kit?
I recommend you go to Sears and buy one each of everything with the word Craftsman on it, add a large mig welder, get a $38K Hunter alignment machine and a floor lift... oh... and some mechanic's gloves!

Ha... just kidding, trailergirl99. Now you've seen a little of how the forum works. You ask for advice on an "essential" tool kit for an A frame trailer and you get comments on what other people take on Work/Play trips to repair bulldozers down at the quarry. Someone asks how to add horsepower to a gas 6.0L GM engine and they get blueprints of a Dodge diesel engine. Take all our help with a grain of salt. You'll see posts in this thread that answered your question. Hint: don't take a welder!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

Motion sensing LED lights.[/URL]
They are great in the dark cabinet and underseat compartment, lighting up when the door is opened. They are cheap and use 3 AA batteries but could easily be adapted to be wired in.[/QUOTE]

I've purchased some recently, before our new camper came home. Now, I wonder if they will come on while travelling, when items get bounced around in the camper. I've ordered a LED touch lamp, just waiting for it to arrive. It it works out, I will order more. They are inexpensive.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #19

So far one of mine has drained the batteries and is now dim while the other is bright as new. If it ever stops raining in Houston, I'll change the batteries. If not, I'll change them at Guadalupe Mountains NP next week, when I know the skies will be clear.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergirl99 View Post
A little philosphy that I used to come up with my tool kit (and other equipment -

In my past, I used to cruise sailboats. The ideal was to be able to fix anything that could break so that you could get back home - could be a couple of days doing so. Obviously, it's impossible to cover everything, but I still had a pretty impressive tool kit and supply chest.

The next activity was backpacking when my son was in Scouts. A minimalist philosophy was needed - going up and down Colorado mountains with more than 35 lbs is just too painful.

We bought the A-frame last year because the kids were in college (out-of-state) and it's just the 2 of us. I'm still working, so weekends and long weekends would be our camping. We bought the non-s A122 so it would fit in our garage, and be kept ready to go. If anything drastic went wrong, we would come home, and deal with the issue at home. With that scenario in mind, I developed a tool and equipment list. Tools and supplies are dedicated to the A122, and kept stored there.

- Jack and lug wrench to change tire on either vehicle. The minivan's jack will work for the camper. I put in a cross lug wrench in the minivan for leverage on lug nuts. Tire pressures (including spares) are checked and set AM of departure, I have always carried a pressure gauge in the minivan.

- Wrench for battery cables at battery. I have dual size 24 batteries on the camper to power the heater through a long weekend without hookups. I carry a wrench to switch battery cables around as necessary. This could be eliminated with installation of a dual battery switch (planned mod in next month).

- Phillips #2 screwdriver to remove dinette seat (driver's side) to access electrical, heater, water heater.

- Flat large blade stubby screwdriver for fridge outside access panel opening

- water filter wrench (included with camper). I have never installed the element because of the horror stories. I have never modded to get rid of filter casing either.

- meter cause I like things electrical. Do not carry electrical repair kit, though. May some day add spare fuses.

- matches and butane lighting sticks for inside stove, camp stove, and Coleman lantern
- several 1# propane bottles for camp stove and lantern

- Lynx Leveler (orange Legos) in carrying case.
- plywood circle for pad under tongue jack, and 3/4" board for fine adjustment under wheels.
- 5" level calibrated in inches installed across front of camper.
- Carpenter's level for fore and aft leveling.
- 4 plastic chocks

- included wrench for stabilizers

- lever for WDH bars (I have never used so far, get enough rise from tongue jack to put bars on by hand)

- 25ft 20 amp extension cord, 30 amp to 20 amp plug block (in addition to included 25ft 30 amp cable)

- bucket for gray water. Adapter and hose to fit gray water drain and reach bucket.

- pressure reducer and 90 dgree angle for water hookup, 25ft fresh water hose

- EZ fill for water tank (piece of hose cut lengthwise at an angle)

- LED flashlights, including head-mounted LED lights

- mallet in the EZ-up bag for putting stakes in ground

Porta-potty and RV-que are left at home. We cook on 2 burner propane stove at picnic table. Looking around for a portable tabletop charcoal grill that's not a mess to carry or clean. We use campground toilets and sometimes showers.

Bottom line is we keep it simple because it's only weekend trips (less than 1 day's drive). If anything happens more than the tools I have can handle, we quit and go home. Fit your toolbox to your repair philosophy.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer WDH/anti-sway
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote