Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Red face Towing a 2015 Forest River Model T12DDST

Hello,

I'm looking at buying an A-Frame, and I think I can pull it with my Subaru Outback, but I'm not sure. Has anyone had any experience towing an A-Frame with an Outback? The tow rating is 2700 pounds, and the model I'm looking at has a dry weight of 1900 pounds. I plan to tow it without water or many items in it.
JFosterDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #2

The main number most people have problems meeting when considering a camper borderline for their vehicle is the Payload number. Check your Drivers Side door and there is a sticker that says what the cargo carrying capacity should not exceed.

Will look like this:

That number,
- your passengers weight
- anything else your going to put in the Outback
- Your hitches weight

EQUALS is what will be left for your tongue weight.

Let's say you add 300 lbs to the camper (which is on the minimalistic side, most people plan 700-1000 lbs). So your 1900lb dry weight plus 300, takes you to 2200 lbs.

Tongue weight is generally between 12%-15% of the campers weight once loaded. 264 lbs is 12%. 330 lbs is 15%.

If the math works and your under the PAYLOAD number, you are okay.

Obviously there are just generalities. Most people use the MAX number for the camper instead of the dry weight when calculating their tongue weight for a camper you don't own yet. There are things that are added after the factory such as batteries, propane tanks, accessories that are not going to be figured into the "Dry Wt" so that's always under the real number.

But the above calculations will let you know if your even in the ball park or you need a lighter camper or a bigger vehicle. Good Luck in your search.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Notwithstanding the numbers game:

Personally, given my experiences towing a 2,100 lb A-frame with my TV, and having recently considered purchasing various SUVs rated for 3,500, I would not go the route you are considering. It's better not to cut it close. Just my opinion.

That said, check out this post in a thread I created (other posts may be helpful too): http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2016441

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, towing