Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #21

Forest River is putting out BS - not that you are going to take my word over theirs. Forest River also claims they make the highest quality RVs. But ask the Forest River guy telling you this if he has ever towed a Forest River A-frame - with or without a WDH.

The rule of thumb in the 1990s for "light weight" trailers: If the frame was made from C-channel instead of box girder, then the frame was not strong enough to take a WDH. If it was/is box girder (all Forest River A-frames are box girders), the frame was/is strong enough for a WDH.

That said, would I recommend a WDH that requires frame drilling for the mounts? No, of course not. The mount should be external to the box to help spread the load. The bar-type combination WDH/anti-sway all use external brackets to support the bar loads. I have checked the mounts for the bar ends on my A122 A-frame annually, and have not one dimple or stress indications in the frame from using the WDH. On my previous Coleman PUP - also a box girder frame, but no WDH, I did manage to crinkle the frame on one side of the A from making too sharp of a turn.

As I posted before, if your tow vehicle rear suspension is stiff enough to support a 400-500lb tongue load without any noticeable sagging, you probably don't need a WDH. If there is noticeable sag, especially on a low riding vehicle like a minivan or some SUVs, the WDH prevents the dreaded hitch strike at road dips. This is in addition to the ride improvement of both the tow vehicle and camper.

The WDH puts some weight back on the front end of the tow vehicle, air bags do not. Air bags do not help with sway, a combination WDH/anti-sway does.

I would not tow my A122 with my minivan without the Equalizer E2 WDH. Others may choose differently. If I had known how much the WDH improves my towing life, I would have installed one on the Coleman PUP and Ford Explorer.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #22

Thanks, everyone for cour experience and comments.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #23

Thanks, everyone for your experience and comments.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #24

Hi:I wonder what your hitch weight would be with only one battery and only one propane tank filled.
CamperGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperGuy55 View Post
Hi:I wonder what your hitch weight would be with only one battery and only one propane tank filled.
Just for info, my A122BH tongue weight was 340 with one 12V battery and only one tank filled. When I weight that I also had some lawn chairs on the deck, so with nothing it would be just a little bit less.

Even though my SUV is rated for 600lbs on the tongue, I still only fill one tank. I pretty much only use it for the fridge and stove, and actually have only refilled it once in 4 years! I've only run the furnace one night so far, otherwise I haven't needed it.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #26

Refer to post 11 of this thread. We got our scale and learned how to distribute the load to get the tongue weight to 330#, which is 13.5% on the tongue.

We have two 12V batteries and 2 propane tanks. I drained the water heater, located at the far forward of the box and that knocked off 50# on the tongue.

We just got back from a 3.5 week, 4000 mile trip without any issues. Did have some screws and nuts to tighten but nothing big. During the trip, we had major thunderstorms 4 nights in a row with small hail. No leaks except for one night the rain blew sideways and came in the refrig outside vents.

Very pleased with the rig and trip.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #27

Possible WDH

It appears many experienced RV'ers strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch. It appears also that Equalizer WDH seems to be a preferred unit. For a 3,800 # loaded A frame with approximately 400 # tongue weight, would this be a good choice:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17050.html

Towing with a Toyota Highlander with towing package (5,000 # capacity)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Ours did us well for several 1000miles. I'd highly recommend them.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
It appears many experienced RV'ers strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch. It appears also that Equalizer WDH seems to be a preferred unit. For a 3,800 # loaded A frame with approximately 400 # tongue weight, would this be a good choice:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17050.html

Towing with a Toyota Highlander with towing package (5,000 # capacity)
I would recommend the Equalizer E2 600/6000 over the above for the following reasons:

- built in anti-sway
- no drilling into A-frame frame. The bar supports and backing plates bolt around the frame.
- L brackets, not chains support the bars at the trailer end.

I do have the E2 600/6000 on my A-frame, and it tows wonderfully as I stated in a previous post.

Fred W
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #30

pgandw, I value your insight. I had been loyal to Curt because they make reliable products manufactured only 50 miles from our home in Wisconsin. To be honest, the price is attractive on the model, also, but the cost of a wdh in comparison to the vehicles is rather insignificant. I also can add the Curt anti-sway bar that I already have. But you make strong arguments for the Equalizer model. Since it includes anti-sway, can you back up wih that model? Thanks. ej
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
pgandw, I value your insight. I had been loyal to Curt because they make reliable products manufactured only 50 miles from our home in Wisconsin. To be honest, the price is attractive on the model, also, but the cost of a wdh in comparison to the vehicles is rather insignificant. I also can add the Curt anti-sway bar that I already have. But you make strong arguments for the Equalizer model. Since it includes anti-sway, can you back up wih that model? Thanks. ej
Yes, you can back up with the bars attached. It can cause damage if you jack knife the rig while backing. I already told you of the advantages of the Equalizer. Disadvantages of the Equalizer:

- audibly groans (sometimes pretty loudly) while making sharp turns at low speeds. This is the bar sliding in the L-bracket - the friction is your anti-sway. I've never heard a peep above 25MPH. As we leave the campsite, I hear the groan, and smile, knowing the anti-sway is working.

- hitch head is heavy. Mine weighs about 40lbs. It is awkward to lift into the hitch tube, and awkward to put aside after unhitching. It's a real shin knocker to leave installed on the back of my minivan, so I take it off.

- it costs more than the chain type. When I bought the A-frame (2014), the towing without a WDH was unacceptable. On the test drive, the A-frame was porpoising, with the tongue bobbing and taking the rear of the minivan with it. I went into the dealer, ready to unwind the deal I had just signed. The dealer, who had an excellent staff, suggested the Equalizer. He sold it to me for $320, installed, to make me happy and keep his sale.

The dealer did a nice job of setting up the Equalizer, too (used 5 washers). The propane tank base was raised 1 inch to provide clearance for the L-brackets.

As I have learned more on these forums, I notice that Equalizer comes highly recommended by many members. I am certainly glad I have one.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 06-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #32

the highlander, I think, is sort of like a flashier version of the 4runner. Generally the same 5000# tow rating and 500# tongue weight. Our trailer pulls great so I imagine yours will be fine too.
alexcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #33

I tow my A214HW with a Highlander and I highly recommend using a WDH. I was told by a trailer services to use the anti sway bar but to remove it when backing up. I’ve had no problems and don’t even realize I’m towing after I’m on the road for awhile.
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I tow my A214HW with a Highlander and I highly recommend using a WDH. I was told by a trailer services to use the anti sway bar but to remove it when backing up. I’ve had no problems and don’t even realize I’m towing after I’m on the road for awhile.
Old tech WDHs that use an add-on friction sway bar, often need to disconnect the anti-sway bar.
Modern tech WDHs with integrated sway control, like the 4pt Equal-i-zer, don't need this done.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #35

Thanks, all for your insights. We decided on an Andersen WDH. Very pleased with performance and ease of set-up. Not necessary to remove backing up and no groaning in CG (except for the driver after long days).
Old 11-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #36

One thing to add here.... Try it without a WDH see how much rear end squat you get on your tow vehicle and how it tows. I'd bet it will be a lot and the rear end squat, if excessive, causes the trailer to run low in the front which can cause sway, especially at highway speeds... This is especially true on single axle trailers.

One thing you also want to do is check your tow vehicle hitch and see what it's rated for. It should have a weight sticker on it and if it's less then 500 pounds, which is your tongue weight, you might want to replace it with an after market one...

In any case, WDH hitch or not, I'd also strongly recommend you get a break controller.... Not only will it help you with faster emergency stops but if you were to get into a situation where you are getting a lot of sway, you can engage the trailer breaks manually with the controller and often times this will settle the trailer down.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #37

Another 2 cents -

The initial test tow of our A212 with a Grand Caravan showed too much rear end sag and some decrease in control and handling. Thinking between a WDH and Monroe Sensatrac shocks, I decided on trying the Monroe Sensatracs.

The Sensatracs made a significant difference overall, and were quite acceptable. No rear end sag, and control and handling is very good.

3 years, and Happy with the Sensatracs!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, towing