Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Towing After Winterizing?

I just got my new Rockwood 128S two weeks ago. Took it camping one week ago, then winterized the water system 3 days ago. I want to take another trip or two this Fall but I don't want to de-winterize it. I'll carry drinking water in jugs so I don't really need the water system.

This may be a silly question, but will it hurt anything to haul it with AF in the system?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore54 View Post
I just got my new Rockwood 128S two weeks ago. Took it camping one week ago, then winterized the water system 3 days ago. I want to take another trip or two this Fall but I don't want to de-winterize it. I'll carry drinking water in jugs so I don't really need the water system.

This may be a silly question, but will it hurt anything to haul it with AF in the system?
I have done that a couple times with no down side observed. Just don't put too much water in holding tanks or dump them after use and then add a splash of AF to holding tanks.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:

Towing after winterizing is not an issue.

When I go camping after winterizing and I know a dumpsite is available, I carry a few gallon jugs of water that I pour into the toilet as needed. I also add a few gallons of water prior to the trip so the black tank is not dry.

After camping I dump and flush it out. At home I put a little AF in the bowl just to keep the seal wet.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Crookedread

If it is really going to get cold I put AF in the traps so they don't break.

Crookedread
2016 2500 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I winterize a couple times a year because of traveling south for a week or so and coming back to OH. Always travel until I get far enough south that I don't have to worry about freezing, then dewinterize. With motorhome I don't worry about winterizing before coming home, but with fifth wheel, I would at least drain the lines and blow them out before returning.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

We just de-winterize for a couple of quick winter trips then re-winterize. Takes about 30 minutes.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Its all good....no issues but perhaps your traps like the previous poster pointed out..howeve should be redone if your pouring into the sink if you are dry camping.after you go out for your last trip....then its not an issue?.because you have already run antifreeze through the traps...when winterizing.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
We just de-winterize for a couple of quick winter trips then re-winterize. Takes about 30 minutes.
Makes sense. We camp year-round in NC, every month for at least a week, so we end up winterizing and de-winterizing 4 or 5 times, but it's well worth the small effort to be able to go all year.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
WFD

People tow all the time after winterizing, some winterize down south before heading home if it's still cold out, or vice versa.....people leave their winter homes with it winterized when heading south. I picked up our trailer in MIchigan, and it was winterized after PDI was done. I towed it over 1000 miles to get back home...no problems.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have done that a couple times with no down side observed. Just don't put too much water in holding tanks or dump them after use and then add a splash of AF to holding tanks.
Not to be obtuse, but I don't think it's a good idea to put any antifreeze in a plastic holding tank.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:

Not a problem at all. I almost always camp for Thanksgiving and there have been years that I have to winterize before that trip. I use gallons bottles of water, campground showers, and a portable Thetford porti-potty from my pop-up camper days.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:

Not a problem at all. I almost always camp for Thanksgiving and there have been years that I have to winterize before that trip. I use gallons bottles of water, campground showers, and a portable Thetford porti-potty from my pop-up camper days.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
Not to be obtuse, but I don't think it's a good idea to put any antifreeze in a plastic holding tank.

???? When u buy it its in plastic jugs.The pex is plastic,the traps are plastic.Find something in the water system that ISNT plastic? I always dump a couple gal in the tanks (thru the traps and toilet) because I know the floor of the tanks are not flat and level,so there is always water left in them after draining.This water could migrate into the dump valves and then they would freeze. In my lifetime I have probably either witerized(myself) or supervised the winterization of several thousand holding tanks and water systems.Ive never seen a tank or valve damaged from too much antifreeze.I was in the marina bussiness for 30 some years,so I do have some credibility.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
???? When u buy it its in plastic jugs.The pex is plastic,the traps are plastic.Find something in the water system that ISNT plastic? I always dump a couple gal in the tanks (thru the traps and toilet) because I know the floor of the tanks are not flat and level,so there is always water left in them after draining.This water could migrate into the dump valves and then they would freeze. In my lifetime I have probably either witerized(myself) or supervised the winterization of several thousand holding tanks and water systems.Ive never seen a tank or valve damaged from too much antifreeze.I was in the marina bussiness for 30 some years,so I do have some credibility.
I agree. Been doing this for a LOT of years. Never had a problem. Nothing there it can hurt.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I agree. Been doing this for a LOT of years. Never had a problem. Nothing there it can hurt.
I may have misunderstood. No issues with the waste water. I thought the suggestion was to add AF into the FW tank.

Sorry.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #16

Nothing to be sorry for unless you have already added af to fw!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I think tireman is talking about grey and black holding tanks, which we don't have on our A Frames. Not the fresh water tank, which would be dificult to fully drain. RV antifreeze, itself, is OK for use in plastics. All the plumbing in RVs is plastic.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, winter