Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Towing issue - pulling pushing

Hi all,

I got a new TV, 2017 Ford Explorer, class III tow package, 4WD and have notice a pushing/pulling feel from my 2015 A122s.

I notice the camper bouncing a lot on road bumps, more than it did with the Ram 1500 I towed with before.

But the feel inside the TV is that the camper is pushing and pulling, making the ride rougher than I think it should be.

I weighed everything today. Camper and tongue weight exceed the TV recommendations. Camper is about 300 over the 2000 lbs and tongue weight about 150 over the 200. . So I'll be getting a weight distribution hitch soon. That allows for 5000/500 lbs.

My question: Would the weight cause that feeling I get while towing? Could the WDH fix it? Should the A122 be bouncing around noticably?

Thanks!
mmanley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #2

I do not know that a WDH will do in your circumstances(that is the way to go). I am certain that a shorter wheel base will change your previous experience of towing.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The pushing/pulling you are describing will likely be helped by a properly adjusted WDH. Also switching from P rated tires to LT rated tires will likely be helpful if your rims can handle the upgrade. P tires are a softer tire that have more flex in the sidewall giving a smoother ride. When towing that will allow for more wandering of the TV. Airing the tires up to max pressure can help but LT tires are a stiffer tire that will help some. Also make sure your trailer is towing level. You may need less or more of a drop than previous TV.

In short I recommend first a wdh, second increase the air pressure in your tires 3rd LT tires. Keep in mind that a shorter wheelbase vehicle will feel the movement of the trailer more.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The pushing/pulling you are describing will likely be helped by a properly adjusted WDH. Also switching from P rated tires to LT rated tires will likely be helpful if your rims can handle the upgrade. P tires are a softer tire that have more flex in the sidewall giving a smoother ride. When towing that will allow for more wandering of the TV. Airing the tires up to max pressure can help but LT tires are a stiffer tire that will help some. Also make sure your trailer is towing level. You may need less or more of a drop than previous TV.

In short I recommend first a wdh, second increase the air pressure in your tires 3rd LT tires. Keep in mind that a shorter wheelbase vehicle will feel the movement of the trailer more.
The tires... on the TV or trailer? I'm not sure what I do have on either.
mmanley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Team

The TV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
rye

Are you using a trailer brake controller? I have an Xterra and A122 and use a brake controller. It may not be "required" for lighter campers but I like the peace of mind. It could also improve the feeling of having the camper pushing on you if it has its own brakes.

2014 Rockwood A122
6 nights of campering in 2018 (so far)
rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The TV.
correct.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanley1;1758037\
Camper is about 300 over the 2000 lbs and tongue weight about 150 over the 200. . So I'll be getting a weight distribution hitch soon. That allows for 5000/500 lbs.
Immediately. 300 over 2000 isn't that big a deal...150 over 200 is. Doesn't sound like much until you realize that it's 175% of the rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The pushing/pulling you are describing will likely be helped by a properly adjusted WDH. Also switching from P rated tires to LT rated tires will likely be helpful if your rims can handle the upgrade.
Agreed partially. WDH, yes. I started towing my popup (slightly heavier than yours) without one. Did ok without...night and day with. LT tires..not so much. Overkill for your payload. It'll ride like a tank most of the time. Honestly, P rated should be fine. I actually run XL rated P tires on mine. Kind of a compromise. Run stock pressure unless towing then run the pressure up while towing. Gives a softer ride for daily driving and a stiffer sidewall when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye View Post
Are you using a trailer brake controller?
Another must have. Big difference with a short wheelbase.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Probably already checked but did you check your trailer brakes make sure they are working properly as well not sure about your tv but mine has different levels for size trl
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #10

I'm by no means an expert however, I've been through the TV/trailer weight thing. Well actually still going through it since I haven't hit the scales yet.

There are some critical data items that are missing. You have a 2017 Explorer 4WD with tow package but, the GCWR and max trailer weight depends on the engine and rear end ratio. The tow guide calls for 3.5L/3.65 or 3.5L EB/3.16 as well as class III tow package for trailers between 2000# and 5000#

You also should check the yellow sticker inside the driver's door for payload and, in the interest of complete data, the GVWR, FAWR and RAWR on the other sticker. Finally, check the load limits on the hitch label, though I suspect you'll hit the GVWR or GCWR before you hit the hitch limits.

As others have said a WDH, and TBC (the A122 has brakes) are perhaps the most effective solution provided you are within the ratings on the various labels. Neither the WDH nor the TBC will help with additional strain on the TV due to excess axle loading, payload or exceeding tow weight limits.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

LT Tires and WDH

In some states it's illegal to use light truck tires in place of trailer tires. I have been told that it's illegal in Florida. A good H rated side wall tire helps. I'm running Maxxis 8000's on mine. I run between 75-80 psi but am told by the RV dealer that my wheels are only rated for 65 psi so I always have to keep close track of pressure. A good WDH like a Hensley, ProPride or Anderson really helps take the bounce out of the ride. I also installed air bags under my springs to level the truck when I loaded up. Hope this helps.
GGBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

Explorer Tow Vehicle

In 2011, I traded my Eddie Bauer Explorer for an F-150. The reason....Ford changed the chassis on the Explorer from a truck chassis to a Taurus chassis. They reduced the towing capacity significantly (from about 9,000# to about 3,000#, and reduced the size engines that were available. It sounds like your trailer is "pushing" the Explorer and in my words, "telling the tow vehicle where to go". For sure, you should never exceed the vehicle recommended tongue weight.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #13

On the truck, not the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBuck View Post
In some states it's illegal to use light truck tires in place of trailer tires. I have been told that it's illegal in Florida. A good H rated side wall tire helps. I'm running Maxxis 8000's on mine. I run between 75-80 psi but am told by the RV dealer that my wheels are only rated for 65 psi so I always have to keep close track of pressure. A good WDH like a Hensley, ProPride or Anderson really helps take the bounce out of the ride. I also installed air bags under my springs to level the truck when I loaded up. Hope this helps.
If you read the prior posts carefully, you will see that the recommendation was to put LT tires on the Ford Explorer Tow Vehicle (TV), not the trailer. Given that the actual tongue weight was twice the rated weight, it makes sense to do so.

The other recommendation, to use a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) to lessen the tongue weight, also makes sense.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If you read the prior posts carefully, you will see that the recommendation was to put LT tires on the Ford Explorer Tow Vehicle (TV), not the trailer. Given that the actual tongue weight was twice the rated weight, it makes sense to do so.

The other recommendation, to use a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) to lessen the tongue weight, also makes sense.

Larry
It would make sense to use LT tires for his application if he was pushing 1000 lbs TW...he's only about 400 lbs.

The suggestion that he use WDH wasn't so much to take the weight off the hitch as that he has two weight ratings on the vehicle. 200 lbs w/out WDH, 500 lbs with. That, and it won't hurt at all to push the front end down a little.

Honestly, a dialed in WDH will probably cure all his problems along with a brake controller.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBuck View Post
In some states it's illegal to use light truck tires in place of trailer tires. I have been told that it's illegal in Florida.
Never heard than one before. You can even use P rated tires as long as they are derated 10% which is what you do with LT tires as well.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

You better check the specs for your Explorer, just adding a WDH does not allow you to tow more, all it does is shift weight from the front wheels to the rear. And since you say you are already over weight its not going to help much. Here is a link to Ford which shows various engines and axle ratios for the Explorer, once you figure which options you have it shows max towing capacity.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...lorer_Sep7.pdf
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
You better check the specs for your Explorer, just adding a WDH does not allow you to tow more, all it does is shift weight from the front wheels to the rear. And since you say you are already over weight its not going to help much. Here is a link to Ford which shows various engines and axle ratios for the Explorer, once you figure which options you have it shows max towing capacity.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...lorer_Sep7.pdf
Take a closer look at the PDF you linked, it clearly states that 5,000lb max tow is only with a WDH.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Take a closer look at the PDF you linked, it clearly states that 5,000lb max tow is only with a WDH.
You have to look at the chart above that area, certain engines and axles max at 2000# others max at 5000# with a WDH, most 2000# capacity vehicles don't come with a hitch that can use a WDH. I have never seen a vehicle that has a max tow of 2000# go to 5000# just by using a WDH.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
You have to look at the chart above that area, certain engines and axles max at 2000# others max at 5000# with a WDH, most 2000# capacity vehicles don't come with a hitch that can use a WDH. I have never seen a vehicle that has a max tow of 2000# go to 5000# just by using a WDH.
You're missing the bigger picture and are only looking at max weights. Ford states...

Quote:
For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle’s underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing.
Point being, on many smaller vehicles the max tow is only achievable when using a WDH, without one you are limited to towing less than the vehicle's max tow rating. Been this way for years.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You're missing the bigger picture and are only looking at max weights. Ford states...

Point being, on many smaller vehicles the max tow is only achievable when using a WDH, without one you are limited to towing less than the vehicle's max tow rating. Been this way for years.
You are looking at it all wrong. An Explorer that has a max tow capacity of 2000# has a max tongue weight of 300# =15%, these vehicles are not rated for a WDH. its always on the sticker on the hitch, its not the proper class for a WDH. The 3500# reference is for the Explorer models with a max tow capacity of 5000#, use standard hitch under 3500# and WDH over 3500# up to 5000# max. And yes you can use a WDH on either the under or over 3500# trailer on the 5000# rated Explorer.

Tags
towing