Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Towing questions?

So I just bought a T12RB and plan on towing it with my 1998 Toyota T100. Heres where my problem lies, the T100 only has a flat 4 electrical connection, I wired it into a 6 blade modern connector and all the tail-lights, turn signals, etc work, but there does not seem to be any power charging the battery? And I don't have a electric brake controller on the truck yet, not sure if it is needed with such a light trailer.

Any suggestions as to how to remedy the charging situation and is a brake controller needed?

Thanks
Gerry O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

If the trailer manufacturer put electric brakes on the tt, then they are saying you have to have them hooked up and functional to be able to safely stop your trailer.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

My trailer came with a 7 pin connector and the center pin was 12 volts. I would Google, 7 pin connector for trailer wiring. There is not a wiring Diagram of the trailer wiring so you would need to hand trace to see where the center wire goes. there maybe a fuse.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

Wiring info: Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

This is the connector that was originally on your camper. The charge line is on pin four while the center is an unused auxiliary. The most common thing I read the aux to be used for is to activate backup lighting on the camper.

Check with your state to see if a camper with the GVWR requires brakes where you live, but most likely it does. Since brakes are already on there, it would certainly be safer to have a controller added, wires run for the brakes and charge line and the jack for the Bargman connector installed.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, my mistake it is a 7-way round Bargman connecter (was not counting the center one), I think I will take it to a expert to have it wired correctly and with a brake controller.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry O View Post
Thanks for all the replies, my mistake it is a 7-way round Bargman connecter (was not counting the center one), I think I will take it to a expert to have it wired correctly and with a brake controller.
Good plan!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry O View Post
My experience is that finding a good commercial trailer shop is a great benefit for camper owners. They do stuff like this all the time and are used to working on all sorts of TVs. They can also do frame, suspension and lighting work on the camper, since those systems are no different than any other trailer. They usually do the work on one day.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

Yes, I'm going to start searching around the Sacramento area today, unless anyone know of a good commercial trailer shop?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

U-Haul is good for hitches and brake controllers

If you don't have a good RV place nearby I would also suggest U-Haul. In May we got our Rockwood A192HW camper which I am towing with a 2012 Toyota Sienna Van. I needed to upgrade the hitch I had and U-Haul has a good selection of hitches to choose from. Also, had them install a Prodigy P2 Brake Controller. Just got back two weeks ago on a 5700 mile trip from Florida to the northwest corner of Minnesota, where my DW is from, and then followed the north shore of Lake Superior from Duluth into Canada and back into the states and Sault St. Marie and then back to Florida. We setup camp 16 times. With the A-frame that is a snap. Van pulled trailer quite well and no problems throughout the trip.

Two other things though. If you have a HW (high wall), you probably cannot see over the top of the camper and so need towing mirrors. Again, U-Haul has an Universal Towing Mirror that you can attach to your rear view mirror. We did and it worked great. Just be sure you have a pair of vice-grips along so that you can tighten it down sufficiently. Also, the tongue wt. on my camper was higher than I expected (470lbs.). So, I also had installed an Equalizer E2 wt. distribution system with sway control. I am so glad I did because the trailer pulled like a charm and was completely level through most of the trip, that is until I had used most of the gas in my two propane tanks. Hope this helps.

Jack
macjack39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing