Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Towing- Refrigerator?

Need to know if you tow with you refrigerator on propane or 12v?
Thanks!
God Bless
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
Site Team

You can do either but I preferred using propane over 12v, on our popups' fridges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Towing-Refrigerator

Yes, you can do either, but why use up propane when you can run the fridge right off a system that is being re-charged as you go? Why fool around with getting a pilot light lit when you can just flip the AC switch off and the DC on (especially if it's raining)? Only time I use propane for the fridge is when I'm off the grid.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Site Team

If you have a fridge that operates on 12V it is possible to run on 12v when towing if you are aware of the following.

1. Many TV have the 12Vaux wiring installed as part of the tow package, but the fuse and if used the protection relay is not installed in the fuse block so the pin on the connector is dead. Check you fuse block for the fuse and relay9 if used).

2. Most wiring harnesses do not use heavy enough wire to provide adequate power to the fridge while towing so you may deplete some battery. This is easy to check by measuring 12V line at fridge with TV running and fridge on.

3. If you vehicle is equipped with a protection relay, the 12V aux pin is disabled when the vehicle is off ( parked during an enroute meal). if you do not have the protection relay, it is possible to kill the TV battery if stopped for a long period of time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had a Trailmanor with a 3 way fridge, and always used the 12 volt mode to keep the fridge cold with nary a problem. But with the Trailmanor, the fridge vents were blocked because the clam shells came down over the fridge vents.

When stopped for extended periods of time, I would remove the fuse to the Trailmanor 12 volt system (and put in on the drivers seat so I wouldn't forget to reinstall it) so the fridge would not run the battery down. My truck had an isolation circuit to the trailer circuit, so there was no way the fridge would drain my truck battery.......just the trailer battery.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

Running on propane can be hit or miss. Mine blew out late in the trip both ways this weekend. So if you do use propane, check that it is on when you get to camp.

IME, the 12V from the TV is insufficient to run the fridge properly and it will discharge the battery. So when going dry camping, I don't think about taking the chance on loosing battery charge by running the fridge on 12V.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you have a fridge that operates on 12V it is possible to run on 12v when towing if you are aware of the following.

2. Most wiring harnesses do not use heavy enough wire to provide adequate power to the fridge while towing so you may deplete some battery. This is easy to check by measuring 12V line at fridge with TV running and fridge on.
Actually, the best measurement to take is at the camper battery (hooked up, with fridge on DC and TV running). If you are seeing over 13 volts at the battery, you will not discharge the camper battery while driving.

Having spent many years not too far from Norfolk, VA area, I put the fridge on DC when driving. This avoids having to shut down the propane for the tunnels, and restart afterwards. And I have also experienced the flame-out when on propane at highway speeds. The continuous-run fridges in A-frames and PUPs will not restart themselves automatically on propane (travel trailers and some high walls will).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Site Team

I run propane while towing. Lots of threads on this topic. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, towing