Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
The sticker recommends 50 psi cold tire
If that is how the original tires on your camper are rated, certainly stay with that as the max rated pressure as long as you have those tires.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #22

Exactly, Tom. There's no way I would add more air than recommended by the manufacturer despite what anyone says. If max cold air is 50, that what it gets & that's what we run.

I do not think the dealer was out of his mind, he had his dealership long enough to observe and draw his own conclusions of common repairs experienced by his dealership. This was something he said in general conversation due to his location & comments about people adding air at the bottom of the hill, forgetting to adjust and tire blowing when returning home, going back up.

My apologies for not completely explaining the entire conversation, I forget how quickly people respond to things in this forum and easy to jump to conclusion of a stupid dealer (which I don't believe for one second LOL) it was me trying to abbreviate a conversation and not doing it so well.

And to further clarify, he was talking about my specific trailer tires for 50 psi cold max, not ALL trailer tires AND this IS the same number on the tire itself.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Westlake super st st185/80r13
An ST-tire is calculated in its maximum load for lower speed ( 65m/104km/h).
For that lower speed more deflection is allowed before the tire gets to hot so rubber hardens and damages at next bendings , so deflections.

Better would be to give the tire lesser deflection, the same it would need for 160km/99m/h, for wich LT tires are calculated in their maximum load.
Then still no bumping and centre wear of tire.
And gives as much possible reserve for things like:
Pressure-loss in time.
Misreadings of pressure.
Misyudging of actual load on tire.
Unequall load R/L wich can be as high as 10% difference ( weightdivision R/L of 45%/55%).
Lesser fuel consumption.

So if you can produce as much possible accurate data , I can calculate between wich pressure the tire is save and still comfort ( for the trailer?!)and gripp acceptable.
Can be even that it gives higher pressure then your AT-pressure of 65 psi, but this is not the maximum pressure of the tire, and most tire-makers allow 10 psi above it, and advice it for higher speed or better riding quality.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
So by using Nitrogen there should be less atmospheric issues with travelling in the mountains. Seems like a good thing to look at.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #25

@ B& B
Lets leave Nitrogen filling out of this discussion.
Nitrogen filled tires react the same on pressure rising and outside pressure ( high in the mountains) as any gas compound like air.
Only water in tire can have a serious effect on pressure when higher inside tire temperature , but not for altitude.

Made a document about that normal air filling is even better then Nitrogen filling, yust because of the water in it.
Already placed it in another topic on this forum , and will search it back and edit the link to it.

Already calculated roughly that you wil get 5 drops of water in a pretty large car tire by pumping with a compressor that puts all the water of the outside air in tire when pumping up to 2 bar/29 psi. This would give extra rising of the pressure only by the water , of less then 0.7 psi , so what are we talking about.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #26

Wayted to long to edit the link to the topic on this forum in wich I posted my document mentioned in last post here, see post #11 there.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-77393-2.html
Old 06-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Exactly, Tom. There's no way I would add more air than recommended by the manufacturer despite what anyone says. If max cold air is 50, that what it gets & that's what we run.
People tend to answer based on personal experience and assumptions. But each type of camper is different within each type there are differences. Your sticker calls for ST205/175R14/C tires at 50# while mine says ST175/80R13/D at 65#. So as you say, run at the max manufactures rated pressure and ignore advice to the contrary.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #28

for me .... 10lbs below the recommended pressure .... and replace and balance every 5 years .. no matter what ...

d-mo
Old 06-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #29

In the "old days" it was common practice

to inflate less than the max pressure if the load was to be less than max.

The problem with that practice was that sometimes the load needed to be increased for a given situation, but time was not taken to increase the tire pressure up for the higher load. Hence, many problems...

Best to stay at the recommended max.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, trailer