Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

Traveling to Garner State Park

Leaving Monday morning headed to Garner State Park for a few days.

Can anyone give me advice on construction on I-10 from Houston to San Antonio? Or any other problem areas?

Thanks

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

I ran through in September, at least from Sealey where I caught I10. From there it wasn't bad at all. Of course, that was six months ago.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

This website can be very useful:

Drive Texas - Static Map

Remember, road construction in Texas is a way of life!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Website is the best. Phone 800-452-9292. With Apps for everything you would think someone smart would create a Texas Hiways Map App.
You can also use the Waze App for traffic as well.
Happy tripping.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

Not sure about the highway. We were there a year ago and went south from Temple never took I10. One more thing, cell service is bad to non existent when you cross I10 and head south on 83 to Leakey and if you have Verizon there is no cell service at all in Garner SP. At&T only. It's a big SP and the Frio is pretty.
Cheers.
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #6

Live in Greater San Antonio

Your best bet is I10 east to San Antonio . It is also State Highway 90 In San Antonio I10 splits off - stay on 90 thru to your destination. In San Antonio - there is construction from about the turn off to Sea world - to the 1604 exit before Castroville but as long as you are not there from about 3pm to 6pm traffic is light.
dougsavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

I10 to Garner Park

Just stay off I10 out of Houston on Friday afternoons; every one leaving for the country. Myrt
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Not sure if y'all ever been to Garner, but we were there in February. It's a great park, minus the check it and registration process. It was like being at the DMV, and this was the off season. So just be ready. We Northwest of San Antonio, so I can help on the I10 traffic question.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Houston to Garner SP

My wife just returned from Houston to Hondo (US 90). No problems with construction on I-10 from Houston to San Antonio. Just make sure you switch from I-10 to US 90 in San Antonio.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Are you staying in the park or a private campground? I have not stayed in the park in over 20 years. It became way crowded, and I could not abide Tejano music blasting all night long from inconsiderate neighbors. Manyu nice private parks and you can always visit Garner during the day.
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

Garner park

I have heard the same loudness about the park. I have heard the place to stay is private park but I don't know their name.
br23mat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #12

Made it back from Garner State Park yesterday about 5:00 pm...no problems. Took almost 6 hours to get there from Pasadena due to getting caught in rush hour Houston traffic and slight mist making roads slippery.

Check in was a breeze...walked in straight to the front desk and was gone in about 10 minutes. We camped in the old section which was near the river...we could actually see the river from our site. Very few campers....no noise other than the birds.

Wife went on two hikes and kayaked...Due to arthretis in my feet I'm limited on what I can do so I mostly sat around and read and laid in the hammock...which was totally fine with me. I did kayak for a little while...rode my bike some.

Oh yea, since I couldn't do any walking my wife let me do all the cooking and cleaning up...she is always thinking of me.....she is a keeper. LOL.

The hills were pretty.....saw blue bonnets on the way back along I-10....got back home in a little over 5 hours....more rush hour traffic...I hate houston traffic.

All in all a good time.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #13

Glad you enjoyed yourself, there's nothing better than unplugging and simply relaxing for awhile. You are correct about Houston traffic, it is an abomination against the motoring public.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
Check in was a breeze...walked in straight to the front desk and was gone in about 10 minutes. We camped in the old section which was near the river...we could actually see the river from our site. Very few campers....no noise other than the birds.
Not a bad place, my parents actually park hosted there for a few months year before last. It's like any other place with water. Idiots are attracted to water so I try to avoid it. Sundays through Thursdays are the way to go. Not a lot of people even during peak season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
You are correct about Houston traffic, it is an abomination against the motoring public.
I just finished driving I 10 from Florida a few hours ago.....it's just as bad elsewhere. I've discovered that every region has it's own particular brand of idiot on the road.

Tags
travel